Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM

13 posts, read 32,440 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are moving from Houston to Beaumont in 2 months due to job transfers and I need suggestions on where to live. My husband will be working in Port Aurthur and I will be closer to downtown Beaumont. Is there anything like the Houston Heights in Beaumont? Recommendations on good suburb neighborhoods or apartment complexes? We haven't decided if we will buy or rent yet, but will need 3 bedrooms. Budget up to $1500/ month for renting.

Also, any recommendations for good daycare? We have a little one who turns 2 in March that will need full time daycare.

Thanks on advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM

517 posts, read 1,047,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es009j View Post
Hi. We are moving from Houston to Beaumont in 2 months due to job transfers and I need suggestions on where to live. My husband will be working in Port Aurthur and I will be closer to downtown Beaumont. Is there anything like the Houston Heights in Beaumont? Recommendations on good suburb neighborhoods or apartment complexes? We haven't decided if we will buy or rent yet, but will need 3 bedrooms. Budget up to $1500/ month for renting.

Also, any recommendations for good daycare? We have a little one who turns 2 in March that will need full time daycare.

I don't know what Houston Hieghts is like, but you should be able to find something in Mid-County that would be to your liking. Port Neches or Nederland is where you want to look. There are some places near HWY 365 and 9th Ave that are listed as Port Arthur but are still in the Mid County area.

nederland tx - Google Maps

From the 365 and 9th street area to down town Beaumont is about 20 minutes and the from the same area to the refineries is about 15 minutes. The school districts have a reputation as being good. However, when I last lived down there I lived across the river in Orange County.

Parkwood Dr to Calder Ave - Google Maps

It is about 30 minutes to downtown Beaumont and about 35 minutes to the refineries in Port Arthur.

There will be almost nothing you want to rent in Orange County. However the houses are not expensive. On the other hand you will find yourself driving into Jefferson County for Christmas shopping and other stuff.

As you have small children, I would recommend you check into renting in Mid County for a while then see what happens after that.

Sorry I can't be of help on the day care, all my rug rats have hit the door.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,694 times
Quote:

You definitely do not want your child going to Beaumont or Port Arthur ISD. Look into Nederland or Groves if you want to live in Mid-county. You can find something in your price range.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,232,211 times
Yep Mid County.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,027,071 times
People don't pick the Houston Heights because they want non-urban schools. EEK!

If you are looking for a neighborhood similar to the Heights I would look in the area between St. Elizabeth Hospital and downtown, north and south of Calder. It has been a while since I was in the Beaumont area, so someone more current can help you more.

Nederland and PN-G are great choices for people who would NOT like the Houston Heights!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,232,211 times
Beaumont schools aren't that great, and that's putting it mildly. That's why people are recommending Mid County.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,694,690 times
Screw the schools the whole area is crappy and that includes mid county..nederland and portneches have stuck up teachers while pa and beaumont isd have ghetto ones..pick ur poison

Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_of_Reason View Post
Screw the schools the whole area is crappy and that includes mid county..nederland and portneches have stuck up teachers while pa and beaumont isd have ghetto ones..pick ur poison
LOL I read a page of your previous posts because I didn't recognize you as a regular ... ... hilarious stuff. Have you graduated middle school yet? Are you really qualified to pass judgement on the high school teachers ? Your "relationships" posts were especially revealing!

Words of advice ... correct punctuation and spelling can be positive tools when communicating using the written word!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,593,334 times
Quote:

I know absolutely nothing about Houston Heights. Please describe the neighborhood and what you want in:

driving distances to work and school

shopping

schools (do they come into play?)

Personally if you want an in town location I like the older Gladys street areas. The newer stuff is going up a lot out off of Major Drive.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,694,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
LOL I read a page of your previous posts because I didn't recognize you as a regular ... ... hilarious stuff. Have you graduated middle school yet? Are you really qualified to pass judgement on the high school teachers ? Your "relationships" posts were especially revealing!

Words of advice ... correct punctuation and spelling can be positive tools when communicating using the written word!
If u must know, yes i am..is it any of ur business? Not really. I wasnt talking to u and i was answering the Ops question. I also communicate with my phone. This is a forum, not grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas