Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times

Advertisements

Forget Snyder if you don't want to see a rapidly growing town. This is now an oil boom town. Housing is very difficult to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
In the Hill Country area maybe around Junction if the budget is good got to work at gardening though

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 188,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Karl View Post
Thanks for all your comments. I will look into these towns some more.

(This is shaping up to be one heck of a road trip to visit these places!)

LOL! Thanks, Bob! (We can learn....)

I got an email reply from one of my best friends, a Texas native who has been *stranded* out of state for a few years. (He's working on getting back to somewhere between SA and Austin.) He knows me pretty well and he threw quite a monkey wrench into my thinking. Knowing I'm an avid skier and hiker, he remarks about all the towns on my list, "... there is no topography there. None. All of this I still consider west Texas which is still up on the flat plains. You can see the sun set... in California from there."

He also wrote, "But, go north of San Antonio and West of Austin. There you will find hills and even small "mountains", aquifers, and streams surrounded by some actual trees. This where the high plains break down and you are heading toward sea level. Blanco, Junction, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Comfort, Boerne, Dripping Springs, Bulverde, Wimberley, Lochart, Bastrop. The Texas Hill Country. The real Texas...." (I'm learning you Texans have varying perspectives on you own state.)

Acck! This research is ... involved.

- KK
For some it's the ocean, for others it may be trees. For me I could never live where there are no mountains.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The wind always blows in TX.

Its not easy to grow stuff in TX. The state often does not get rain for months. Wells sometimes are very deep and it costs $$ to get it up the surface. My advice would be to keep it small and live in the NE tier of counties along the Red River if you want to try to grow something as that area gets the most rain.
You mentioned the NE counties and I agree. Though humidity is much higher than in CO, it's something you can get used to. The wind is not an issue like it is in many other parts of Texas. We're not in a significant drought - in fact, I think our water levels are pretty much back to normal and I know our lakes and ponds are very full right now.

In the Northeast section of Texas, the terrain and weather are more like north Georgia and Alabama than they are like west or central or south Texas. Rolling green hills, lots of trees, plenty of lakes and rivers...very pleasant and NOT AS HOT as many other parts of Texas. We have some very pleasant small cities and towns as well - Tyler, Longview, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Jefferson, Canton, Mineola, etc. Many of the small towns with town squares have taken advantage of programs like Mainstreet and have renovated their charming downtown areas. I-20 runs through NE Texas and gives easy access to the D/FW area and Shreveport, Louisiana as well. The culture is largely conservative, friendly, and what I consider to be the best mix of "Texan" and "Southern." Housing is affordable. The arts are alive and flourishing - from small towns to the metro areas. The food is terrific. The Hill Country is accessible and close enough to visit often (which we do - though it's one of our favorite areas, we have decided not to move there at this time, due to the high cost of land and our concerns about the drought situation).

Just a suggestion.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I just have to say this and please take no offense. You are doing yourself a disservice by not considering the areas east of I-45, especially east of US 59 and north of US 190 all the way up to I-20. Good sandy loams, much more surface water, much more precipitation (support for plant/tree growth), but maybe not as good well waters. My personal well water is awesome ... downright sweet but many East Texas wells have a strong iron and sometimes sulfur smell/taste. Having said that I could be happy in ANY region of Texas.

On the hospital issue. Small rural hospitals are generally not going to have the tech nor resources to help in dire medical emergencies. Your goal should be to find real estate within 15 minutes of a level 4 trauma center and within 45 minutes of a level 1 or 2. Level 1 or 2's will have full time cardio, vascular surgical, and neurosurgery services on call around the clock. I give you this advice due to personal and professional experiences.
I agree with all of this.

By the way, another plus for the Tyler/Longview area (along I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport) is that there are FANTASTIC hospitals in this area. ETMC and TMF systems are state of the art and world class. Tyler has been deemed a top notch area in which to retire.

Also, since the OP is retired military, Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, which is a very nice base, would be about an hour to an hour and a half away. We live just off I-20 between Tyler and Longview, and my daughter and her family live on Barksdale. It takes us one hour and ten minutes to be at her front door.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 41,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
You're forgetting Vermont.
Vermont! VT is a very liberal state. I've lived here my entire life and will be leaving the state as soon as my middle child graduates high school (I don't want to take him out of high school as a Junior). Vermont is a VERY expensive state to live in.

Anyone wishing to live in a state that is fairly conservative, VT is NOT one of them!!! Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas