Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times

Advertisements

I have not read many postive impressions of Dallas or Houston's recent SuperBowl hostings. As a matter of fact, only Jacksonville's Super Bowl was (much much) more mocked than Houston's, and Dallas wasn't far behind. The sprawl, lack of mass transport, and blue laws are the primary complaints of each town. That's why New Orleans hosts so many of the things.

What's kind of funny is that Arlington wanted to be the town mentioned instead of Dallas when the Super Bowl was here, but post-the-game survey respondents were only like 55% positive for Arlington. I'm sure they would have rather foisted that low of a percentage back on Dallas!

I thought Dallas' Basketball All-Star weekend was fun, and the ticket was worth $500 to go to the game, and there were plenty of free or discounted events for season ticket holders. I'm sure Houston's was fun too.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 02-18-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
The Super Bowl in Houston was only mocked because of nipplegate. The actual events surrounding the game got good reviews. Everything was close together. Not even close to the Dallas super bowl.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The actual events surrounding the game got good reviews.
There were tons of reports by reporters and visitors that parties were in one zip code while the game was in another while their hotel was in another, and cab rides were expensive. Look up ESPN's Bill Simmons columns about the game if you don't believe me, as one prominent example. You can see the NFL reacting to the comments as they put the next Super Bowl in the snow to avoid the problems of Sun Belt cities, and of going back and forth between NO & Miami every year.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
There were tons of reports by reporters and visitors that parties were in one zip code while the game was in another while their hotel was in another, and cab rides were expensive. Look up ESPN's Bill Simmons columns about the game if you don't believe me, as one prominent example. You can see the NFL reacting to the comments as they put the next Super Bowl in the snow to avoid the problems of Sun Belt cities, and of going back and forth between NO & Miami every year.

I don't recall anyone mocking Houston's hosting of the superbowl. Nipplegate overshadowed the city. If anything, I'd say Houston was moreso forgettable than bad. I do recall some bad reviews [mostly due to traffic and mass transit], but nothing like Dallas.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Between ice sliding off Cowboys Stadium injuring people, hotels far away from the event, lack of mass transit, traffic, & no available seats when they were held on deposit months, even years in advance really sucked ass.

Dallas (the actual city) being 20+ miles away from the Super Bowl didn't go over too well either with out of towners.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Dallas (the actual city) being 20+ miles away from the Super Bowl didn't go over too well either with out of towners.
That's why I said the post-Super Bowl positive rating for Arlington was only 55% postive; it's like 90%+ for New Orleans and Miami. But the stadium itself being far away is not really a negative, MetLife Stadium is not exactly downtown either. It's that everything else before the game is not centrally located nor easy to get to for a visitor that people complain about. And that is true for Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix, and Indianapolis, and other Sun Belt and Midwest cities.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's why I said the post-Super Bowl positive rating for Arlington was only 55% postive; it's like 90%+ for New Orleans and Miami. But the stadium itself being far away is not really a negative, MetLife Stadium is not exactly downtown either. It's that everything else before the game is not centrally located nor easy to get to for a visitor that people complain about. And that is true for Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix, and Indianapolis, and other Sun Belt and Midwest cities.
You do realize everyone praised Indy's super bowl because everything was close together. Houston is probably going to get super bowl 51.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
How Houston Became the Host City for the 2013 NBA All-Star Game - Forbes

“this year, Houston’s [bid] was the best. One of the things that is really advantageous in Houston, is its geography. You have the arena next to three major hotels and one of them connects to the convention center. Not that this alone was a deciding factor, but it was a great thing that the city could put together and create the community for All-Star and have everything happening in one place.”

Seems downtown was quite happening this past weekend.

I wasn't in downtown for this event's parties, but was for those of the 2004 Super Bowl. It was great. I agree with others - Houston got better press for Super Bowl than Dallas did. Mostly because events were less spread out and the weather was better. The "wardrobe malfunction" was the major negative, but not Houston's fault.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
NBA All-Star Weekend has been called "the Black Superbowl", so it makes sense that Houston would be a bigger smash than Dallas, as it's more of a destination for "urban" socialites.

A lot went down in H-town this past weekend, but I just wasn't in the mood for any of it.

:: inDmix.com ::

Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
I didn't chop it up this weekend like I did in Allstar Weekend 06. I didn't feel the need to pay $60 and up to go stand around in a club and also couldn't stand being stuck in traffic around the Galleria area. The fact that I got to keep my money in my pocket made me feel better than throwing it away on some event celebrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas