Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 38,843 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to the greater San Antonio area. From one short visit, and internet searches, either Boerne or Kerrville look like good options. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

We are both retired so would prefer a smaller town without the daily driving hassles. He is retired military so we do want to be within an hour's drive of a base for medical care. We both teach part-time online, so the quality of internet providers is important. We don't want acreage, just a nice house on a large lot.

I have arthritis and am a little worried about the high humidity. Any one currently living there who has osteo arthritis and can comment, good or bad?

What about Farmer's Markets, local (non-chain) restaurants or shops? We will drive to San Antonio for the occasional large purchase so that isn't as important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
That area is a great one to evaluate living. I would add a small town of Comfort which is just off I10 maybe half way between Kerrville and Borne. It is small but well located for your needs. Its a pretty area near the Guadalope River running along a limestone cliff which must be 50-75 feet tall. Not much to the town but a very pretty area.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM

69 posts, read 238,198 times
Check out Bandera, TX

Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev760 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to the greater San Antonio area. From one short visit, and internet searches, either Boerne or Kerrville look like good options. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

We are both retired so would prefer a smaller town without the daily driving hassles. He is retired military so we do want to be within an hour's drive of a base for medical care. We both teach part-time online, so the quality of internet providers is important. We don't want acreage, just a nice house on a large lot.

I have arthritis and am a little worried about the high humidity. Any one currently living there who has osteo arthritis and can comment, good or bad?

What about Farmer's Markets, local (non-chain) restaurants or shops? We will drive to San Antonio for the occasional large purchase so that isn't as important.
Howdy! If I had to choose between the two I would pick Kerrville. Boerne is a nice place, but too close to S.A. for me. Kerrville is a little bit farther into to hill country and will have a little less humidity. Boerne is basically adjoining S.A. You might want to take a look at the Leakey/ Utopia area.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev760 View Post

With Boerne, it's evolving into suburban SA & you'll pay more for a house because of the good schools (which you won't need). Nice downtown, but not any nicer than a dozen other Greater SA small towns.

What are you looking for in the small town?

& what do you define as high humidity? (if you're from SoCal, it will seem humid.....if you're from Florida, VA or Houston, it'll seem dry).

Other towns I'd looks at (since excellent schools aren't an issue) would be Bandera (like Goodhugh mentioned), New Braunfels, Seguin, Gonzales, Kerrville (all county seats), maybe more. It kind of depends what you want in a small town. Are you looking for upscale & artsy or Mayberry? Do you prefer high school football & chicken fried steak or $5 coffee & a sushi joint? Honky Tonks or wine bars?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
If she's worried about high humidity, I can't imagine choosing any of the places mentioned.

Granted, they're nice places, but they ARE humid, make no mistake about that!

Right now, according to WUnderground, San Antonio and Boerne are in the 84% range; Kerrville, 91%.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If she's worried about high humidity, I can't imagine choosing any of the places mentioned.

Granted, they're nice places, but they ARE humid, make no mistake about that!

Right now, according to WUnderground, San Antonio and Boerne are in the 84% range; Kerrville, 91%.
But it's getting ready to rain.....& it'll be in the high 40s tomorrow morning.

There are graphs around here that show the typical humidity year round (by month & by time of day).

Greater SA is alot more humid than Vegas or San Diego. But alot less humid than Miami or Atlanta (or Htown). It's a matter of perspective. (& we don't know where they're coming from)

Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
But it's getting ready to rain.....& it'll be in the high 40s tomorrow morning.

There are graphs around here that show the typical humidity year round (by month & by time of day).

Greater SA is alot more humid than Vegas or San Diego. But alot less humid than Miami or Atlanta (or Htown). It's a matter of perspective. (& we don't know where they're coming from)
Yes, it's definitely relative. But when people even mention humidity as she did, I had to assume that they are coming from either a far less humid area--or they're already in high humidity and wanting to get away from it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes, it's definitely relative. But when people even mention humidity as she did, I had to assume that they are coming from either a far less humid area--or they're already in high humidity and wanting to get away from it.
Good point.

Rule of thumb for anyone reading this. The further from the gulf the dryer it'll be. Bang for buck, dryer small towns west of SA (but under 100 miles)?

Bandera, Leakey, Uvalde, Mason?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Kerrville and Fredericksburg are wonderful. Used to live in Kerrville and loved every minute there.Also,
Mason is a very pretty small town with a beautiful town square.
-Between Boerne or Kerrville. I would take Kerrville.
Kerrville and Fredericksburg have good hospitals and a lot lower humidity than the San Antonio area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas