Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hey, we have the blues down here, too.
I kind of agree with him though...I have never known how to word what he's talking about, but Ive definitely noticed it since Ive been living in Southeast Texas. Ive always noticed that you dont really hear as much Sir Charles, or Bobby Bluebland or whoever playing down here. I think they do SOME blues down here in the Houston/Southeast Texas area, but it wasnt until I stayed in Huntsville that I realized that they REALLY do the zydeco thing more here in Southeast Texas - especially in the smaller country towns. I think its because zydeco is really more of a Southwest Louisiana/Southeast Texas thing specifically. Whereas, I think blues and country music is just a carryover from other regions of the general south that Northeast Texas identifies with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Crazy I've never been to West Texas EVER. I've been to pretty much every other part of Texas but South and West Texas. Which seems like night and day to me.

I can agree with alot of that. And yeah the area in Southeast Texas is more Cajun country Houston influenced region. Beamount/Port Arthur/Orange that Golden Triangle is awhole different ball game. They play Zydeco North East Texas plays Blues. Their twin sisters would be Lake Charles and Lafayette and ours would be Shreveport-Bossier City and El Dorado,Arkansas.

Really?...you think Eldorado is part of our Sister Region? It definitely could be, I havent been there, but Ive been to Hope, Arkansas, and I'd say it is virtually identical to most of East Texas. Hope, Arkansas looked no different from Marshall or Longview, or Texarkana when I went through there. They even have a few Mexican Restaurants like some of the towns of East Texas do.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,574,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
San Augustine is one of the friendliest strangest towns in East Texas. Friendly yes, strange in a really introverted way, double yes. The houses that you see on the main road are beautiful, but the empty ones in the bushes are sad, yet filled the possibilities of ghosts.

I moved to Nac. Glad I did, but in some ways still miss the quietness and knowing it was noon or 6 pm by the church bells from the Methodist church.

Cheers
Qazulight
Funny, I use to get the same feeling too passing through San Augustine and I've actually heard ghost stories coming out of San Augustine.

San Augustine, Texas, Ghost Sightings

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I kind of agree with him though...I have never known how to word what he's talking about, but Ive definitely noticed it since Ive been living in Southeast Texas. Ive always noticed that you dont really hear as much Sir Charles, or Bobby Bluebland or whoever playing down here. I think they do SOME blues down here in the Houston/Southeast Texas area, but it wasnt until I stayed in Huntsville that I realized that they REALLY do the zydeco thing more here in Southeast Texas - especially in the smaller country towns. I think its because zydeco is really more of a Southwest Louisiana/Southeast Texas thing specifically. Whereas, I think blues and country music is just a carryover from other regions of the general south that Northeast Texas identifies with
Exactly, Of course it's blues in the Southeast but you also have that zydeco mix. In Northeast Texas/Piney Woods I rarely heard Zydeco. Even in Shreveport-Bossier City you don't really hear Zydeco. Also what alot of people don't realize is that East Texas help birth the sound of Blues. The Delta get's alot of credit and deserves it but East Texas had their own style of blues going on around the same time. So it's deeply rooted in Blues. Not to mention alot of the blues in Texas period stems from East Texas. You know when Houston and Dallas started progressing and East Texas still was heavy into segregation and racism alot of migrated out of East Texas and in Dallas and Houston. Not to mention other parts of the country like California and even Scott Joplin being from Texarkana but migrating to the midwest helped push the sound of Ragtime music. North East Texas had a hand in the creation of ragtime. Of course St.Louis and New Orleans get more credit because they were bigger cities and more important and relevant at the time atleast in the popularity of Ragtime. East Texas was just an area consisting of small cities and towns with no major districts outside of Marshall just backwood country time parties and what not.

Not to mention Marshall is the birthplace of "Boogie Woogie" and they even started doing a Boogie Woogie festival to celebrate the music. Alot of people don't realize the contributions East Texas has made when it comes to music and culture in general.

Marshall Texas: Birthplace of Boogie Woogie Spring 2012 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Really?...you think Eldorado is part of our Sister Region? It definitely could be, I havent been there, but Ive been to Hope, Arkansas, and I'd say it is virtually identical to most of East Texas. Hope, Arkansas looked no different from Marshall or Longview, or Texarkana when I went through there. They even have a few Mexican Restaurants like some of the towns of East Texas do.
And yes I say El Dorado because when I went there it never feel like I left East Texas. And I still think it's in the region of Ark-La-Tex. It's not too far from Texarkana,Shreveport,Ruston or Marshall.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,902,154 times
I hate East Texas' music scene. Its way behind the times.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I hate East Texas' music scene. Its way behind the times.
I'm speaking on East Texas music scene from a historical perspective. East Texas music scene as in today is a result of the decline of East Texas population. With the population boom of cities West and South of East Texas many many decades ago so too went the music scene. But historically I don't think any other area in Texas has made more contributions to music then East Texas.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,270,642 times
Quote:
I'm speaking on East Texas music scene from a historical perspective. East Texas music scene as in today is a result of the decline of East Texas population. With the population boom of cities West and South of East Texas many many decades ago so too went the music scene. But historically I don't think any other area in Texas has made more contributions to music then East Texas.
When I was growing up over there, there was a country music "jamboree" in just about every little town on Saturday nights. That was sort of a Texas tradition that is still carried on today in many smaller towns all over the State. It was a cousin of mine who started the one that I think is still going at Huntington, Texas. An old (yep she's really old now) girl friend has been playing at one of those things for years.

Country music in east Texas was influenced much by the blue grass and cajun sound while country music in west Texas had the influences of the western and western swing sound. I distinctly recall listening to Nashvile's WSM radio at Nashville and a lot of cajun music as a child in Angelina County. And no one can dismiss the old classic "honkytonk" country music sounds very distinctive to east Texas.

You are very right that eastern Texas has donated a lot of talent to all kinds of music. It continues to do so today.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,280,962 times
Quote:
East Texas' rap scene is among my favorites. I'd honestly rather listen to ET rap than most mainstream Houston artists.

As for the historical aspect, it's important to point out that Houston is still a blues city. For major cities, it's one of the hubs for the sound, and has been for a long time. It also had a roll in the development of blues. Virtually every place from Dallas to the Delta played a part, I believe.

Peacock Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
East Texas' rap scene is among my favorites. I'd honestly rather listen to ET rap than most mainstream Houston artists.

As for the historical aspect, it's important to point out that Houston is still a blues city. For major cities, it's one of the hubs for the sound, and has been for a long time. It also had a roll in the development of blues. Virtually every place from Dallas to the Delta played a part, I believe.

Peacock Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a few rappers out of East Texas and I mean very few that are talented but it doesn't hold a candle to Houston. And I've heard most artist out of ET. Not even close. And yes I know all about the Blues in Houston. My gf mother is apart of the Houston Blues museum and I've met a couple of legendary blues artist from Houston. But alot of those Blues artist in both Houston and Dallas blues roots can be trace back to East Texas. If you ask most old blues artist they'll credit East Texas for birthing their style not to discredit Houston or Dallas. It's even a couple of books on Texas Blues and Houston who also make a pinpoint East Texas as one of the earliest regions of Blues and the birthplace of Texas Blues. Much like blues in the midwest owe alot to the Delta when it comes to Blues.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 AM

659 posts, read 1,372,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Reminds me of something I've wondered about in the past. My dad was born in Center, Texas, but I've never figured out what it is the "center" of. Certainly not the center of the state. And doesn't seem to be the center of East Texas either.

Anyone know the answer?

It's located in the center of Shelby County.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,916,129 times
Alligator Hunting Season: open season varies by County:

Quote:
Alligator Hunting Regulations

In Angelina, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Galveston, Hardin, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Refugio, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, and Victoria counties ("core" counties), and on properties in other counties for which Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has issued CITES tags to the landowner, the open season for alligators is September 10 - 30.

In all other counties (non-core counties): Open season: April 1 - June 30. Alligators may not be taken during this season on any property where alligators were taken during the September season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas