U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM

35,409 posts, read 17,913,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
don't know why anyone would want to go to Houston on vacation--try to stay out of that town...too much traffic, humidity, humanity
Now, now, now. There are folks who do like to go there, and I don't think it's that bad. Not every city is for everyone. That's the great thing about Texas -- you have so many choices.

Besides, loves2, what would your idea of a 7-day Texas vacation be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,478,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
don't know why anyone would want to go to Houston on vacation--try to stay out of that town...too much traffic, humidity, humanity
OK so what are your suggestions??? and how can Houston have too much humanity????

Old 10-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Default 7-Dayer, Part II

Anyway, I've got a second idea for a 7-day trip if I start from Dallas. Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon the first half of the week, then on down through Lubbock and on down to Big Bend. Then it would be back home from there. It would be great for picture-taking.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
How can you have an ideal vacation in Texas for just 7 days?

I don't know how long my vacation would last but I would start out in

Galveston - I haven't been there for many years. I would stay for several days to get both beach time and historic tour time. I would take the ferry to Port Bolivar just for fun. Then, taking I don't care how long, a slow drive down to:

Corpus Christi - I have only stayed on North Padre Island once many years ago. So, I'm not sure whether I would stay in Corpus or on the island. I would want a lot of good beach time so the island sounds more likely. I would want to visit Padre Island National Seashore but day trip only. Camping out is not for me. Then, again, taking how long I don't care, a slow drive down to:

South Padre Island - When I was young, I spent many weekends here. We had a house trailer and a boat at Jim's Pier. From what I read Jim's Pier still exists. I would treat myself to the best accommodations that I could possibly afford and try to reorient myself to a place that must look nothing like I last saw it. I hope that at least the jetties are still there. Nothing like risking you neck climbing out on to them. After some more good beach time and eating at every recommended restaurant, I would head into Port Isabel and do something I never did when I lived in the area. I would climb up the Post Isabel Lighthouse. I don't like heights but I think that this climb is worth the nerves. Then, I going home to:

Brownsville - Unfortunately, I have no family left to visit but I can visit some of the places that meant a lot to me. The old Brownsville High School has undergone a complete renovation and is now the administrative offices for the Brownsville School District. The old Fort Brown and Texas Southmost College are now the home of the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College. The pictures I have seen of the campus are beautiful. One place not to miss is the Gladys Porter Zoo. It one of the top ranked zoos in the U.S. I loved it when it was first built in 1971. I sure that it is even more beautiful now. I feel a personal connection with the zoo having known Mrs. Porter. What a great lady she was. She and her family did a great deal for Brownsville through the Earl Sams Foundation.

Then, I think -- yes -- back to South Padre Island! This might be a lifetime vacation.
Since Texas is big, I know the feeling about trying to do one vacation within seven days. It can be challenging. But, nonetheless, you've got a good post.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Same here. I want to go to the Big Bend and maybe Palo Duro canyon.
Everyone needs to visit Palo Duro Canyon at least once. I had been many times as a child and finally took my husband and kids thru there one year on our way back for far northwest Texas (ie: Colorado ). My husband thought he was not going to like it at all and grumbled about this pitstop on our trip w/ a night in Canyon. That morning as we were driving out from Canyon to Palo Duro the terrain is FLAT and he was like, "yeah right". I kept telling them to hold on and keep looking to notice how flat it was and then WHAM! There it is in all of its splendor and glory the most beautiful sight to behold. He fell in love and talks about it and wants to go back and spend more time. The massive rock formations are awe inspiring, the colors in the layers carved out are mesmerizing. The sheer natural beauty is something one should see and treasure. It is a shame that it does not get billed for being what it is but that is okay, it keeps the traffic/tourists down and helps preserve this special place in Texas.

I've been to the Big Bend also. While it is nice it still did not and does not touch me as close to the heart and soul as Palo Duro Canyon.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Since Texas is big, I know the feeling about trying to do one vacation within seven days. It can be challenging. But, nonetheless, you've got a good post.
LOL, my husband would kill me if I told him we were going to see ALL of Texas in 7 days. He thinks the drive just to the Frio River from Dallas is a VERY LONG DAY. He does not like driving everyday on vacation and I don't like traveling w/ him when he has to

Personally, I think trying to see a good chunk of Texas in a 7 day period would not do it justice. You would surely miss some of the little things that make a big difference. Adventure is our name and game and by being in a hurry to get to the next spot you would not have time to get off the beaten path to explore.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,810,517 times
momof2, my hubby is the same. I want to take several vacations seeing parts of Texas I've never been to and just took them for granted, Palo Duro Canyon, being just one. He hates to drive, too, and it would take alot of convincing. He wants to see these other parts of the state, too, just doesn't want to drive to get there but that's half the fun to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas