Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,302,304 times

Advertisements

The mainstream? I don't understand how people can even stand some of the things that are mainstream right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times
Don't do it. With all your talk about how you want a place that isn't too "Texas", IN Texas, you'll be miserable, and you'll be one of those people who moves to somewhere and complains all the time about how it's not where you moved from and keeps repeating those alienating words, "In X we did it THIS way and you should do it that way here, too, because X is better than Texas."

Being gay wouldn't be an issue. Hating Texas (as you clearly do without even really knowing it, based on stereotyping) definitely would, you need to be looking somewhere else for happiness.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,224,520 times
^^^ Exactly. In earlier threads the op asked about Tx, but complained about it being "too southern" among other things. Sheez!

If the date you ask to the prom is your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice, you probably shouldn't complain to them that they weren't good enough to make the first cut. And you certainly shouldn't remind them that they are "too" this or "too" that. The op would hate it in Tx.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,610,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The difference is probably minimal. My concern with Dallas is that I keep hearing that there are many, many people there who are pretentious, fake or materialistic, compared to Houston. That's a major turn off to me. I don't like attitudes or superiority complexes. I also prefer the landscape and scenery of Houston, because it's green and lush and full of trees, albeit flat. And I thought I was going to get into a car accident driving in Dallas. When I drove through Houston, it was much easier going. So, I think I'm going to go with Houston. I don't mind diversity, as long as there are also plenty of white people so that I don't stick out like a sore thumb. I think that's understandable. The Houston metro area has a 39% white population, which is fine with me. And I would love to enjoy all the other international ethnic restaurants as well, and make friends. I also didn't like the fact that Dallas is next to Fort Worth, which apparently is a western/cowtown place. I would NOT like that at all. I want to minimize the western scene and maximize a more international/mainstream scene.
Suit yourself. You will hate it.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM

61 posts, read 117,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dude, I've read your posts before and have become familiar with what you don't seem to like. You will hate it here. You thought Dallas had too many minorities and was dirty and you're considering Houston??? Thats like complaining about the winters in South Dakota and moving to North Dakota.

Have you thought about Oklahoma or Kansas? Both have less diversity, are clean, and have strong economies.

I'm not trying to be a jacka$$, but I really think you won't like it here. You've tried so hard to stereotype this state into a bunch of anti-gay rednecks on other threads. If you really feel that way and are gay, why even bother coming here? This isn't the only place you could find work.
I agree with this post.

OP, I know most states' economies are not exactly strong right now, but it's my understanding that Accounting as a discipline has weathered the recession fairly well. Jobs are available in places other than Texas, and I do think there are other areas of the country that would better-align with what you're looking for. I mean, you criticized Austin in a previous thread for being "too Mexican" and expressed a desire to live in the metro that is "least Texasy."

I think you would be least unhappy in Dallas, but unhappy nonetheless.

If you want unpretentious, clean, Caucasian, and a reasonable cost of living, I'd suggest focusing your search on the Midwest.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM

275 posts, read 414,360 times
[

Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,173,906 times
They're all right. If you don't want... and that's a commitment to WANT to move to Texas then you best consider something else. Nothing so sad in Texas as a transplant who discovers he landed in the pits of hell. Cause after all is said and done, hell is not any place you'd want to prefer. And Texas can be hell.. or a hell of a great place. But you gotta want it.

As far as unpretentious and 'not to Texasy', I'd suggest Oklahoma. Absolutely NOTHIN' pretentious or Texasy about Oklahoma. And you can ride and rope there, and do big oil, too. Boone Pickens owns a big university there.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,843,586 times
Whatever. I think Houston would be the best choice in TX for me. I mentioned my reasons earlier. As I've said, I thought Dallas was too hectic and the landscape was a bit "dry" and prairie looking. And the people in general are more pretentious. Houston, on the other hand, seems like I'd like it. It's very green, less hectic and has more easy going people. I'm right about these things...right?

I know Texas isn't going to be anything like Connecticut. I accept that. And I'm open to adapting to change.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM

275 posts, read 414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which metro area is more "Texasy?" I would rather live in the one that's not.
Try the shoe on the other foot, and look at what you've written from a Texan's perspective. How would you like it if I moved to the Northeast and asked if I could find a place to live where there are few to no "Yankees." Or, how about this: "Could you tell me where I can live that doesn't have too many people who say 'pakh' for 'park' and 'yahd' for 'yard.'"

If I moved to a part of the country where I wasn't from and had no roots, I'd try my best to see my new home through positive eyes. How you can move to any part of Texas and not expect it to be somewhat "Texasy" (whatever that is) is beyond me.

Good luck with wherever you decide to move.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,843,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
Try the shoe on the other foot, and look at what you've written from a Texan's perspective. How would you like it if I moved to the Northeast and asked if I could find a place to live where there are few to no "Yankees." Or, how about this: "Could you tell me where I can live that doesn't have too many people who say 'pakh' for 'park' and 'yahd' for 'yard.'"

If I moved to a part of the country where I wasn't from and had no roots, I'd try my best to see my new home through positive eyes. How you can move to any part of Texas and not expect it to be somewhat "Texasy" (whatever that is) is beyond me.

Good luck with wherever you decide to move.
I'm sorry....I was just trying to maybe minimize culture shock. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas