Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 31,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlett View Post
I have just decided to spend winters in a warmer climate and have chosen the Rio Grande valley area. I have NO idea how to find a winter rental!
I do not want a mobile home park, but also dislike intense urban areas.

Can anyone give me an idea where to begin this search? College educated, into natural living and semi-rural is fine with me!

But also want safe and perhaps purchase!
My husband is a college educator and moved down here for his new position from Dallas. This is a best place and decision we've made and the real estate is booming in this area. I have a huge listings of rentals especificall for winter texans. If you're interested send me an e-mail and I'll send you information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM

147 posts, read 354,497 times
Thanks for all the candid information concerning the McAllen area (crime and weather). Is there a big difference between the McAllen/Edinburg area and the Harlingen area in terms of quality of life?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,405 times
I live in McAllen.....actually I was born and raised here. It has changed so much in the last couple of years and I can honestly say that it really isn't a bad place to live. I can tell you that "The Valley" as we call it best place to be is port isabel or south padre island. South Padre Island is known to be one of the best beaches in texas. Many people all over the states spend their spring break there but it can really get crazy.
Bridge that takes you to SPI
[url]http://www.altamonroe.com/images/spibridge.jpg[/url]
SPI
http://www.directorschoicetourandtravel.com/images/cities/southpadreisland.jpg (broken link)

Also during spring break in Mercedes as we call it "the stockshow" happens every year. Its a huge amazing event to attend and it usually lasts a week if I'm not mistaken. Its got tons of rides, kittie rides for the kids and food. RIO GRANDE VALLEY LIVESTOCK SHOW, MERCEDES, TX (http://www.rgvlivestockshow.org/1002616.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 11,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
Just to add to your set of facts:

Milken Institute / Greenstreet Partners Best Performing Cities 2007
September 2007
Ross DeVol, Armen Bedroussian, and Soojung Kim

For the third consecutive year, Florida metropolitan areas scored high on the Milken Institute / Greenstreet Partners 2007 Best Performing Cities Index, taking three of the top six spots – including this year’s top-ranked metro, Ocala.

But their hold on the Index loosened slightly as other cities rose in the annual ranking of where America’s jobs are being created and sustained. Nationwide trends influenced many regional shifts, including a rebound in the tech sector (boosting metros in the San Francisco Bay Area, Salt Lake City, Utah and Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas), increasing global trade (pushing Wilmington, North Carolina to 2nd place) and even the effects of migration as a result of Hurricane Katrina (particularly Lafayette and Baton Rouge, Louisiana).

The top 10 performers (with its last ranking, in 2005, in parentheses) of the 200 largest metros:

1. Ocala, Florida (13)
2. Wilmington, North Carolina (59)
3. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California (10)
4. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Arizona (15)
5. Orlando-Kissimmee, Florida (6)
6. Naples-Marco Island, Florida (3)
7. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas (7)
8. Provo-Orem, Utah (23)
9. Las Vegas-Paradise, Nevada (11)
10. Raleigh-Cary, North Carolina (45)

[URL="http://www.milkeninstitute.org/research/research.taf?cat=indexes&function=detail&ID=30&typ e=BPC"]MilkenInstitute.Org > Research > Indexes[/URL]

[URL="http://bestcities.milkeninstitute.org/"]Milken Institute - Best Cities Index 2007[/URL]

----------------------------------------------------

That's right, McAllen is the 7th best performing city in the US. And someone on another thread told someone to get away from this area as quickly as possible. Ignorance.
Warning!!! Do not listen to the hype in this ad. The reason business is coming here is because of CAFTA and NAFTA. And also because people work hard and cheap in the RGV and won't ask for much more than $10hr anyway. Not that they would pay more than $10 even with a college degree. That is why even Chineese companies are looking at setting up shop in the RGV. Less pay more profit!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 134,853 times
Default You are Wrong

Sorry, but you are wrong--white collar labor is rising--the medical community in Mcallen/Weslaco/Harlingen is garnering international attention--and the real estate market is booming in spite of the bleak national economic forecast.

Get your facts straight.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM

33 posts, read 166,310 times
The growth of the valley is undeniable. 15 years ago it was agriculture, services and maquila work in Reynosa. Today it is a lot more diverse (but not nearly diverse enough) the service sector is king (Monterrey pumps tons of money into the valley as this is where wealthy and middle class Mexicans like to spend their money), followed by medical and then government jobs. Manufacturing is still important as is agriculture but the growth is mostly stagnant. The building that is explosive in the valley now generates a lot of construction jobs and support businesses.

That said, don't expect to come to the valley and get a high paying job outside of the medical industry as the pay scale is on the low end. But then again, so is the cost of living. McAllen still has a high level of unemployment and poverty and many more jobs and more industries are needed to support the influx of people that are staying in the Valley now instead of going up to Houston or SA.

The Federal government (and the State of Texas) bankroll most of the Medical and government jobs in the Valley and without that the Valley would be hard pressed to support its current status or any economic growth.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,184 times
My wife grew up in Edinburg. She remembers the RGV as a dirty dusty place. I told, it seem the times they have a'changed.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM

78 posts, read 247,407 times
Its changed so much that its very different than it was 10 years ago.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,871 times
Which would be better for a single mother McAllen or McKinney. I want a safe place for my children and myself to reside. Are these areas welcoming to families of mixed race? I would just like a nice place to fit in and fall into. This would be a first time venture and I would like to stay a long while.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise128 View Post
Which would be better for a single mother McAllen or McKinney. I want a safe place for my children and myself to reside. Are these areas welcoming to families of mixed race? I would just like a nice place to fit in and fall into. This would be a first time venture and I would like to stay a long while.
Wow, not even a question. McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas