Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 AM

12 posts, read 28,709 times

Advertisements

I have just decided to spend winters in a warmer climate and have chosen the Rio Grande valley area. I have NO idea how to find a winter rental!
I do not want a mobile home park, but also dislike intense urban areas.

Can anyone give me an idea where to begin this search? College educated, into natural living and semi-rural is fine with me!

But also want safe and perhaps purchase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Try Harlingen, Los Fresnos, Port Isabel, Northern Brownsville, and possiblly Mercedes. The further west you go from these places, the more traffic and urban especially when you hit the Mcallen area.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM

147 posts, read 354,604 times
My wife and I are looking for a possible retirement location. We have visited Mexico on three occassions and someone recommended that we look at Texas and McAllen in particular. We would greatly appreciate any advice that can be given.
I have noticed that real estate is very reasonable. I noticed that many homes don't have pools. Is there a geological reason for this (high water table) or is the price of electricity very expensive?
OK just how hot are summers in McAllen?
I looked at the crime statistics for the McAllen area and they seem pretty high especially for buglaries and sexual assaults. Is this confined to one particular area or is there a lot of random or gang related violence?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM

219 posts, read 811,156 times
I spent two years in the Mcallen area and my parents 8. I moved out and they are now moving out. Yes, the area has fast growth and such but crime is way, way out of hand. The crime is not confined to any areas. It is everywhere. Most is drug and gang related. If you are single and love the night life then this might be a good place for you. It is NOT good at all for raising children though. If you want a nice retirement area in Texas you might want to try the Hill Country. MUCH lower crime. I personally enjoy Fredericksburg.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
THE ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE unique combination of movie theatre and restaurant, the Alamo will show the best of first run and independent films on six state of the art screens, and offers an extensive menu of fresh handmade dishes, mixed drinks, wine and beer (the beer selection will be the largest on tap in the Rio Grande Valley!).

In addition to offering this fun, comfortable full service environment, the Alamo is recognized worldwide for its eclectic programming, award winning food and one of a kind special events!

The many awards include:
“Best Theatre in the Nation” by ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY
“13th best thing to do in Texas” by TEXAS MONTHLY
“Best Theatre in Austin” by AUSTIN CHRONICLE
“Best Theatre in San Antonio” by SAN ANTONIO CURRENT
“Best Theatre in Houston” by HOUSTON CHRONICLE
http://www.alamodrafthouse-trenton.wb.gs/instancefiles/45738.jpg (broken link)

I went too see Cloverfield at the Drafthouse. I ordered a pizza, was the worst Pizza I have ever eaten. Worse than a Totino's $2.99 frozen pizza. The theatre is ok, not the best at all. The Pallidium IMAX at the Rim, Alamo Quarry Market or Huebner Oaks 24 AMC. The Pallidum IMAX is one of the biggest in the nation. This place looks like a Palace. I even Like the Bijou Indie dinner theatre @ Crossroads, better than the Alamo Drafthouse.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 16,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcs View Post
My wife and I are looking for a possible retirement location. We have visited Mexico on three occassions and someone recommended that we look at Texas and McAllen in particular. We would greatly appreciate any advice that can be given.
I have noticed that real estate is very reasonable. I noticed that many homes don't have pools. Is there a geological reason for this (high water table) or is the price of electricity very expensive?
I looked at the crime statistics for the McAllen area and they seem pretty high especially for buglaries and sexual assaults. Is this confined to one particular area or is there a lot of random or gang related violence?
Yea the pool problem isnt much of a problem. You can always be inventive and build a nice above ground pool with a wooden dock for bbq'ing.

Summers are hot, over 100 degrees and HUMID. Burglaries happen, can't lie about that but sexual assaults can be avoided as long as females don't wonder alone at night and stop going home with drunk guys they barely know.

Above poster is pretty accurate about crime is not confined to just one place, but the type of crime does have an affect. Violent crimes i.e. shootings, stabbings are normally in the south side (S. 23rd and Houston/Dallas Ave. area). Property related crimes tend to favor toward the west side (near Ware Rd.) and certain parks i.e. Municipal Park. and at certain times of the day Schupp Park on the north side (although TONS of citizens work out at this park of all classes, so its not really that bad). Although if anything the south side is most consistant with crime, as opposed to the west side and north side is off and on with crime. Some years its bad and other years its almost non-existant.

Many houses in McAllen can be bought for cheap and sold at a profit. Majority of the houses in my neighborhood were anywhere from $30-50k in the mid to late 90's and a lot of them, if they were kept in good condition can now be sold at a profit.

The education system is getting a better as far as catering to students with higher grades and potential for acceptance into top quality schools but beyond that its pretty low standard/quality however you want to put it, with only a handful of teachers that really care about preparing their students for college. They have the IB program which allows those types of students to take classes on par with other high schools that provide higher education that they won't get in the McAllen high schools unless they had that IB program.

Business wise, this is a great investment. Majority of property is selling at a huge profit but still affordable, so in the long term this will be a great investment. Eventually McAllen will be a major metropolis like San Antonio and anybody who was able to get a piece of the pie before that occurs will cash out big time.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I went too see Cloverfield at the Drafthouse. I ordered a pizza, was the worst Pizza I have ever eaten. Worse than a Totino's $2.99 frozen pizza. The theatre is ok, not the best at all. The Pallidium IMAX at the Rim, Alamo Quarry Market or Huebner Oaks 24 AMC. The Pallidum IMAX is one of the biggest in the nation. This place looks like a Palace. I even Like the Bijou Indie dinner theatre @ Crossroads, better than the Alamo Drafthouse.
I guess that is just your location.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I guess that is just your location.
Probably so. I will still go to the drafthouse, jus't won't order pizza again. The Shakes and burgers are good and so are the itallian sodas.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 46,938 times
I wouldn't move there for the life of me.

Everyone who I went to college with always complained about it, how there was nothing to do, how it was boring, how there were no universities that were more than "decent",

I'm generally not a fan of border towns, either.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 31,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcs View Post
I'm glas that you've made the decision, this area is a beautiful place with pleasant tropical weather and the ameneties of big cities. We have a peaceful life for the last 10 yrs. moved down here from Dallas. Little to no traffic, good ozone and warm people. If you need any real estate help, I'll be happy to help you out. I'm working with Keller Williams Realty as a Realtor.

Have a good day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas