Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM

18 posts, read 57,247 times

Advertisements

This summer I'll be relocating to the Edinburg/McAllen region, where I got a job at UTPA. Currently I live in the North East. I realize there have been threads about RGV, including some negative ones, however I am looking for some specific advice.

For the first year or two my wife and I (no kids yet) will be looking to rent an apartment, so I would like to ask the following questions

1) Generally which areas in the region (within a 10 mile radius of UTPA) are considered to be "nice"? From the little that I've seen while on interview, neighborhoods range from looking very respectable to downright scary, with some small houses even having bars on windows, which is never a good sign.

2) Any specific suggestions on apartment complexes? From the ads that I've seen online, some look suspiciously cheap (like $600/month for a 2 BR apartment), what's the catch?

3) As I understand, AC is needed for most of the year. How much can I expect to pay in utility fees for a 1-2 BR apartment?

Later on we'll be planning to buy a house. Although houses look inexpensive, I've already found out that property taxes are a very large expense and homeowner's insurance is also not cheap. Going back to utilities, how much can I expect to pay for a 2000 sq ft house, say? Also, are there any other hidden expenses, like HOA dues, etc?

Basically I'm trying to understand how far my salary will go in this region and what expenses I can expect, so many thanks to anyone who can contribute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
1, You should be good in north McAllen, many areas west and south of the university. I would recommend a duplex over a multi story apartment and yes they can be had for around $600 to $700 a month, no catch. Welcome to the Rio Grande Valley!

2. Some areas of north Mcallen and South Edinburg are serviced by Magic Valley Electric (MVEC) which is a local electricity Co-op which offers very good rates. I think I pay under .10 a KW.. They are a monopoly in certain areas but if you can choose just shop around for the best rates. I went ahead and looked up rates for north McAllen and you can check them here Get 78504 electricity rates from our qualified providers!

3. Yes AC is a necessity. You can do without AC on some days during certain months but the most part you need it all the time.

The cost of living is low here in general as far as housing, utilities etc when compared to rest of the country.

Oh and don't be put off by some of the negative comments. Some people are just unhappy. If you can adjust and adapt to the weather and the culture here you will be happy here. It really all depends on you. It is laid back, and runs at a slower pace than many places.

If you need a little help finding a place or on suggestions as to what area is good (there are many) just let me know.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
1--you would be closest to work in the Edinburg/North McAllen area. Lol--bars on windows don't necessarily indicate crime or a bad area--wrought or decorative iron is a common architectural design in south Texas. If the bars aren't decorative, or look like prison bars, you might look elsewhere
2--I recently read that there are some new "upscale" apartments being built or just built near the Edinburg medical complex, & there are others around the area
3--just accept that you will use your AC all year. Houses rarely even have fireplaces here. If they do, they are mostly for looks. I have a smallish 2500 sq ft or so house & utilities range from around $200 to $325/month all year (& we do nothing to conserve it either!). Water is usually around $50/month (that includes the sprinkler system).

This place isn't as bad as some posters would have you believe. You'll notice the ones that are consistently negative. I don't particularly like it here, but "you gotta do what you gotta do" sometimes to make a living. And I don't see the point of always staying negative. Good luck--keep us posted & let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies. My prospective colleagues seem to enjoy living in RGV, so I think there are many positives. The warm weather seems to be one of them (for now!), especially after the brutal snowy winter in the North East this year!

What is the traffic situation like? Is there a significant slowdown during rush hour?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Traffic can get a little congested at times, especially Exp 83, 281, & 10th. The one thing I've noticed here that I have never seen anywhere else in 30 years of driving is the frequency of turns at intersections from the wrong lane. It is not unusual at all to be at a red light, in the far right lane, & have the car next to you in the left lane turn right in front of you. It's crazy! Same with left turns from right lanes!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
That's how they drive in Mexico...

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That's how they drive in Mexico...
Um, did I say that?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
I would second the advice to stay in North McAllen or Edinburg.

The cost of living in the valley is about low as it gets in America, as near as I can tell. This includes prices of apartments, homes, food, restaurants, etc...

BTW, my wife did her M.A. in English at UT Pan Am and she really enjoyed it. I like the campus a lot.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM

I've been told that going over the border to Mexico is a big no-no, as it's too dangerous. Is it really that bad? I mean, people do come back in one piece, right? In any case, even if it is feasible, is there anything to do in Reynosa?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrig View Post
I've been told that going over the border to Mexico is a big no-no, as it's too dangerous. Is it really that bad? I mean, people do come back in one piece, right? In any case, even if it is feasible, is there anything to do in Reynosa?
What little I know of the valley comes from my wife and her family, who are from the Rio Grande City area. They used to all go to Mexico for shopping in Camargo and also in Reynosa. I often went too and we always had a great time but that stopped about two years ago. Now even my mother in law won't go, and she's a pretty tough lady. I do know some people who go once in a while and nothing ever happens to them, but I'd say its generally un-advisable right now. If things get a little more under control there, I'd love to go back to Reynosa. There are some great bars in Reynosa for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas