Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
So basically a "warning" is like a "fix-it" ticket it seems.

Did this require a court appearance?
Nope. Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM

178 posts, read 379,534 times
I was pulled over on I10 in luling by a state trooper in october and was ticketed $150 for no front plate....

Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Many years ago, my husband lived in another state which didn't require front plates. He bought a new car, which of course didn't have the mounting bracket for a front plate. Shortly after we married and he moved to TX where I was, and he gave the car to me. He registered in TX, but never put the front plate on it, because he didn't want to mess with putting a front mounting bracket on it. I drove it for 2 years before I was stopped for not having a front plate. The officer was nice and just gave me a warning for it. That night I made him go put the plate on the front, because I figured the next time I wouldn't get so lucky.
Same thing happened to me, pretty much. I bought a used car off Craigslist from someone in my city. He'd had the car since it was new and it was already a ten year old car. He handed me the front plate, which had never been attached. I wasn't sure about the law but he said he didn't think it was an issue and he'd never bothered to mount it and had never been pulled over.

So, I went on my merry way and never mounted it either. Drove it for years and got pulled over one day for no front plate. I was shocked, because, like the OP, I see cars ALL THE TIME without the front plate. The officer was nice though and I also just got a warning.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
It's illegal, but their is no punishment for it. That's why it can easily be dismissed if ticketed for it. Cops rarely worry about it though because it's a waste of time and those who do are just being asses.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I don't care one way or the other about license plates on front (though it does give you two chances to identify someone who's just, say, hit your bicycle or car and is taking off), but I find it interesting how if there's a law on the books that they don't agree with and instead of working to get it changed they just violate it because it shouldn't apply to them, some think that it's law enforcement that's being asses for, you now, enforcing the law, rather than putting the blame squarely where it belongs, on themselves for making the choice not to obey a given law because they don't wanna. I attribute that to the entitlement culture we seem to have created (my generation has a lot to answer for in the way we raised our kids, evidently).

Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Cops seems to care about this to a varying degree. Dallas, not at all. Half the cars and 4/5ths of all luxury cars do not have front plates. South Texas they are just looking for excuses to pull you over so lack of a plate will give them a reason for a stop.

Too bad there is completely inconsistent enforcement.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
You all have given good answers and insight on this topic!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's illegal, but their is no punishment for it. That's why it can easily be dismissed if ticketed for it. Cops rarely worry about it though because it's a waste of time and those who do are just being asses.
When I pull people over for no front LP, or ang other minor infraction for that matter, which occurs several times throughout the day, I'm not trying to be an ass.

It is good, easy probable cause to make contact with somebody. I don't pull people over looking to write tickets. I pull people over looking for warrants, drugs, illegal weapons, suspended DL/no insurance, or just to get some information about problem areas in my beat. Sure people don't like to be pulled over, but it's good talking to people in the area you work to learn what's going on in that area that you can help improve as a police officer. Especially in a higher drug area, like where I work.

95% of people I pull over don't get citations. Most people end up appreciate talking to me after I have stopped them.

It's funny how civilians think they know it all, but don't have a clue. To you, you think we enjoy to be an ******* and just want to generate revenue for the city. But you really have no idea how it is to be a police officer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't care one way or the other about license plates on front (though it does give you two chances to identify someone who's just, say, hit your bicycle or car and is taking off), but I find it interesting how if there's a law on the books that they don't agree with and instead of working to get it changed they just violate it because it shouldn't apply to them, some think that it's law enforcement that's being asses for, you now, enforcing the law, rather than putting the blame squarely where it belongs, on themselves for making the choice not to obey a given law because they don't wanna. I attribute that to the entitlement culture we seem to have created (my generation has a lot to answer for in the way we raised our kids, evidently).

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
When I pull people over for no front LP, or ang other minor infraction for that matter, which occurs several times throughout the day, I'm not trying to be an ass.

It is good, easy probable cause to make contact with somebody. I don't pull people over looking to write tickets. I pull people over looking for warrants, drugs, illegal weapons, suspended DL/no insurance, or just to get some information about problem areas in my beat. Sure people don't like to be pulled over, but it's good talking to people in the area you work to learn what's going on in that area that you can help improve as a police officer. Especially in a higher drug area, like where I work.

95% of people I pull over don't get citations. Most people end up appreciate talking to me after I have stopped them.

It's funny how civilians think they know it all, but don't have a clue. To you, you think we enjoy to be an ******* and just want to generate revenue for the city. But you really have no idea how it is to be a police officer.
Is that what is known as "copping an attitude?" If you "pull people over looking for warrants, drugs, illegal weapons, suspended DL/no insurance," and had no other reason to suspect they had committed an offense, then yes you must enjoy being and ******* and abusing your authority.

It's funny how (some) cops think they know it all, but don't have a clue. Do you really think people enjoy being pulled over for no good reason and really appreciate talking to you, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas