Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I AM LOVING THIS FABULOUS COOL SPRING! I walked outside this morning and you know how certain scents bring back strong memories?
I just got back from my daily 1.5 mile walk. We had a gentle cool breeze blowing out of the west. It was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times
Will be interesting to see what the wheat harvest looks like ... if the wheat will ever ripen. A lot of it got frosted in the dough stage. A week will tell if it is damaged.

My family will have to replant corn as about half of the seeds are rotting in the ground.

Only good news is that the flies are gone.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Will be interesting to see what the wheat harvest looks like ... if the wheat will ever ripen. A lot of it got frosted in the dough stage. A week will tell if it is damaged.

My family will have to replant corn as about half of the seeds are rotting in the ground.

Hate to hear that about your crops - but I have to admit that I love that there are no flies.

I'm sitting here with my back door wide open, the sun shining in, and that cool air is amazing!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Unfortunately, although the short cool periods we have had were sufficient to kill my apricot blooms, they will undoubtedly only slow the flies down. In areas near to dairies and feed yards, flies will likely still be bad this summer. It takes a pretty hard winter to knock these guys back significantly. Luckily, I don't have many flies over here being miles from any significant sized cattle pens.

BTW, I walk by a section of dryland wheat when I go out walking for exercise. From the road yesterday, the plants still look decent but whether any ripening occurs is a question. It doesn't look like we can plan on much spring moisture either.

We have a 20% chance of rain on Monday but I've seen it be 95% chance and not get a drop.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Well, up here in northeast Texas we've had plenty of rain and our ponds and lakes are recovering from the recent droughts, thank goodness. Everything is so green and lush! It's the best spring we've had in decades.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
.... there are people actually complaining about this weather? We haven't even had a tornado yet.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... there are people actually complaining about this weather? We haven't even had a tornado yet.
I know! My gosh, my husband and I were just outside putting together some lawn equipment and we were actually almost cold in that nippy little breeze, even though the sun was beautiful and warm. It's FANTASTIC hot tub weather too! By this time most years, we've already drained the hot tub.

Tonight - hot tub and a bottle of vino! WOOHOOO!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Unfortunately, although the short cool periods we have had were sufficient to kill my apricot blooms, they will undoubtedly only slow the flies down. In areas near to dairies and feed yards, flies will likely still be bad this summer. It takes a pretty hard winter to knock these guys back significantly.
I agree with that, and such is why I don't get upset with the cold during the winter. Besides the fact that cold those months is normal, also I realize that such cold helps kill off bugs or at least slow them down. As much as I would love year-round warmth--besides it not being normal, the other thing is such would lead to an ENORMOUS amount of bugs. So yes we need that "down" period for such maintenance.

One person was saying had that cold snap arrived in January, it would have meant single digits. I say "fine." Such would have REALLY made a dent in the bug population. Winter-time is down time anyway, no chance of it being warm enough to enjoy water sports, so as long as you're doing that, I say REALLY do it. Clobber those buggers.

Quote:
Well that's the thing, I want it warm AND no tornadoes. Why does there always have to be a minus with the good? Why can't it just be that it's warm, normally so (not 85 if the normal is 70), AND no risk of tornadoes AND no bugs AND no clouds AND no rain or very little rain--just warmth, sunshine, 24/7, from late March to mid-May, straight through, no interruptions whatsoever, especially in the form of clouds and cold snaps. After 4-odd months of it being cold, I don't WANT anymore cold, not a single minute out of the entire period from the time spring arrives. I've served my time during the winter. Especially with 97-100'F days coming by June or so, is that so much to ask? I don't think it is.

Well, if having it do all that straight-through for that long is too much to ask, so be it, but you'd think we'd have more days of sunshine without so much cloudiness and without all the cold snaps. Summertime is when it's 97'F and almost everybody is miserable, but that doesn't mean the antidote is freezing cold. I say the antidote is warmth in the 80s without any cold, and without clouds every nanosecond. Who needs clouds when, as one person said themselves, here in northeastern TX the lakes & ponds etc are back up to par, we're hardly in that awful drought we were in. Let us enjoy some sunshine, absolutely not a single cloud in the sky whatsoever, for a good month or so frankly.

LRH

Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
But it's not even cold, per se.

For the most part, it's been in the 60's and 70's. Who would complain about that?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,009 times
Quote:
But it's not even cold, per se.

For the most part, it's been in the 60's and 70's. Who would complain about that?
ME, that's who. 60 or 70 is hardly cold, but it's not 80 either. 80 or 78 is the normal, & also that's far more suitable for sunbathing and water sports etc. I know it's not as bad as, say, it being 35 when it's supposed to be 65, but it's still an aberration that curtails water sports & bathing suit fun.

LRH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas