Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Zuider Zee's n Arlington and on East Lancaster in fort Worth had the best ones. Long, skinny ones, could just fill up on them!
That is them. Love'em. There is a place called Restaurant Depot that is open to business and this is where you will find most restaurants go for their supplies. They come in a 10 lb box so get some friends are be REALLY HUNGRY!!! Btw, I'm available and will supply the butter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

By contrast, the small middle class and the wealthy in interior Mexico eat these foods, too, but they're considered snacks or side dishes, rather than the main meal. Interior Mexican food is much more varied and rich....all kinds of meats, rich chile sauces, soups, veggies, etc.

I love 'em all.

And boy, do I miss it.
One time we had been visiting Mexico and on our last day there we were at one of the finer restaurants where we ordered t-bone steaks, baked potatoes, salad and of course this is served with their delicious hard rolls. I decided I had to have just one more taco as this place did make real good ones, so I called the waiter over and asked for one taco on the side. When they brought our food, lo and behold, in addition to a huge steak and potato, salad, thre is a platter with not one, but two tacos, refried beans, rice. I had more on it than on a complete entree up here. Yes, I was one stuffed puppy and in no way even began to finish it all.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Hushpuppies are hit and miss, imo, depending on the restaurant. My favorite is actually my own recipe, well it's not MY recipe but Justin Wilson's and his are the only hushpuppies that I make. Yum, yum!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 24,094 times
I think I would go for a nice big Cobb Salad. Grilled chicken, boiled eggs, crispy bacon, avacado, cheddar and monterey jack cheese, olives, onions all covered in blue cheese dressing....mmmm

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
One time we had been visiting Mexico and on our last day there we were at one of the finer restaurants where we ordered t-bone steaks, baked potatoes, salad and of course this is served with their delicious hard rolls. I decided I had to have just one more taco as this place did make real good ones, so I called the waiter over and asked for one taco on the side. When they brought our food, lo and behold, in addition to a huge steak and potato, salad, thre is a platter with not one, but two tacos, refried beans, rice. I had more on it than on a complete entree up here. Yes, I was one stuffed puppy and in no way even began to finish it all.
Were those delicious hard rolls very yeasty, oblong-shaped, crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside? If so, those were bolillos....I have not been able to find any in the US that even come close, though they look the same--not even in the border towns.

I have an authentic recipe for them, but they are so much trouble, LOL!!

And yep, I BET you did waddle out of there, LOL!!!

Speaking of interior Mexican food, I have a recipe for chicken breast with poblano cream sauce....and that is for lunch one day!!! I don't think I've ever had any better food than theirs. While I do love TexMex (and I MISS it here in Alamogordo), interior food is so much more varied, and even better.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 AM

43 posts, read 142,183 times
After reading the various "Last Meal" selections of this group I would suspect that, whatever one had anticipated as the cause of their imminent demise, after eating these huge masses of food the actual cause of death would be heartburn.

I also wonder whether everyone here is being entirely forthcoming. We've evolved way beyond standard Southern Cooking and Tex/Mex as demonstrated by the fact that Sushi Bars are in the top five most common restaurant types in Dallas.

I like a good chicken fried steak will cream gravy as much as anyone but it sure wouldn't be my choice for my last meal on Earth.

The meal I had last Saturday night at La Methode in Paris (France not Texas) was more like it.

Palourdes (small clams) cooked with vast amounts of butter and garlic to start. Then tender slices of roast lamb still pink and juicy with a rich gravy made with the pan juices, steamed new potatoes, tiny baby green beans lightly sautéed with some porcini mushrooms and lots of real, crunchy crusted proper French bread to wipe up every single drop of the garlic butter on the clams and gravy from the lamb. A simply fruity Beaujolais Village was a perfect complement to the rich first course and main plate. Then, for dessert, caramelized pears served with a scope of vanilla ice cream from Berthelion, the greatest ice cream maker in the world, and drizzled with a bit of pear flavored brandy. Several cups of inky black espresso with a snifter of Calvados, the apple brandy from Normandy, were required afterwards to muster up the energy to rise from the table.

Now THAT was a meal fit to be one's last in this veil of tears.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillifane View Post
After reading the various "Last Meal" selections of this group I would suspect that, whatever one had anticipated as the cause of their imminent demise, after eating these huge masses of food the actual cause of death would be heartburn.
Welll, you have a point there, but my dear ol' granpappy's and grammaws lived way up until their late 80's and 90's and, if heartburn were the problem after one of them good 'ol Texas meals, then the cure was a bit of baking soda mixed in a glass of water!

Quote:
I also wonder whether everyone here is being entirely forthcoming. We've evolved way beyond standard Southern Cooking and Tex/Mex as demonstrated by the fact that Sushi Bars are in the top five most common restaurant types in Dallas.
??? I really did enjoy reading your post, but this particular observation takes on a note of "airs." Evolved way beyond...what? Our basic roots? Hell's belles, the fact that "Sushi Bars" are in the top five most common restaurants in Dallas just goes to show there are parts of Dallas where either true Texans don't live anymore. Or that they are cosmopolitan wannabees totally confused about what good fish really is. Hee Hee

Quote:
The meal I had last Saturday night at La Methode in Paris (France not Texas) was more like it.

Palourdes (small clams) cooked with vast amounts of butter and garlic to start. Then tender slices of roast lamb still pink and juicy with a rich gravy made with the pan juices, steamed new potatoes, tiny baby green beans lightly sautéed with some porcini mushrooms and lots of real, crunchy crusted proper French bread to wipe up every single drop of the garlic butter on the clams and gravy from the lamb. A simply fruity Beaujolais Village was a perfect complement to the rich first course and main plate. Then, for dessert, caramelized pears served with a scope of vanilla ice cream from Berthelion, the greatest ice cream maker in the world, and drizzled with a bit of pear flavored brandy. Several cups of inky black espresso with a snifter of Calvados, the apple brandy from Normandy, were required afterwards to muster up the energy to rise from the table.
Sounds "simply divine". No offense nor disrespect intended of course, if I say in turn I'd rather eat a mess of catfish and turnip greens and hushpuppies at "Fat Bubba's BBQ and Bait House" (if it exists) in Paris, TEXAS, than all that stuff you said. And afterwards? Walk out into the parking lot with Joe Bob and Bill, pickin' our teeth with the toothpicks available in the little roladex type thingy at the counter where we paid the bill... and ask 'em if they wanted to go have a coupla' beers down at Sam's Bar before we went out running the trot line.

Quote:
Now THAT was a meal fit to be one's last in this veil of tears.
Again, no offense intended. But I didn't never quite get thru reading all the items you mentioned. I was too busy thinkin', oh man, wouldn't a plate of fried okree and black-eyed peas and greasy Southern fried chicken be good about now....

Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 PM

43 posts, read 142,183 times
Well TexasReb, to each his own.

People everywhere can choose to stay where they started or become more. Expanding one's horizons as to food is just another aspect of personal growth. Our tastes in food begin at our mother's breast and grow to include mom's cooking. Some people just leave it at that but I suggest that expanding one's culinary horizons is a good thing. Do you really disagree with that notion?

Other than air and water, nothing is more fundamental to human life than food and the types of foods we eat and the way we prepare them has molded culture and community since the dawn of civilization some 50,000 years ago.

Knowing food leads to knowing languages and cultures and perhaps if we Americans were a bit better informed about cultures other than our own we'd be better able to exercise our role as the world's only superpower more effectively.

I may live in little rural Flint Texas (pop 252) but there are few places or people on this planet that are unfamiliar to me. Is my situation better or worse because I do not limit myself to chicken fried steak when I think of good food?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Well TexasReb, to each his own.
You are right on this one. I like Texas and Southern food. You like that served in gay Paree...

Quote:
People everywhere can choose to stay where they started or become more. Expanding one's horizons as to food is just another aspect of personal growth. Our tastes in food begin at our mother's breast and grow to include mom's cooking. Some people just leave it at that but I suggest that expanding one's culinary horizons is a good thing. Do you really disagree with that notion?
Let me back up and FIRST of all say, that I don't want to get into a "flame" war. I enjoy visiting and talking with fellow Texans, even in disagreement, and don't take that disagreement personally. BUT...I will be upfront with you in saying your points take on a note of condecension. To that, all I can say is, for all my time spent in Texas bait, catfish and beer joints...don't go mistakin' me for a whole 'nother 'body!

In this case, you seem to smugly assume that those of us who prefer traditional Texas cruisine are "limiting" our horizens, personal growth, whatever. Hey? Does the notion ever occur to you that perhaps some of us HAVE experienced the beyond and decided we like what we find here best? NOTHING wrong at all, as you "suggest" (thanks, we backward country boys often need a nudge in the proper direction, doncha know) of "expanding the horizens", in a culinary sense. Why do you assume I disagree with such a thought? What I take a bit of umbrage over is that you seem to reflexively assume that there might not be good reasons for discovering for ourselves that the grass isn't greener on the other side. Sushi? Enjoy it. I like catfish. Wanna compare IQ's and world visions?

Quote:
Other than air and water, nothing is more fundamental to human life than food and the types of foods we eat and the way we prepare them has molded culture and community since the dawn of civilization some 50,000 years ago.
Thanks for this lesson in biology and anthropology! The Good Lord only knows my ignorance of the lecture points beforehand. I'd either have to have have learned how to live by osmosis, or hollered at you on the matter...

Quote:
Knowing food leads to knowing languages and cultures and perhaps if we Americans were a bit better informed about cultures other than our own we'd be better able to exercise our role as the world's only superpower more effectively.
It does? You mean if I order Chinese food tonight it will lead to me being able to speak Mandurin good within a few weeks? Hot damn...if I had known THAT, then I would have been eating Maine Lobsters and Boston beans all this time so I could understand "yankee talk" better!

But seriously, spare this almost supercilious lecture. Personally, I think that with all those being willing to do anything to break into OUR country, then they need to learn the virtues of properly frying okra.

Quote:
I may live in little rural Flint Texas (pop 252) but there are few places or people on this planet that are unfamiliar to me. Is my situation better or worse because I do not limit myself to chicken fried steak when I think of good food?
Ahhhh...that says it all. You "may live" in Flint, Texas but the rest of the world is your oyster? Oh gawd...LMAO

*sighs* After recovering from my laughing fit here, the only thing I can marvel about is how the rest of the world gets along without you...?

P.S. I hope, next time you are in Hong Kong, or Tokyo...and speading the brotherhood of bread, be sure and tell 'em that cornbread ain't got no sugar in it!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-03-2007 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You are right on this one. I like Texas and Southern food. You like that served in gay Paree...

Let me back up and FIRST of all say, that I don't want to get into a "flame" war. I enjoy visiting and talking with fellow Texans, even in disagreement, and don't take that disagreement personally. BUT...I will be upfront with you in saying your points take on a note of condecension. To that, all I can say is, for all my time spent in Texas bait, catfish and beer joints...don't go mistakin' me for a whole 'nother 'body!

In this case, you seem to smugly assume that those of us who prefer traditional Texas cruisine are "limiting" our horizens, personal growth, whatever. Hey? Does the notion ever occur to you that perhaps some of us HAVE experienced the beyond and decided we like what we find here best? NOTHING wrong at all, as you "suggest" (thanks, we backward country boys often need a nudge in the proper direction, doncha know) of "expanding the horizens", in a culinary sense. Why do you assume I disagree with such a thought? What I take a bit of umbrage over is that you seem to reflexively assume that there might not be good reasons for discovering for ourselves that the grass isn't greener on the other side. Sushi? Enjoy it. I like catfish. Wanna compare IQ's and world visions?

Thanks for this lesson in biology and anthropology! The Good Lord only knows my ignorance of the lecture points beforehand. I'd either have to have have learned how to live by osmosis, or hollered at you on the matter...

It does? You mean if I order Chinese food tonight it will lead to me being able to speak Mandurin good within a few weeks? Hot damn...if I had known THAT, then I would have been eating Maine Lobsters and Boston beans all this time so I could understand "yankee talk" better!

But seriously, spare this almost supercilious lecture. Personally, I think that with all those being willing to do anything to break into OUR country, then they need to learn the virtues of properly frying okra.

Ahhhh...that says it all. You "may live" in Flint, Texas but the rest of the world is your oyster? Oh gawd...LMAO

*sighs* After recovering from my laughing fit here, the only thing I can marvel about is how the rest of the world gets along without you...?

P.S. I hope, next time you are in Hong Kong, or Tokyo...and speading the brotherhood of bread, be sure and tell 'em that cornbread ain't got no sugar in it!

Priceless! Not only did you plan a fine meal,
you proved yourself to be very adept at chewing 'em up and spitting 'em out
with the best of Texas flair!
I salute you!
Well done, indeed!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-03-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas