Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
AWhen the rest of Texas feels it has more in common with each other than it does Houston, that will be reflected in policy at some point.
I almost feel out of my chair laughing at this.

High and mighty BS and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And I can drive from here to Florida without seeing much change in terrain. When it comes to topography alone, Dallas definitely looks more Texan.
Go back to one of my first posts:

"Houston may be more international than Dallas, but Houston is also more Texan/Southern than Dallas. Dallas is more American with a huge immigrant population than anything else. To clarify, I speak not of the topography but of the city and it's people."

My argument is exactly that. Again Fort Worth is a different story. Youre going to find almost nothing Texan in the Dallas area outside of the topography. I dont even know but maybe two or three natives that live here in the 4 years Ive been here.

I never said Houston was some sort of walking Texan stereotype. Never. Its easier for me to see it because of the people I work with in Houston in the oil industry. Its nowhere near that in Sugar Land or Fort Bend county, but its easier to see it in the industry. Dallas doesnt really have the oil industry, instead its tech and finance based.

At the end of the day, both are way too diverse and melting pots to really be considered truly Texan.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Exclamation I "feel" out of my chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I almost feel out of my chair laughing at this.

High and mighty BS and nothing else.
You almost "feel" out of your chair? I'd like to learn to do that

High and mighty ok but BS , how so?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:

"Houston may be more international than Dallas, but Houston is also more Texan/Southern than Dallas. Dallas is more American with a huge immigrant population than anything else. To clarify, I speak not of the topography but of the city and it's people."

My argument is exactly that. Again Fort Worth is a different story. Youre going to find almost nothing Texan in the Dallas area outside of the topography. I dont even know but maybe two or three natives that live here in the 4 years Ive been here.

I never said Houston was some sort of walking Texan stereotype. Never. Its easier for me to see it because of the people I work with in Houston in the oil industry. Its nowhere near that in Sugar Land or Fort Bend county, but its easier to see it in the industry. Dallas doesnt really have the oil industry, instead its tech and finance based.

At the end of the day, both are way too diverse and melting pots to really be considered truly Texan.
Houston & Dallas do have some Texas heritage they still hold onto...the State Fair, Rodeo, etc.

Mesquite (Dallas) has the 2nd largest rodeo in the state after the Houston Rodeo.

Dallas has the largest gay & lesbian Country/Western night club in Texas, at least the largest one I've been to. Its pure honky tonk ba donk a donk donk in that place Brokeback Mountain style.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Atlanta does have the largest African population in the South. Dallas has the second largest and Houston has the third largest.

I didnt realize that was the basis for importance?
I never said that.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:

Which is why I said "topography" alone.

Quote:

I understood all your points clearly. I just don't really agree with them.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You almost "feel" out of your chair? I'd like to learn to do that

High and mighty ok but BS , how so?
Your post (and perhaps I misunderstood it so forgive me if that's the case), made it sound like its a Texas vs. Houston thing. That there is some sort of huge mentality gap between Houston and the rest of Texas. Perhaps a case could be made for Austin in that regard, but not Houston or Dallas. What sets Houston in Dallas apart from the rest of the state is that they are both extremely diverse and are the major economic centers. Being so diverse they are both tolerant of things that might not be tolerated in rural and smaller communities (you can make a case for Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio too).

That's what sets them apart: diversity not really mentality. For example Richardson is getting ready to elect (what I believe) is the first Muslim mayor in the South. However, he is a hard core conservative on every level like a large portion of Texas. Now then, I would bet that most communities outside places like Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin (as well as their more diverse burbs) would not elect him simply for being Muslim. However he isn't much different in mentality than most of Texas.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston & Dallas do have some Texas heritage they still hold onto...the State Fair, Rodeo, etc.

Mesquite (Dallas) has the 2nd largest rodeo in the state after the Houston Rodeo.

Dallas has the largest gay & lesbian Country/Western night club in Texas, at least the largest one I've been to. Its pure honky tonk ba donk a donk donk in that place Brokeback Mountain style.
As they should.

Perhaps a better way of wording might be that Houston and Dallas are too many things to simply be Texan.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Default Mentality gap!

Quote:
Your post (and perhaps I misunderstood it so forgive me if that's the case), made it sound like its a Texas vs. Houston thing. That there is some sort of huge mentality gap between Houston and the rest of Texas. Perhaps a case could be made for Austin in that regard, but not Houston or Dallas. What sets Houston in Dallas apart from the rest of the state is that they are both extremely diverse and are the major economic centers. Being so diverse they are both tolerant of things that might not be tolerated in rural and smaller communities (you can make a case for Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio too).

That's what sets them apart: diversity not really mentality. For example Richardson is getting ready to elect (what I believe) is the first Muslim mayor in the South. However, he is a hard core conservative on every level like a large portion of Texas. Now then, I would bet that most communities outside places like Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin (as well as their more diverse burbs) would not elect him simply for being Muslim. However he isn't much different in mentality than most of Texas.

Actually you did understand my post for the most part. When was the last time Texas elected a Governor from the Houston area? We live in a state that is 75% urban yet somehow good ole boys from central Texas are able to keep getting elected Governor. If you say it is the good ole boy network I will tend to agree, and they will identify, and tend to favor those areas that people consider more "Texan" If Texans in this area make it easy for them to do that by agreeing that Houston is less Texas or Texan this will make it probable that their policy initiatives will favor the supposedly more Texan areas. The mentality gap as you call it is real, it is here in Houston thats why the west and southwest side is favored over the north and east sides of town. You can probably describe similar political favoritism in DFW, it is the way people are. I do expect however that Houstonians should not play into this mentality and make it easy to keep perpetuating the bias.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Roundup is more honky tonk up until midnight, then turns more ba donk a donk donk after that lol.

I love that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas