Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM

230 posts, read 398,392 times

Advertisements

Perry under pressure to accept Obamacare - FT.com

This is one bad news to me b/c I'm in the healthcare field. We are moving to TX this summer from NJ. One of the major reasons was TX strong opposition to this Soviet-style monstrosity. I don't mean this in some figurative hyperbole way. I was born and raised in the former USSR and I really don't want to make it into some political discussion. If you still think that "Affordable" Care Act had anything to do with health reform I don't think it's possible to convince you otherwise. Let's leave it at that, and no offence to anyone still suppoting it.

But those of you who see this for what it is......need your thoghts on employment outlook in the great State of Texas? We were hopping to get some protection from the job-killing effects of Obamacare in TX, especially after much "tough talk" our BIG Guv "crispie creame" Christie folded like a cheap suit.....under demands of Obamacare, not his own weight. Sorry folks, it's very disheartning to see all of this, knowing where it has lead every other nation that's tried it in the past. It aint pretty. So...I'm in health care and my wife is returning to workforce after being stay at home mom for almost 5 years. She is in the field of accounting, finance w/ computer science background. Her field was also "helped" by Dodd-Frank reform. "Alarmed" would be a sever understatment for my state of mind right now. What do you think good people of CD? Where do you see TX in the next four years, and beyond, if Obamacare makes it to your great State? Again, this is not a political hypothetical discussion to me. I lived in the Soviet "progressive" paradise 1st half of my life. Please leave it for true believers. I just wanted to know what will happen to TX in terms of economy and employment opportunities?

Thank You all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 PM

74 posts, read 166,460 times
Wrong forum. Try here instead.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM

230 posts, read 398,392 times
Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidTiger View Post
Wrong forum. Try here instead.

Nope, my thread was intended for Dallas forum, not some political discussion. If you read what I wrote in my post, at least several times I mentioned this is not political to me. Now, it may be to you, and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid. We're waaaaay past politics on this one, and my question was specific to econmic effects of the Obamacare (tax) if it was implemented in TX, God forbid.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Perry under pressure to accept Obamacare - FT.com

This is one bad news to me b/c I'm in the healthcare field. We are moving to TX this summer from NJ. One of the major reasons was TX strong opposition to this Soviet-style monstrosity. I don't mean this in some figurative hyperbole way. I was born and raised in the former USSR and I really don't want to make it into some political discussion. If you still think that "Affordable" Care Act had anything to do with health reform I don't think it's possible to convince you otherwise. Let's leave it at that, and no offence to anyone still suppoting it.

But those of you who see this for what it is......need your thoghts on employment outlook in the great State of Texas? We were hopping to get some protection from the job-killing effects of Obamacare in TX, especially after much "tough talk" our BIG Guv "crispie creame" Christie folded like a cheap suit.....under demands of Obamacare, not his own weight. Sorry folks, it's very disheartning to see all of this, knowing where it has lead every other nation that's tried it in the past. It aint pretty. So...I'm in health care and my wife is returning to workforce after being stay at home mom for almost 5 years. She is in the field of accounting, finance w/ computer science background. Her field was also "helped" by Dodd-Frank reform. "Alarmed" would be a sever understatment for my state of mind right now. What do you think good people of CD? Where do you see TX in the next four years, and beyond, if Obamacare makes it to your great State? Again, this is not a political hypothetical discussion to me. I lived in the Soviet "progressive" paradise 1st half of my life. Please leave it for true believers. I just wanted to know what will happen to TX in terms of economy and employment opportunities?

Thank You all in advance.
Uh, he's not under pressure the accept the ACA as it's already the law of the land. What he's under pressure to do is accept the Medicaid expansion, which he really has not choice about since he's going to have to accept it eventually (in some form or another). Since the hospitals will be losing their uncompensated care reimbursement from the Feds they'll need Medicaid expansion to fill that hole. It would be disastrous for the hospitals in Texas if Perry rejects expansion (especially for rural hospitals).

But again that's just the one portion of the law he gets to accept or reject. The rest of the law will be implemented in Texas just as it will be everywhere else in the US.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Nope, my thread was intended for Dallas forum, not some political discussion. If you read what I wrote in my post, at least several times I mentioned this is not political to me. Now, it may be to you, and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid. We're waaaaay past politics on this one, and my question was specific to econmic effects of the Obamacare (tax) if it was implemented in TX, God forbid.
If it's not specific to Dallas or its suburbs, it doesn't belong in the Dallas forum.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Really odd question.

Its highly politically charged and requires a crystal ball to answee.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
"Guv Perry" is a fool. He wants to refuse the money for the first few years (so TX will be on the hook for ALL of the cost) rather than have it phased in gradually.

That being said, you're a fool if you think this isn't a politically charged topic. It's rather obvious right off the bat which camp you're in.

(FWIW, I was in the finance field for 15 years. Dodd-Frank was a VERY necessary piece of legislation.)

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
"Guv Perry" is a fool. He wants to refuse the money for the first few years (so TX will be on the hook for ALL of the cost) rather than have it phased in gradually.

That being said, you're a fool if you think this isn't a politically charged topic. It's rather obvious right off the bat which camp you're in.

(FWIW, I was in the finance field for 15 years. Dodd-Frank was a VERY necessary piece of legislation.)
Sure you were in the "Finance Field." LOL. No one calls it that. Maybe you were an AP clerk. But you are no CPA or CFO or Hedge Fund Manager.

Big business and big banks are sucking off the government like no one's business. Dodd-Frank was just more of the same. Banks should be firewalled off and the rest of the system told they will have NO bailouts and must rise and fall like any other firm. The Fed and the Treasury have been manipulated to benefit Goldman Sachs and their pals since 2008. The Democratic Governor of NJ, Corzine, STOLE billions of depositors funds to cover bad bets in the currency market. NO ONE has gone to jail for 2008 - unlike the S&L meltdown in 1980s. Dodd-Frank was a bandaid to cover a spurting arterial rupture.

--

For over 80s years Texas has funded the county hospital system where anyone can get medical care. If you are a family of four making under 24,000 a year, you can get free healthcare thanks to the hospital district property taxes we all pay. Texas was one of the first states to do this and this system has worked very well. I do not see any need to change it.

I worked in the medical industry on the software side for 10 years. I built the first multi-hospital/clinic system that spanned several states. Some of the kids I trained up now head up some of the "healthcare exchange" efforts underway. They tell me it is a huge mess.

Others work for insurers and they say huge cost increases are coming - way above this year's 15% increase. 35-80% in most cases.

MANY families will lose coverage as the cost increases will not be sustainable. When grown men find out that their kid's healthcare policy has been cancelled, there will be revolution in the streets.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
MANY families will lose coverage as the cost increases will not be sustainable. When grown men find out that their kid's healthcare policy has been cancelled, there will be revolution in the streets.
The costs of medical care (in the US) were already not sustainable, and that was true before the ACA came into play.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Have you read all 900 pages in the healthcare bill?

I'm sure Governor Perry or his associates have & nothing that's in it could possibly be good for the people of Texas unless you're a leach to society liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: