Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM

782 posts, read 1,100,961 times

Advertisements

I can appreciate everything from simple but great trailer food, to high end dinning. My choices here tend towards the casual but unique and inspiring rather than the suit and tie high end fare. This is in no particular order:

1. Uchiko (Austin) - great asian fusion dishes, amazing experience.
2. Franklin's BBQ (Austin) - I kind of said it above - the place is not perfect, but it does offer the best brisket you will find anywhere, some amazing ribs as well, and the sausage isn't too shabby either. The espresso sauce in particular is great, unique and complex.
3. City Market (Lulling) - another great example of Texas style BBQ, and an iconic place not to be missed.
4. Banger's Sausage House (Austin) - Not fine dinning, and your choices here are sausage, sausage and sausage. Choose from dozens of sausages made on site, including frequent daily specials, brunch specials and others. Also enjoy over 100 beers on tap, including a few now made especially for this location. They also have the best chilli chese fries I have ever had in my life, and an amazing jalapeno creamed corn topped with crispy onion strings. What they do, they do exceptionally well, and everything here is home made, fresh and perfect.
5. El Naranjo (Austin) - High end interior Mexican food, and the couple of times I have been it has been heavenly.
6. Fadi's (Houston) - I spent two summers in Israel, Lebannon and Jordan and fell in love with the cuisine. This is one of the finest examples of that cooking I have found this side of the Atlantic, and a spot I stop in almost every time I am back in Houston.
7. Grimaldi's (The Woodlands/Houston) - The best pizza I have had in Texas, wonderfully fresh ingredients, brick oven, pretty much perfect every time and I frequent it alot when in town.

I reserve my last few spots while I think about it some more ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,942,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I can appreciate everything from simple but great trailer food, to high end dinning. My choices here tend towards the casual but unique and inspiring rather than the suit and tie high end fare. This is in no particular order:

1. Uchiko (Austin) - great asian fusion dishes, amazing experience.
2. Franklin's BBQ (Austin) - I kind of said it above - the place is not perfect, but it does offer the best brisket you will find anywhere, some amazing ribs as well, and the sausage isn't too shabby either. The espresso sauce in particular is great, unique and complex.
3. City Market (Lulling) - another great example of Texas style BBQ, and an iconic place not to be missed.
4. Banger's Sausage House (Austin) - Not fine dinning, and your choices here are sausage, sausage and sausage. Choose from dozens of sausages made on site, including frequent daily specials, brunch specials and others. Also enjoy over 100 beers on tap, including a few now made especially for this location. They also have the best chilli chese fries I have ever had in my life, and an amazing jalapeno creamed corn topped with crispy onion strings. What they do, they do exceptionally well, and everything here is home made, fresh and perfect.
5. El Naranjo (Austin) - High end interior Mexican food, and the couple of times I have been it has been heavenly.
6. Fadi's (Houston) - I spent two summers in Israel, Lebannon and Jordan and fell in love with the cuisine. This is one of the finest examples of that cooking I have found this side of the Atlantic, and a spot I stop in almost every time I am back in Houston.
7. Grimaldi's (The Woodlands/Houston) - The best pizza I have had in Texas, wonderfully fresh ingredients, brick oven, pretty much perfect every time and I frequent it alot when in town.

I reserve my last few spots while I think about it some more ...
I ate at Grimaldi's in Dallas and it was good. I think they actually use a coal oven, though. Brick ovens are actually pretty meh and produce pizza not much better than your regular pizza oven, but coal ovens are what really make New York style pizza shine. The temperatures get much hotter, therefore you're left with a crispy outisde, soft inside, and smokey char on the bottom of the crust.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Grimaldis is good, but its a NYC based chain. The original is under the Brooklyn Bridge. It really shouldn't be associated with Texas even though its here.

I enjoy Fadis and go to the one on Preston road occasionally, but being Lebanese myself, I've head better in both Dallas and Houston. Of course, no place, not even LA or NYC, can match the quality of Lebanese food in Detroit.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Grimaldis is good, but its a NYC based chain. The original is under the Brooklyn Bridge. It really shouldn't be associated with Texas even though its here.

I enjoy Fadis and go to the one on Preston road occasionally, but being Lebanese myself, I've head better in both Dallas and Houston. Of course, no place, not even LA or NYC, can match the quality of Lebanese food in Detroit.
Good point. I've actually been to the Brooklyn location. Very good!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:

On a proportion basis, there arent a lot of Mexicans from Distrito Federal that migrate to Texas. Therefore the cuisine that you might find there is not conducive to what you would find in Texas (or California for that matter). I travel frequently to Mexico City as well and I love many of the local delicacies that are hard to find here. I do enjoy a good Pibil dish or Mole Poblano (from Puebla). Those are available in most major cities in Texas, but you have to look for them.
I think I hate you. I'd kill to be able to get great interior Mexican food, especially central (San Luis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende) Mexico City and northern (Saltillo, Monterrey).

Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I think I hate you. I'd kill to be able to get great interior Mexican food, especially central (San Luis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende) Mexico City and northern (Saltillo, Monterrey).
Spend more time in Dallas. Thats one area of where Dallas excells in the category of Mexican food: interior Mexican food. A very large portion of the Dallas Mexican populace is from San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato, Aguascalientes, Coahuilla, Queretaro, Durango, and Nuevo Leon, thats what the cuisine here reflects.

In California, we were so used to the Baja cuisine and the local dishes from Michoacan and Sonora.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Could someone please tell me what interior mexican food involves? I hear the term all the time but have no concrete explanation of the dishes.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm curious as to what you think is better (though I use the Westheimer location). I have only done a little exploring of this kind of cuisine in Dallas, but I have done it extensively throughout Houston and not found any I feel is better there.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Could someone please tell me what interior mexican food involves? I hear the term all the time but have no concrete explanation of the dishes.
Most Mexican that you find in the states is Tex-Mex, and not the types of food that you would actually see alot of in mexico itself. Tex-Mex has a much heavier use of things like cumin, cheeses, and an over-reliance on meat (fajitas, etc). Interior Mexican is a way of saying "authentic Mexican" basically. It's hard to describe what exactly it is, because Mexico actually has a number of regional cuisines and the food varies from one to the other.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Most Mexican that you find in the states is Tex-Mex, and not the types of food that you would actually see alot of in mexico itself. Tex-Mex has a much heavier use of things like cumin, cheeses, and an over-reliance on meat (fajitas, etc). Interior Mexican is a way of saying "authentic Mexican" basically. It's hard to describe what exactly it is, because Mexico actually has a number of regional cuisines and the food varies from one to the other.
Lol, I know all that already. I was just wondering what some of the specific regional dishes were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas