Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Ah, the silly threads on CD .

They are two different cities, but not nearly as different as the popular press would have you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
I have now lived in each city for about 6 months (along with plenty of personal visits for business and vacation over the last 30 years). San Antonio hands down pretty much wins as a tourist/travel destination when you look at things to do. Unless you are coming to Austin for one of the (ridiculously overpriced) festivals, there isn't much that makes this place a destination. That being said, to me Austin equally wins hands down as a place to live, and I am proud to now call it home.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I have now lived in each city for about 6 months (along with plenty of personal visits for business and vacation over the last 30 years). San Antonio hands down pretty much wins as a tourist/travel destination when you look at things to do. Unless you are coming to Austin for one of the (ridiculously overpriced) festivals, there isn't much that makes this place a destination. That being said, to me Austin equally wins hands down as a place to live, and I am proud to now call it home.
I wouldn't say the festivals are overpriced. They all see enormous demand so obviously people want to go enough to pay the price. I would definitely pay for a badge to see some of my favorite bands.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
The neighborhoods overall are far superior in SA than in Austin. The Asian restaurants in Austin are far superior. I think SA will be going through another population boom in the coming year.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Although i've only been to Austin once, I was more impressed with San Antonio first time around (minus the skyline).

Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
Our skyline will be completely different in the next 7-8 years. Seriously, the current urban boom of residential units on the edge of downtown is creating a price increase for apartments. Because downtown land is so damn expensive, it takes certain price point per square footage in order for it to become feasible to build high rise apartment buildings. Because of the boom in the last year and a half, that rental rate is increasing faster than it ever has and by this time next year will be at $2 dollars a square foot in the downtown area. That's the number.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I wouldn't say the festivals are overpriced. They all see enormous demand so obviously people want to go enough to pay the price. I would definitely pay for a badge to see some of my favorite bands.
Badges for SXSW - $800-1600. Austin food and wine event coming up - $450. 3 day pass to ACL Fest $225.

Arguably the last one is ok. But I am a single father with three kids. I am degreed and work in a professional field but I can't afford those prices, nor can most locals. I would so LOVE to be able to take part in some of those events, the first two in particular. But not gonna happen at those prices.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Badges for SXSW - $800-1600. Austin food and wine event coming up - $450. 3 day pass to ACL Fest $225.

Arguably the last one is ok. But I am a single father with three kids. I am degreed and work in a professional field but I can't afford those prices, nor can most locals. I would so LOVE to be able to take part in some of those events, the first two in particular. But not gonna happen at those prices.
I agree those prices are high. Obviously though people are willing to pay them.

Paul McCartney's show in Austin will sell out Friday morning in 5 minutes. What do you think those tickets will go for?

More galling to me is what a college football ticket costs. Want to take your family to see a UT football game? $500 or more for 4.

Threads like this though - SA vs. Austin are silly. The cities are very different. My parents lived in SA from 1975-2011. I went to high school in SA. I lived in Houston too. And now I live in Austin. For me Austin works better. It feels younger, it is better educated, more "techie", less obese, and has overall more of what I want to do. But SA has its own charm. It looks and feels different. It is an older city which is both good and bad. I like that it isn't dominated by burnt orange. Both cities are fine places to raise a family.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
You should probably give San Antonio a visit. Things have changed quite a bit from just 5 years ago.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
You should probably give San Antonio a visit. Things have changed quite a bit from just 5 years ago.
Are you talking to me? Because I was just there last year April (2012). While San Antonio's downtown is still the busiest and probably the most exciting in terms of walkability and activity, the skyline didn't seem to change that much.

San Antonio also has another urban cluster of buildings on the West part of the city (Medical Center) but that is not a skyline to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas