Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 AM

65 posts, read 222,835 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We currently live in Tucson, AZ, and my husband's company (Texas Instruments) is closing their plant here, thus eliminating his job. This will be happening by the end of 2009, with a possible layoff date as early as June 2008 (though more likely in 2009).

Since they're moving everything to their location in Sherman, there's a very good chance he could transfer there.

We've lived in Texas before, in the Austin area (SW Austin and then Cedar Park). We hated it because of the humidity, my terrible allergies from mold and those "cedar" bushes, and the people didn't seem friendly, which really surprised me. No offense to those who like Austin, but I think it's a little too "out there" for us. We're by no means right-wing conservatives (more moderate, really), but it seemed a bit more liberal than San Francisco (where we moved from because we couldn't afford it), which is kind of scary. Tucson is the friendliest place I've ever lived, so I'd be looking for something that would approximate that feeling.

I've done research into real estate, so I know we could afford a house in Sherman. Also, we don't need or want a huge house, so that helps too.

The temps look okay. I don't mind cold and I'm obviously used to heat .

I guess my main concerns would be:
1) humidity levels - we get a fair bit of humidity here during our monsoon season, and I can handle that. Is Sherman better than Austin in regards to humidity? I seem to recall the Dallas area didn't feel that bad (Carrollton was where we visited).
2) tornadoes - I'm terrified of them. If I could have a storm cellar or something like that put in (in Austin it was near impossible because of the limestone) it would be better. I'm still jumpy here during some of our nasty thunderstorms because of my experiences in Austin with tornado warnings.
3) schools - Are the schools pretty good? I don't want the "top notch" or "rich kid" schools like Plano has, for example, because I've found problems can go along with that situation--like too many kids with too much free time to do drugs and get into trouble. We purposely picked middle of the road schools here because of that. I think a kid who is motivated, like our daughter, can get a good education almost anywhere.
4) Property taxes/electric bills/water bills - Houses are cheaper there, MUCH cheaper than Tucson, but I know how the other things I mentioned can affect cost of living. How are these things in Sherman?

I guess I just want Sherman to be a nice, reasonably safe (I know crime statistics mean little to nothing unless they are REALLY high--Tucson has high crime stats and we feel safe here, for example), friendly place to raise our daughter. As long as there's a Target (I know there is ), some decent grocery stores, and an internet connection, I'm good to go. We would also like some trees and greenery since we don't have those here (well, trees, but they are smaller) and if we need to relocate, we might as well get some nice things in the process.

Thank you so much for any insight. I know we'd need to come out and see it for ourselves, but I find these forums to be very helpful. Any links/websites to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 24,302 times
Default sherman

Well, i havent been back home in 7 years, but i can answer some of the more general opinons and what i know about the area

It is not nearly as humid as south Texas, yes there is some humidity but not the stifling type like you find the closer you get to the coast

We do still have some big storms. In my 38 years of living there i was never in imminent danger from a tornado, yes we had warnings and some got close , but they arent as common in that area as you would think , the seem to stay more west of the area and south.
There were some major floods this year there, it happens, a lot of older housing was built on flood plains and every so often a price is paid. Try to avoid the western part of town near the piggly wiggly on sunset, that seems to be an area that floods frequently.

Storm cellars and basements arent that common, but if you are buying a house there are a lot of companies that will put you in one, and i know you cand even get a safe room built in your house.

Sherman schools as a rule are pretty good. If you are open to it, look at homes that have the option to be in the S&S school district. Howe is another good district, and since TI is on the south end of Sherman you are only about 10 minutes out of Howe but in no way would i consider any school in grayson county to be snobby

Taxes arent that bad , Electric bill can eat you up in the summer, but that is a price you pay in Texas. Luckily you dont get a lot of really cold weather so heating can be pretty fair. City of Sherman handles the water, If you go to one of the smaller towns you run into county co op or that city run water entity so it can be a little different but it isnt that bad.

You have some good grocery stores a super walmart, a sams club a nice size mall. For more to do you are a little more than an hour out of Dallas, so even more things to do.
If you have an area you are interested inand want to know more about feel free to contact me. I havent been there in a few years but still know a lot about the area. I hope this helps and good luck, I miss home terribly . Cindy

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Dawn Sherman is pretty small town although the area is growing. There are many visitors from Dallas - Lake Texoma is a huge reservoir and it has islands, cliffs and trees. Denison has an artsy area in the old downtown.

The local politicians (County Commissioners) are known to be very corrupt, so don't run afoul of them or be prepared to pay a big bribe.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 50,101 times
Don't forget about the Midway Mall!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Sherman/Denison are a great area. I prefer Denison, a little more of an old town feel. It's a growing area, close to Lake Texoma (lots of fun there!). Good luck in your move!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Thank you so much, Cindy, Lakewooder, jcarrel, and Synopsis. I think we'll get a chance to visit Sherman since my husband will have to go out there during the transition to help set things up.

Cindy, I may take you up on your offer to answer questions, as soon as I have more specific ones. I do wonder about allergies since mine were so bad in Austin, but I think Austin is considered the allergy capitol of (the world? the U.S.? something...).

Thanks again.

Dawn

Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
Very different than Austin.... more conservative, not many bicycles. Lots of new places to shop.....most opened within the past couple of years all in one area of twon (Sherman Town Center is what it's called but is not in the center of town at all.......Midway Mall is about dead as a result). Very little great food or entertainment but you're just down the road from McKinney/Friso/Pano/Dallas if you're looking for that. As an educator, I'd say Sherman schools are superior to Denison, but I'd put my child in a county school before I put him in either one of their schools.....S&S or Howe or Pottsboro would all be good choices. In fact, you might want to look at Pottsboro to live....lots of new homes, right on Texoma....altho it is on opposite side of town than TI. There are some beautiful homes in West Sherman very near TI and out on Hwy 82 West (something like Preston Hollow is name I think??). The climate is good....definitely 4 seasons but none of them extreme, moderate humidity. Sherman is excited about your company moving to town so they will be greeting you with open arms.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Just found this.....thought it might be helpful:

The Herald Democrat (http://www.heralddemocrat.com/special_section/1/ - broken link)

Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Thank you, Gayle! People on here are so friendly, not like the Tucson forums. I don't go there. It makes me want to move to Texas. I always tell people how friendly Tucsonans are, but I think it's more that they are not rude. There's a difference between not rude and friendly, but my standards are low after years in California .

Do you live in Sherman? Because if you, and the others who replied, are examples of what I will find, I'm ready to be there now.

Thanks again,

Dawn

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM

I just live down the road about 35 miles but it's the nearest thing to civilization for us......we go there for shopping, doctors, dining, etc., so it feels much like home to us.

There are more nice homes in the country than in the city limits, and not many new homes for sale. With 200 new families moving to town, there is going to be a lot of competition for homes (and the price of them going up), so I would suggest you get a jump on your colleagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas