Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,810,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Looks like they are only in East Texas so far:

Locations - The Jalapeno Tree

But they are growing!
Too funny on the name, LOL! The make-your-own combination plate would be my pick! That's one of the reasons I love Cueva de Leon in Fort Davis. Turn around to the back of the menu, and choose your own plates. You get to pick from cheeses, fillings and salsas/toppings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,428,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Too funny on the name, LOL! The make-your-own combination plate would be my pick! That's one of the reasons I love Cueva de Leon in Fort Davis. Turn around to the back of the menu, and choose your own plates. You get to pick from cheeses, fillings and salsas/toppings.
Yum!!!!! I love Tex Mex food!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,609,191 times
My hometown Waco.......

1. La Fiesta
2. Uncle Dans BBQ
3. Elite Grill
4. Heitmiller Steakhouse
5. Daves Burger Barn
6. Jaspers BBQ
7. Clay Pot Vietnamese
8. Bangkok Royale Thai
9. Harold Waites Pancake House
10. Viteks BBQ

Not in any particular order!!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,806,989 times
I have posted this a few years back but with all the food connoisseurs on this thread, will ask here:

I am a Georgia native living in Texas. Georgia BBQ (like most of the southeast) centers around pork. But a distinctive about Georgia (and Carolinas to an extent) is the side dish known as Brunswick Stew. Traditionally it was a mixture of beef, pork and chicken and was the fine meat obtained from boiling down the bones from all three after butchering. That fine meat is then mixed with tomatoes, onions and seasoned somewhat like BBQ sauce, but not really sweet. It is a thick soup or a thin stew depending on which direction you look at it.

I have had trouble finding it in Texas. I don't expect it to be at a traditional Texas BBQ establishment, but was wondering if any of you know of a place owned by someone with a background from GA or the Carolinas that serves Brunswick Stew.

Thanks for any suggestions. I will make a drive from McKinney to get some authentic Brunswick Stew.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have posted this a few years back but with all the food connoisseurs on this thread, will ask here:

I am a Georgia native living in Texas. Georgia BBQ (like most of the southeast) centers around pork. But a distinctive about Georgia (and Carolinas to an extent) is the side dish known as Brunswick Stew. Traditionally it was a mixture of beef, pork and chicken and was the fine meat obtained from boiling down the bones from all three after butchering. That fine meat is then mixed with tomatoes, onions and seasoned somewhat like BBQ sauce, but not really sweet. It is a thick soup or a thin stew depending on which direction you look at it.

I have had trouble finding it in Texas. I don't expect it to be at a traditional Texas BBQ establishment, but was wondering if any of you know of a place owned by someone with a background from GA or the Carolinas that serves Brunswick Stew.

Thanks for any suggestions. I will make a drive from McKinney to get some authentic Brunswick Stew.
I lived in Georgia for about fifteen years and I agree - Brunswick stew is AMAZING. I don't know of any place that serves the real stuff either, and I'd love some right about now.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM

I thought that Cracker Barrel served it, but I don't see it on the online menu any longer!

Good luck! I can't imagine it as a side to BBQ, since it's so meat-heavy.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,806,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I lived in Georgia for about fifteen years and I agree - Brunswick stew is AMAZING. I don't know of any place that serves the real stuff either, and I'd love some right about now.
The only place I have found that has Brunswick Stew in the DFW area is Red Hot and Blue. It is Memphis style BBQ but their Brunswick Stew was more like a beef stew... big chunks of potatoes and other stew vegetables. Had a bit of the flavoring of the Stew I am used to but still wasn't the real thing. GA stew has some kernel corn, but not heavy with it.

Help us Brunswick Stew lovers, folks!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The only place I have found that has Brunswick Stew in the DFW area is Red Hot and Blue. It is Memphis style BBQ but their Brunswick Stew was more like a beef stew... big chunks of potatoes and other stew vegetables. Had a bit of the flavoring of the Stew I am used to but still wasn't the real thing. GA stew has some kernel corn, but not heavy with it.

Help us Brunswick Stew lovers, folks!
We may just have to make some ourselves, from scratch.

This looks like a good, easy recipe:
Get a Husband Brunswick Stew Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And this one looks more complicated but is probably more "old school" and authentic:
Brunswick Stew Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

There's so many different types out there, but this looks like the type I'm used to - what about you?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

And this one looks more complicated but is probably more "old school" and authentic:
Brunswick Stew Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

That is the type I've had....and the butter (or lima) beans did me in.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM

That's it - I'm going to make some brunswick stew before it gets too hot around here to even think about eating stew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas