Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times

Advertisements

We're a young couples--in our 20s--and don't yet have kids. But we plan on having several--yes, several--and we're also looking for a larger metro area that would fit us best. Most of all, I'm hoping to find a generally socially conservative--and economically conservative, too, although that issue set is less important--area. I'm hoping for a generally church-going, extremely family-friendly kind of area. More "traditional mid-American" and, perhaps, a less cosmopolitan. Although I am hoping for a sophisticated flair, which most Texas cities provide, as far as I know. We plan on living in the suburbs, and so we prefer a city with nicer suburbs. Here are a few other considerations:

* We're rather outdoorsy, and would appreciate access to hiking spots and other outdoors ammenities.

* I'm not much into glitz and glamour, so I'd prefer an area/city that is a little more laid-back. More friendly, maybe, and less materialism, if I can put it like that.

* I'm Catholic, and I"m hoping for a city with a large, young, robust, dynamic, and especially orthodox diocese and population.

* I'm also hoping for a more academic city (though probably not Austin).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
GoneNative,

I don't know how you go anti-cosmopolitan, yet sophisticated; that's a bit of a trick. Strong Catholic communities, however, exist in all three cities, and finding strong dioceses will not be difficult at all.

San Antonio's college scene is right up your alley, and might be a good community tie-in. I know people *from* Houston, but I've not been in the community down there for a bit. It's probably the most cosmop-- no, it's DEFINITELY the most cosmopolitan of the three. DFW or SA would probably be better fits for you.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Getting sophisticated burbs would leave dfw as the only option.

You are not going to get Midwest values in any burb in SA and the only burbs that are sophisticated in Houston are also very cosmopolitan (although still conservative)

Texas conservative is more fiscal than social in the big cities. Its the far burbs and smaller Towns that are country social conservatives.

Anyway closest to the weird mix you are looking for would be dfw

Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
We're a young couples--in our 20s--and don't yet have kids. But we plan on having several--yes, several--and we're also looking for a larger metro area that would fit us best. Most of all, I'm hoping to find a generally socially conservative--and economically conservative, too, although that issue set is less important--area. I'm hoping for a generally church-going, extremely family-friendly kind of area. More "traditional mid-American" and, perhaps, a less cosmopolitan. Although I am hoping for a sophisticated flair, which most Texas cities provide, as far as I know. We plan on living in the suburbs, and so we prefer a city with nicer suburbs. Here are a few other considerations:

* We're rather outdoorsy, and would appreciate access to hiking spots and other outdoors ammenities.

* I'm not much into glitz and glamour, so I'd prefer an area/city that is a little more laid-back. More friendly, maybe, and less materialism, if I can put it like that.

* I'm Catholic, and I"m hoping for a city with a large, young, robust, dynamic, and especially orthodox diocese and population.

* I'm also hoping for a more academic city (though probably not Austin).

Thanks.
First off, welcome to Texas. Where are you moving from?

You might want to reconsider a suburb of Austin. Williamson County is pretty conservative and you can find Middle America values while still being close to outdoor activities. Austin itself is very liberal, but not really the burbs.

Given your second point (about the glitz and materialism), take Dallas and the inner ring suburbs of Dallas off your list. I live on the Dallas side and love it, but Im a liberal obsessed with diversity and good food that doesnt care about conservative values or laid-backness. I dont see you loving Houston either. However, the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex as well as the suburbs of San Antonio might work well for you. There are some suburbs on the North and West side of Fort Worth and the North side of San Antonio that would probably work well. Outdoor activities are going to be better in San Antonio than Fort Worth. The Fort Worth side of the Metroplex is a lot more conservative than the Dallas side (suburbs included). Another good rule of thumb is that all the major urban areas in Texas are liberal, the inner ring burbs are moderate, the suburbs as a whole are conservative, and the exurbs and rural areas are hardcore conservative.

All the places you are looking at have large Catholic communities. I wouldnt worry there.

None of the cities you are looking at are particularly acedemic. Houston has Rice which is a highly regarded University and DFW has UT Dallas, TCU, and SMU but they are all very expensive.

Hope that help!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

Austin is the best for this. Since you don't want Austin, San Antonio would be the next best.
* I'm not much into glitz and glamour, so I'd prefer an area/city that is a little more laid-back. More friendly, maybe, and less materialism, if I can put it like that. Definitely eliminate DFW, San Antonio is the most laid back, followed by Houston.

* I'm Catholic, and I"m hoping for a city with a large, young, robust, dynamic, and especially orthodox diocese and population. San Antonio's Hispanic population would be the most Catholic, and SA is definitely the least cosmopolitan out of the three.

* I'm also hoping for a more academic city (though probably not Austin). Without Austin, toss up between Houston and DFW.

Thanks.
Answers in bold. As far as finding the fine line between "traditional mid-American values" mixed with a "sophisticated flair", I'm at a loss. The only burb that pops in my head is Denton in northern DFW.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Move to Oak Lawn or Deep Ellum in Dallas or Montrose in Houston.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Of you want conservative, you need to look at Tarrant County. It was the only major metro area in the state to stay Republican in the 2012 presidential election. The northeast Tarrant suburbs are some of the state's most conservative areas.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
I agree with all who say Fort Worth/Tarrant County. It's the only county containing a major Texas city that went Republican in 2012. Tarrant County is mostly Southern Baptist, though and I have no idea about the Catholic community there.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
There are several good Catholic Churches in NE Tarrant. I'm not catholic, but I have several friends who are and they love their church homes! I would not say this area is primarily Soithern Baptist at all. There are many different denominations here and they all get along well.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'd check out San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas