Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times

Advertisements

This ones a nice list.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-0...efore-you-die/

Funny because its the Dallas Observer & 9 out of 30 are in the Houston/Galveston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,333,260 times
Gaidos, Matt's El Rancho, El Fenix, Pappas Steakhouse? No, no, no, and no.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im going to try to spread the love around Texas based on some places that Ive eaten and loved. These are not in order from best to worse, just 10 of my favorites:

1) Bolsa-Dallas: The rabitt sausage is some of the best anything youll ever eat. Located in the Bishop Arts area.

2) Joe T Garcia's-Fort Worth: I dont care what anyone says, this is my favorite Tex-Mex of any place ever. The Margaritas and Chimichanga's are insanely delicious.

3) Kiki's Taco's-McAllen: Six Tacos for $4 and the pastor is cooked to perfection. Enough said.

4) Tandor Indian-Arlington: This is the single best Indian food I have ever eaten in any city in the US. There is a window into the kitchen where a man in a turban makes the naan fresh.

5) Pho Danh-Houston: My favorite Pho Ive ever had. Dont forgot the Vietnamese Iced Tea!

6) Chicos Tacos-El Paso: Rolled beef Tacos in the red sauce. Enough said!

7) Underbelly-Houston: The Pork Belly sliders!!! So freaking amazing!

8) Cuquitas-Farmers Branch: These are the single best enchiladas Ive ever had. Make sure to get it with the green sauce!

9) Hard 8-Brady: Best BBQ in Texas!

10) Brooklyn Athletic Club-Houston: This one is a Houston fixture. They have a very diverse and creative menu. The meatballs are amazing.
Not according to Texas Monthly Magazine.

The best BBQ joint in Texas goes to Stanley's in Tyler 2 years running.

Home - Stanley's Famous Pit Barbecue

Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Gaidos, Matt's El Rancho, El Fenix, Pappas Steakhouse? No, no, no, and no.
El Fenix is disgusting. Its like eating a TV dinner.

Why people would dine at El Fenix when you have options like Cuquitas, Herrera's, Tipico's, etc. Not to mention everything thats available by Bishop Arts, Maple Ave, Northwest Dallas, and many of the suburbs as well is beyond me.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Ive eaten at both, prefer Hard 8.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,657,615 times
Quote:
El Fenix is disgusting. Its like eating a TV dinner.
Why people would dine at El Fenix when you have options like Cuquitas, Herrera's, Tipico's, etc.
Completely agree!!! DH and I can't stand El Fenix. It's too bland and "gringo" especially for DH who is from South Texas!

Personally, we love Mariano's for Mexican food. I moss the original in Old Town Dallas, but the Arlington one is good, too. Our other favorite was a place in San Angelo (Mejor Que Nada) that has, sadly, closed.

Other places not to miss IMHO:

Mama's Daughter original on Irving Blvd near downtown Dallas
Hard Eight BBQ in Brady

Sadly, Fredericksburg has not been impressive for good restaurants, at least in my book...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,752,477 times
Here is what my top ten looks like:

1. Best seafood/Asian - Uchiko, Austin - freshest fish, Japanese fusion with a Texas twist. Thank God for Paul Qui.

2. Best Italian - Il Sogno, San Antonio - easily the best Italian food I have eaten in the state of Texas and comparable to the best Italian food I have eaten anywhere.

3/4. Best BBQ - spoilt for choices in TX, but City Market in Luling for best overall meat, and Franklin in Austin (the lines are annoying and it is not always consistent, and the sides and pork are less than stellar, but the best brisket I have ever eaten was there).

5. Best soul food - This is It, Houston - a huge pile of oxtail that I thought I would never be able to finish. I finished it and even though I could barely move, I wanted more.

6. Best game dishes - Cafe Cenizo, Gage Hotel, Marathon. Unfortunately gone, and while its replacement 12 is very good, not quite as spectacular as Cenizo.

7. Best Mexican - Fonda San Miguel, Austin, really only for the watermelon margaritas and the duck enchiladas, and the most beautiful dining room I have seen in the state. (I am in Mexico City fairly often and find Mexican food in Texas generally quite disappointing).

8. Best Tex-Mex - L&J cafe, El Paso - most delicious take on the staples - enchiladas, fajitas, quesadillas etc - divey but beyond delicious. Honorable mention - the Original Ninfas, Houston.

9. Best Southwestern food - Stephan Pyles, Dallas, very pricey but worth the splurge.

10.Best steak - spoiled for choice again here, but my vote goes to Killen's in Pearland.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
7. Best Mexican - Fonda San Miguel, Austin, really only for the watermelon margaritas and the duck enchiladas, and the most beautiful dining room I have seen in the state. (I am in Mexico City fairly often and find Mexican food in Texas generally quite disappointing).
What people dont realize many times is that Mexican food in the various cities in Texas tends to reflect the region of Mexico where Mexicans come from.

In Houston, you get a large number of Mexicans from the Gulf and the cuisine there reflects that. In Dallas, you get a large number of Mexicans from the interior of Mexico and the food here reflects that. San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley have established Mexican communities and the food there blends more with the Texas cuisine (thus more Tex-Mexy).

On a proportion basis, there arent a lot of Mexicans from Distrito Federal that migrate to Texas. Therefore the cuisine that you might find there is not conducive to what you would find in Texas (or California for that matter). I travel frequently to Mexico City as well and I love many of the local delicacies that are hard to find here. I do enjoy a good Pibil dish or Mole Poblano (from Puebla). Those are available in most major cities in Texas, but you have to look for them.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,752,477 times
Quote:
What people dont realize many times is that Mexican food in the various cities in Texas tends to reflect the region of Mexico where Mexicans come from.

In Houston, you get a large number of Mexicans from the Gulf and the cuisine there reflects that. In Dallas, you get a large number of Mexicans from the interior of Mexico and the food here reflects that. San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley have established Mexican communities and the food there blends more with the Texas cuisine (thus more Tex-Mexy).

On a proportion basis, there arent a lot of Mexicans from Distrito Federal that migrate to Texas. Therefore the cuisine that you might find there is not conducive to what you would find in Texas (or California for that matter). I travel frequently to Mexico City as well and I love many of the local delicacies that are hard to find here. I do enjoy a good Pibil dish or Mole Poblano (from Puebla). Those are available in most major cities in Texas, but you have to look for them.
I agree with this for the most part. However most Mexican regional cuisines are well-represented in DF in addition to the regional cuisine of the valley of Mexico. There is considerable internal migration to the capital city. I think the major difference between Mexican food in Mexico and Mexican food in Texas is that the produce in Mexico is generally fresher: seasonal and local, shorter supply chains, picked when ripe and less likely to be irradiated, waxed, frozen, genetically modified, and generally tortured. Americans have sacrificed flavor and nutrition for appearance, and the hope of safety. Mexicans have not yet.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:46 PM

782 posts, read 1,100,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

I'll see you Texas Monthly, and raise you Bon Apetit (and others) labelling Franklin's in Austin as best BBQ in the nation. Now, to be fair the sides there are awful in my opinion, and the pulled pork too peppery. But the ribs are outstanding, and it is easily the best brisket I have ever had in my life. I also am personally a big fan of the wonderfully complex espresso BBQ sauce, one of several sauces on offer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas