Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston

More disposable income with the booming oil, gas, & energy sectors.

Dallas isn't growing quite as fast.
Thanks for the morning laugh, I needed it. Thanks for once and all proving you will mis-interpret and twist any thead to make Houston come out on top.

That question was not, what city has the fastest growing energy sector. The question was what city has the best/most luxury shopping. The answer is Dallas, but the shopping in both cities is top notch.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Only if there's one city per tier. Dallas definitely has an edge, and probably always will, but the differences aren't major by any stretch of the imagination. This is even more true with Dallas losing some of its luxury department stores.

Nationwide, I'd put them both in Tier 2, with New York and Los Angeles being the only cities occupying the highest of tiers.
^^^^This.

Dallas does have an edge, but its not like Houston is a terrible shopping city nor is the edge all that significant. On the contrary, its an excellent shopping city. Its an inverse relationship to eating. Houston has an edge in dining, but its not all that significant and Dallas is also an excellent eating city (metro area really).

All in all, if you cant find what your looking for in either, you must be very picky.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Dallas does have an edge, but its not like Houston is a terrible shopping city nor is the edge all that significant. On the contrary, its an excellent shopping city. Its an inverse relationship to eating. Houston has an edge in dining, but its not all that significant and Dallas is also an excellent eating city (metro area really).

All in all, if you cant find what your looking for in either, you must be very picky.
I can agree with that. That's just one example why all the constant Dallas vs. Houston stuff is actually pretty silly; both really weigh out to be on an even scale because whatever area one leads in the other is not very far behind, be it shopping, eating, diversity, economy, etc. It's really just a matter of personal choice and which city fits each person's wants and needs the best. For instance, I know Houston's economy centers mainly around oil and the medical field. I don't work in either, so that helped me to choose Dallas, as it tends to have more options for employment in other fields that are non-oil and non-medicine related. But that doesn't mean that Houston's economy is weak, though, or that Houston has no jobs.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM

32 posts, read 77,553 times
I would have to say Dallas has this one. I'm curious to see what River Oaks District will bring because I saw the planned retailers and I'm very impressed, but don't want to get my hopes up. It DOES pain me to give this one to Dallas. lol.

Tier 1
New York
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago

Tier 2
San Francisco
Miami

Tier 3
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
DC
Philly

Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM

32 posts, read 77,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecey View Post
I would have to say Dallas has this one. I'm curious to see what River Oaks District will bring because I saw the planned retailers and I'm very impressed, but don't want to get my hopes up. It DOES pain me to give this one to Dallas. lol.

Tier 1
New York
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago

Tier 2
San Francisco
Miami

Tier 3
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
DC
Philly
And if I could add to that...This is one of the VERY FEW polls/competitions Dallas can actually stand out on its on away from 'The Metroplex'. Which is something to say considering it's half the size of Houston. Very impressive retail scene here.
But Houston Pride!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
And if I could add to that...This is one of the VERY FEW polls/competitions Dallas can actually stand out on its on away from 'The Metroplex'. Which is something to say considering it's half the size of Houston. Very impressive retail scene here.
But Houston Pride!!!

Dallas can't really stand out unless you think Dallas proper residents can support the stores on their own. Just because all the stores are in Dallas city limits doesn’t mean that is where their whole customer base resides.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Dallas can't really stand out unless you think Dallas proper residents can support the stores on their own. Just because all the stores are in Dallas city limits doesn’t mean that is where their whole customer base resides.
This applies to Houston as well. Especially considering the fact that the Galleria is Houston's #1 "tourist" destination.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
This applies to Houston as well. Especially considering the fact that the Galleria is Houston's #1 "tourist" destination.
It applies to shopping in every city.

Fact of the matter is, all cities get a boost from the rest of their metro.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I can't speak for everybody but Sounds like sour grapes to me!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
I'd go more like this:

Tier 1
New York
Los Angeles

Tier 2
San Francisco
Chicago

Tier 3
Las Vegas
Miami
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
DC
Philly[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas