U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,601,295 times

Advertisements

Cochran County is the least-visited county in Texas. Here are the 20 counties in the lower 48 that have been visited by the fewest people. Cochrane is the most unvisited county in the country, outside the Dakotas and Montana. It is southwest of Lubbock, on the New Mexico state line.

1. McPherson, SD
2. Logan, ND
3. Grant, ND
4. Daniels, MT
5. McIntosh, ND
6. Marshall, SD
7. Griggs, ND
8. Ransom, ND
9T. Cavalier, ND
9T. Ziebach, SD
11T. Eddy, ND
11T. Sargent, ND
13. Faulk, SD
14. Garfield, MT
15T. Dewey, SD
15T. Sheridan, MT
15T. Steele, ND
15T. Towner, ND
19. Cochran, TX
20. Divide, ND

This, according to a website in which over 2,700 people have listed the counties that they have visited.

Why do you think they call them counties?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM

570 posts, read 1,080,085 times
I probably would have guessed a few others before Cochran, but it isn't that much of a surprise. No major highways, and not really on the way to any significant town. I travel all over the state for my job, and it took me 4.5 years before I finally went through Cochran County. There are still two counties that I haven't been to in the state....Lipscomb and Hemphill in the northeast corner of the panhandle.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 PM

13,272 posts, read 18,093,011 times
Actually, Cochran County is directly west of Lubbock. The County may not have many visitors but judging by the direction Lubbock is growing, that may change. Levelland and Lubbock will merge someday if the City's growth west and southwest continues. Oil production in Hockley and Cochran Counties will probably help.

And too, Milnesand, New Mexico, west of Cochran County, is an interesting place, or used to be. I haven't been there in a lot of years. I used to call it "Milling Sand." There used to be a single general store there and , as researchers in SE New Mexico, we always stopped at Milnesand for a cold coke and to look at any new guns the old gentleman storekeeper had for sale. Back then some guy was supposed to have bought the whole town of Milnesand but I don't know if that was true or not. Anyway, I'm betting the guy couldn't afford to do that now as all land in NM has sky-rocketed in value.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:38 PM

587 posts, read 858,904 times
I first I thought it would be Loving County, but there are actually hundreds of people who go there everyday for work.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM

I think that website that did this survey may be one of the least visited websites in the country.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM

4,276 posts, read 7,764,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I think that website that did this survey may be one of the least visited websites in the country.
LOL! I can't recall a single time that I've been required to "register" or "check in" when I cross a county line!

Gotta wonder who keeps track of all those just passing through on a road or highway? Implication is that every county everywhere has some system of counting people, even when they're in a vehicle with others.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,108,057 times
That's a good point. The only recorded statistic I can think of that might apply would be the number of hotel/motel rooms rented. But, that's obviously a pretty limited measure by itself.

I think these so-called "surveys" and ranking lists are mostly used as a cheap way for various media sites to get attention. They often try to do that by appealing to popular stereotypes.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Gotta wonder who keeps track of all those just passing through on a road or highway?
Undoubtedly someone who needs to get a real job.

Quote:
Implication is that every county everywhere has some system of counting people, even when they're in a vehicle with others.
Maybe some counties have drones counting inbound traffic already?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,601,295 times
Quote:
LOL! I can't recall a single time that I've been required to "register" or "check in" when I cross a county line!

Gotta wonder who keeps track of all those just passing through on a road or highway? Implication is that every county everywhere has some system of counting people, even when they're in a vehicle with others.

Read the original link. The visitors are self reported. 2,700 people reporting which counties they have visited.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM

41 posts, read 34,457 times
Default Interesting County but Probably Not the Least Visited

Cochran County is an interesting county to visit especially if you enter from the north. It's 10 miles south of Enochs, a modern day ghost town. Enochs has about thirty abandoned buildings including two churches. A couple of the houses appear to be occupied but I don't know if they are occupied by owners, renters or squatters.

A few years back there was a bit of a land boom in Cochran County when some enterprising fellow broke up some land into lots and sold them on eBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas