U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM

13,249 posts, read 18,081,437 times

Advertisements

Early Texas blues musicians:

"T-Bone" Walker (May 28, 1910 – March 16, 1975) was born at Linden Cass County, Texas. He is said by some to be one of the influences of B.B. King.

T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues (1940) - YouTube

Blind Willie Johnson (ca. 1897 – 1945) was born in Marlin Falls County, Texas and was known to use a pocket knife as a slide on his guitar.

Nobody's Fault But Mine - Blind Willie Johnson - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM

10,165 posts, read 17,931,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Uh, folks, let's try to keep the number of embedded videos per page down to minimum, just so we don't have dozens of videos cramming up one page. I think no more than two for each post is appropriate.
Good point, Nairobi!

But I DO have to ask if everyone has forgotten about Texan Dobie Gray (of Drift Away). Post No. 24

And I will repeat it again: We sing with your beat and rhythm and rhyme and harmony on gold records AM. You sing with the Angels.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Two more country musicians I've enjoyed:

Tony Douglass (April 12, 1929 - January 22, 2013) was born in Martins Mill, Van Zandt County, Texas.

TONY DOUGLAS - Thank You For Touching My Life - YouTube

Rodney Crowell was born August 7, 1950, at Crosby, Harris County, Texas. A terrific song writer, my favorite was this one sung by Emmylou Harris. I wish Texas could claim Emmylou but she goes to Alabama's column:

Emmylou Harris - "Till I Gain Control Again" - YouTube

Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Stay tuned. I'm still digging through a rack of 1960s record albums I found in the closet yesterday. I think there's another rack out in the barn.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Not from the closet rack, but must not forget:

Holly Dunn, born August 22, 1957 in San Antonio.

Holly Dunn You Really Had Me Going "Official" Video - YouTube

Ronnie Dunn of Brooks and Dunn was born June 1, 1953, at Coleman, Coleman County, Texas.

Brooks & Dunn - My Maria - YouTube

Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Stay tuned. I'm still digging through a rack of 1960s record albums I found in the closet yesterday. I think there's another rack out in the barn.
Thanks for the "My Maria" song. Very seldom (at least IMHO) does a remake of a song come close to matching the original, but this version did do very good justice to B.W. Stevens original of 1973.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thanks for the "My Maria" song. Very seldom (at least IMHO) does a remake of a song come close to matching the original, but this version did do very good justice to B.W. Stevens original of 1973.
I had not listen ever listened to Stevens original but Brooks and Dunn actually come pretty close.

Being a fan of Brooks and Dunn, my daughter was here at the farm over Christmas and I attempted to play the song for her. She actually liked it! God bless daddy's girls!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,489,328 times
Can't forget about

Stevie Ray Vaughan-Pride And Joy - YouTube

or

ZZ Top - La Grange (From "Double Down Live) - YouTube

Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I had not listen ever listened to Stevens original but Brooks and Dunn actually come pretty close.
Here it is! BTW -- I was wrong, it was B.W. Stevenson, not Stevens. Hear it and see what you/y'all think...

B.W. STEVENSON- " MY MARIA " (WITH LYRICS) - YouTube

Quote:
Being a fan of Brooks and Dunn, my daughter was here at the farm over Christmas and I attempted to play the song for her. She actually liked it! God bless daddy's girls!
*smiles* Ain't that the damtruth. I just recently became a new grandpappy myself by way of my little angelbaby daughter. She had a beautiful little girl named Emilyn...and I cant wait to hug and kiss her. And kick the crap out of my son-in-law for stealing my baby girl away from Daddy's lap! (LOL To the literal minded, I am just kidding about by SIL. He is a very good man and I absolutely aprove of him with my baby girl, and my newest one as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here it is! BTW -- I was wrong, it was B.W. Stevenson, not Stevens. Hear it and see what you/y'all think...

*smiles* Ain't that the damtruth. I just recently became a new grandpappy myself by way of my little angelbaby daughter.
My oldest grand baby is now 14. I'm trying to get her interested in playing music besides on a radio so I have someone to give my stuff to. She loves her grandpa dearly but not enough to like my old country music.

I had cut & pasted your "Stevens" into YouTube and had oddly found the song and listened to it. I didn't even notice that the name was different. I really like his sound and here's another Texas musician:

B.W. Stevenson born October 5, 1949 and died April 28, 1988. He was born in Dallas.

B.W. Stevenson - SHAMBALA - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas