U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 660,014 times
Reputation: 452

Advertisements

1. Fuego Tortilla Grill, College Station, TX
Great tacos! Probably a local store. It's open year round, 24 hours a day and the price is reasonable. Tons of college students eat there.

2.Bubba's BBQ, Bryan, TX
Great value, for less than 10 dollars you can have BBQ buffet. Not the best BBQ ever but the best value ever. They serve Fried shirimps on Fridays.
Also a local store.

3.Czech Tex Steakhouse,Barbeque and Bakery(Closed) Snook, TX
Great restaurant, but it's closed permanently. I miss it so much!

4.Saltgrass steakhouse, Houston,TX
Pretty good steaks, nice atmosphere.
It's actually a chain of restaurants but Houston is the headquarter. Most of its locations are in Texas.

5.Layne's Chicken Fingers, College Station, TX
The chicken fingers are delicious, and their sauce is unique and awesome! One of the best sauces I've ever tried.
The service is just okay. Fast food style.

6.Din Ho Chinese BBQ, Austin,TX
The best Chinese restaurant in Austin, and one of the best in Texas. The cuisine is very authentic, but they also serve Americanlized Chinese food. Go there if you want something authentic.
The downside is poor service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,019 posts, read 5,037,415 times
Reputation: 3981
[quote=ChristieP;29156602]
Personally, we love Mariano's for Mexican food. I moss the original in Old Town Dallas, but the Arlington one is good, too. Our other favorite was a place in San Angelo (Mejor Que Nada) that has, sadly, closed.
Oh no! That makes me so sad. We loved that place.

[quote=Ag77845;29179867]1. Fuego Tortilla Grill, College Station, TX
Great tacos! Probably a local store. It's open year round, 24 hours a day and the price is reasonable. Tons of college students eat there.

This place is wonderful and yes, it is local. Since our son graduated from A&M last year we never get down there, and I miss Fuego. We've been known to eat there 2 in once day. They have delicious breakfast tacos.

4.Saltgrass steakhouse, Houston,TX

Pretty good steaks, nice atmosphere.
It's actually a chain of restaurants but Houston is the headquarter. Most of its locations are in Texas.
It's a chain. They are everywhere.

5.Layne's Chicken Fingers, College Station, TX
The chicken fingers are delicious, and their sauce is unique and awesome! One of the best sauces I've ever tried.
The service is just okay. Fast food style.
I agree this place is good, but I don't know that I'd say it was one of the top 10 places in Texas.

Also, while thinking of Bryan/College Station, Christophers New World Grille. This place, while expensive, is extremely nice and the food is wonderful. They have a wonderful Sunday brunch and their steaks are delicious. Great place for a special occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: League City
2,318 posts, read 3,199,574 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
Floyd's in Beaumont

Al T's in Winnie

Larry's French Market in Groves

Willie Burger in Beaumont
I still want to go to Larry's, especially when there's music. I grew up in the area and haven't been yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
14,519 posts, read 21,161,315 times
Reputation: 6509
Fonda San Miguel, Austin, TX. It is open for dinner only and brunch on Sunday.

http://www.fondasanmiguel.com/Fonda_Menu.pdf

Quote:
Fonda San Miguel ~ Austin, Tx

Fonda San Miguel, which opened in 1975, is recognized as one of the finest interior Mexican restaurants in the country. It features classic regional Mexican cuisine prepared with authentic recipes and numerous ingredients from the restaurantís on-site organic garden. Exciting specials are offered nightly. It offers a unique dining experience that should not be missed by visitors to Austin.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
681 posts, read 753,161 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
Floyd's in Beaumont

Al T's in Winnie

Larry's French Market in Groves

Willie Burger in Beaumont
Nice List!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
681 posts, read 753,161 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
Floyd's in Beaumont

Al T's in Winnie

Larry's French Market in Groves

Willie Burger in Beaumont
Ill add more..LOL

Bruces (Port Arhur) - Best Cajun Food in Texas

J & J's (Port Arthur)

Nicks Boudain (Port Arthur)

The Boudain Hut (Port Arthur)

Tracies (Port Arthur)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM
 
Location: The GREAT State of TEXAS
258 posts, read 288,454 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Ill add more..LOL

Bruces (Port Arhur) - Best Cajun Food in Texas

J & J's (Port Arthur)

Nicks Boudain (Port Arthur)

The Boudain Hut (Port Arthur)

Tracies (Port Arthur)
Oh snap! I forgot Nick's for Boudain. That is some good stuff.
I've been to the Boudain Hut but didn't eat there. Haven't been to J&J's or Bruce's either. Perhaps the next time I go visit Mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,187,339 times
Reputation: 2587
A lot of good suggestions so far! I may post some pics I took soon.

I know there's more ppl that can contribute! Kathryn? Reb? I know y'all know the state well enough to give some good recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Status: "Don't pick up anything you can't put down." (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
17,268 posts, read 8,550,393 times
Reputation: 20550
1. Bernard's Mediterranean Restaurant - Tyler, Texas.
Bernard Mediterranean - Tyler | Urbanspoon
Terrific ambiance and the best filet mignon with bearnaise sauce that I've ever tasted. Also, their ahi tuna (when you can get it) and their scallops are to die for. Great date restaurant!

2. Taqueria El Lugar - Tyler, Texas.
Taqueria El Lugar - Tyler | Urbanspoon
Hands down, the best "cheap and easy" Tex Mex food money can buy. Get the FAMOUS #7!

3. Country Tavern BBQ - Kilgore, Texas.
Country Tavern - Kilgore, TX
Pork ribs just don't get any better than this. Smoky, sweet, meat falls off the bone it's so tender.

4. Gruene River Grill - New Braunfels, TX
Gruene River Grill - New Braunfels, TX
Delicious American/Texan cuisine in a great setting!

5. Charley's Old Fashioned Hamburgers - Fort Worth, TX
Charley's Old Fashioned Hamburgers - Fort Worth, TX
Super fun place to eat, very old school, quirky sense of humor from everyone - staff and fellow diners! Delicious hamburgers!

6. Speaking of hamburgers - JUCY'S! Tyler, TX
Jucy's Hamburgers - Tyler, TX
What it may lack in ambiance, it makes up in flavor! Absolutely the best burgers anywhere! Great beans too.

7. Nanny Goats Cafe - Kilgore, TX
Nanny Goat's Cafe - Kilgore, TX
Creative, quirky menu items, top quality, very fresh, terrific combos of flavors, fun atmosphere, laid back, and right in the middle of cute little downtown Kilgore - what more could you ask?

8. Fritz's Restaurant - Longview, TX
Fritz's Restaurant - Longview, TX
Come hungry. Don't even think about calories when you're here. Fabulous romantic dinner destination - no one under 18 allowed! (Yes, it's true!) Their pasta dishes are luscious, and service is always excellent.

9. The Shed - Edom, TX
The Shed Cafe - Edom, TX
OMG best pies EVER. Diner type eating joint, with absolutely yummy down home country cooking, and terrific service - everyone is so friendly! If you want to eat food that tastes just like yore grandmama down in Birmingham used to cook up, this is the place! Plus you can go to Blue Moon Nursery afterwards and walk it off!

10. Austin Street Bistro - Jefferson, TX
Austin Street Bistro - Jefferson, TX
This place is awesome and surprisingly sophisticated - organic, locally grown foods (including the meats), beautiful breads and pastries, and very contemporary and "posh" selections. The service is EXCELLENT. The owner is a pastry chef so DON'T SKIP DESSERT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,187,339 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1. Bernard's Mediterranean Restaurant - Tyler, Texas.
Bernard Mediterranean - Tyler | Urbanspoon
Terrific ambiance and the best filet mignon with bearnaise sauce that I've ever tasted. Also, their ahi tuna (when you can get it) and their scallops are to die for. Great date restaurant!

2. Taqueria El Lugar - Tyler, Texas.
Taqueria El Lugar - Tyler | Urbanspoon
Hands down, the best "cheap and easy" Tex Mex food money can buy. Get the FAMOUS #7!

3. Country Tavern BBQ - Kilgore, Texas.
Country Tavern - Kilgore, TX
Pork ribs just don't get any better than this. Smoky, sweet, meat falls off the bone it's so tender.

4. Gruene River Grill - New Braunfels, TX
Gruene River Grill - New Braunfels, TX
Delicious American/Texan cuisine in a great setting!

5. Charley's Old Fashioned Hamburgers - Fort Worth, TX
Charley's Old Fashioned Hamburgers - Fort Worth, TX
Super fun place to eat, very old school, quirky sense of humor from everyone - staff and fellow diners! Delicious hamburgers!

6. Speaking of hamburgers - JUCY'S! Tyler, TX
Jucy's Hamburgers - Tyler, TX
What it may lack in ambiance, it makes up in flavor! Absolutely the best burgers anywhere! Great beans too.

7. Nanny Goats Cafe - Kilgore, TX
Nanny Goat's Cafe - Kilgore, TX
Creative, quirky menu items, top quality, very fresh, terrific combos of flavors, fun atmosphere, laid back, and right in the middle of cute little downtown Kilgore - what more could you ask?

8. Fritz's Restaurant - Longview, TX
Fritz's Restaurant - Longview, TX
Come hungry. Don't even think about calories when you're here. Fabulous romantic dinner destination - no one under 18 allowed! (Yes, it's true!) Their pasta dishes are luscious, and service is always excellent.

9. The Shed - Edom, TX
The Shed Cafe - Edom, TX
OMG best pies EVER. Diner type eating joint, with absolutely yummy down home country cooking, and terrific service - everyone is so friendly! If you want to eat food that tastes just like yore grandmama down in Birmingham used to cook up, this is the place! Plus you can go to Blue Moon Nursery afterwards and walk it off!

10. Austin Street Bistro - Jefferson, TX
Austin Street Bistro - Jefferson, TX
This place is awesome and surprisingly sophisticated - organic, locally grown foods (including the meats), beautiful breads and pastries, and very contemporary and "posh" selections. The service is EXCELLENT. The owner is a pastry chef so DON'T SKIP DESSERT!
Very nicely done! A lot of good East Texas representation on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top