Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM

298 posts, read 413,759 times

Advertisements

Honestly, this is perfect weather. Thank the lord it has barely gotten to the 90s. There really is nothing to complain about. Honestly, I don't see why people complain about cold weather. At least in cold weather you can heat up rather easily. In hot weather though, you really can't cool down while being outside unless you are in water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
ME, that's who. 60 or 70 is hardly cold, but it's not 80 either. 80 or 78 is the normal, & also that's far more suitable for sunbathing and water sports etc. I know it's not as bad as, say, it being 35 when it's supposed to be 65, but it's still an aberration that curtails water sports & bathing suit fun.

LRH
That doesn't make any sense. This April and May, so far, we have only had about 5 days below 70 as the high. Compare that to about 12 days of highs that were at least 80. Calm down. Based on your past posts, it seems like you overreact a little bit to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,296,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Honestly, this is perfect weather. Thank the lord it has barely gotten to the 90s. There really is nothing to complain about. Honestly, I don't see why people complain about cold weather. At least in cold weather you can heat up rather easily. In hot weather though, you really can't cool down while being outside unless you are in water.
Because warm weather is what I like, among other reasons I like water sports and when it's cold you can't engage in them, especially around here where heated pools, for whatever reason, are rarer than a $3 bill (another post for another time). You see nothing to complain about, I see plenty, and so complain I will do. You like cold weather, well hurray for you. I hate it--it makes my hands stiff, I don't have appealing scenery of nice-looking women walking around in shorts & tank tops (arguably that's a GOOD thing in terms of not being distracted etc), I myself like shooting hoops wearing only shorts & shoes and feeling the sun on me and that doesn't work when it's cold, I don't like being covered head-to-toe in thick layers of clothing all the time, and I can't engage in water sports at all during such periods. If I liked cold weather I'd moved to Michigan, Montana or Alaska etc. I didn't, so I'd like the weather I came here for thank you very much.

I see you live in Dallas--well, if you hate hot weather, that's fine, but then, you choose to live in Dallas, where it's going to be hotter than blazes by June until September or so. If that doesn't appeal to you, there's the northern states. I moved here as a matter of PURPOSE because as much as I actually don't care for it being 97'F during the summer, I'll accept it as the trade-off for milder winters and spring-time getting warm pretty quickly, the latter of which we have been seriously ripped off on.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. This April and May, so far, we have only had about 5 days below 70 as the high. Compare that to about 12 days of highs that were at least 80. Calm down. Based on your past posts, it seems like you overreact a little bit to me.
And that would be 5 days too many. Also we've had plenty of days where it's supposed to get up to about 78 and even if it got up to 70, well, that's 8 degrees shy of what it's SUPPOSED to do. If it would just be the normals every single day, no exceptions, there would be no problems. Again, to me, 78 doesn't mean 58 one day and 98 the next, it means 78 78 78 78 78 or, more reasonably, 74-82 etc. Come winter-time, when the normal is 55, I won't complain when it's cold, because it's the season for it. It's not the season for it anymore. Just be the seasons, else we might as well have Easter in November, Thanksgiving in April and Christmas in August.

And hey, I served my time during the winter, I didn't complain even if it got up only to 40 and got down to 25 at night, because hey, it was winter-time, any warm weather was out of the question. It's MY time now.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-08-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM

663 posts, read 1,719,870 times
Quote:
I see you live in Dallas--well, if you hate hot weather, that's fine, but then, you choose to live in Dallas, where it's going to be hotter than blazes by June until September or so. If that doesn't appeal to you, there's the northern states.
By that same token, you also seem to live in Dallas. If you hate large variations in temperature, that's fine, but then, you chose to live in Dallas, where the temperature is not going to stick to averages, especially in the spring. If that doesn't appeal to you, there's southern California or southern Florida.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,730,800 times
Quote:
Unless you have corn in the ground. Then its panic time.

Agriculture relies on growing degree days and minimum temps to have growing plants. If its too cool, then plants do not grow.

The corn season is 4 weeks behind in most areas.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
By that same token, you also seem to live in Dallas. If you hate large variations in temperature, that's fine, but then, you chose to live in Dallas, where the temperature is not going to stick to averages, especially in the spring. If that doesn't appeal to you, there's southern California or southern Florida.
In the first place, to me, this area and ALL areas should stick closely to the averages, because frankly in my opinion--and to me, my opinion is the only thing that matters, not someone else's opinion or even the facts--to do otherwise is just downright mentally insane and sadistic. I just think that's how it ought to be. They're called NORMALS for a reason, so By George be normal. If that's being irrational and/or me thinking I'm God or being tantamount to having your head stuck in the sand, then so be it, but to me it's not the same as, say, living in Alaska & complaining about the cold or living in Arizona & complaining about the lack of greenery.

Besides, having such limited options is hardly a remedy. Florida is too rainy, hurricane-prone and has alligators in the lakes which you can't shoot to protect yourself, California has earthquakes and wildfires, both have a high cost of living. To me, there shouldn't be huge variations of temperature ANYWHERE on the entire planet pretty much. It certainly shouldn't be to where CA & FL are your only options. If there was somewhere where the norms were adhered to strictly, it didn't cost $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment and wasn't so crowded, and you didn't have things like a foot of rain a week seemingly or wildfires everytime you turned around as "gotchas," then I'd be fine.

At least if someone likes cold weather they have Michigan, Minnesota, upstate NY, Vermont, Montana, the Blue Ridge Parkway area, TONS of places. If you like warm weather there are tons of options. If you like it cloudy & rainy you have all of Washington & Oregon (not all of which is so costly to live in from what I've noticed), if you like it dry & sunny always there's AZ and NM and NV and probably others as well like, say western TX. Such is not the case with escaping huge temperature variations with regards to having lots of options.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-08-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,863,025 times
From the inquiries I've done, this is not unheard of weather. It's still too cool to plant cotton, but this has happened before that it just didn't get warm enough to plant by the first week of May, according to the older farmers I know. What you may not realize is that we were in the middle of a very warm cycle the last 30 years or so. We've started on a cooling cycle now. Three of the last four winters in Wisconsin are more like I remember when I was a kid, except that it still isn't as cold as it used to be, but they certainly have had the snow and long winter like the old days. From all my reading, it appears we are headed for another cool cycle. So enjoy the mild spring till it gets hot, and that will not take long.

This is better than one of my first years in Texas, 1998 I believe. It hit the 90's in Dallas in April and stayed hot till mid Oct. That was the year they had two days at 110F. I'm 60 now. If I've learned one thing, it is that the weather changes.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM

298 posts, read 413,759 times
Quote:
Because warm weather is what I like, among other reasons I like water sports and when it's cold you can't engage in them, especially around here where heated pools, for whatever reason, are rarer than a $3 bill (another post for another time). You see nothing to complain about, I see plenty, and so complain I will do. You like cold weather, well hurray for you. I hate it--it makes my hands stiff, I don't have appealing scenery of nice-looking women walking around in shorts & tank tops (arguably that's a GOOD thing in terms of not being distracted etc), I myself like shooting hoops wearing only shorts & shoes and feeling the sun on me and that doesn't work when it's cold, I don't like being covered head-to-toe in thick layers of clothing all the time, and I can't engage in water sports at all during such periods. If I liked cold weather I'd moved to Michigan, Montana or Alaska etc. I didn't, so I'd like the weather I came here for thank you very much.

I see you live in Dallas--well, if you hate hot weather, that's fine, but then, you choose to live in Dallas, where it's going to be hotter than blazes by June until September or so. If that doesn't appeal to you, there's the northern states. I moved here as a matter of PURPOSE because as much as I actually don't care for it being 97'F during the summer, I'll accept it as the trade-off for milder winters and spring-time getting warm pretty quickly, the latter of which we have been seriously ripped off on.

And that would be 5 days too many. Also we've had plenty of days where it's supposed to get up to about 78 and even if it got up to 70, well, that's 8 degrees shy of what it's SUPPOSED to do. If it would just be the normals every single day, no exceptions, there would be no problems. Again, to me, 78 doesn't mean 58 one day and 98 the next, it means 78 78 78 78 78 or, more reasonably, 74-82 etc. Come winter-time, when the normal is 55, I won't complain when it's cold, because it's the season for it. It's not the season for it anymore. Just be the seasons, else we might as well have Easter in November, Thanksgiving in April and Christmas in August.

And hey, I served my time during the winter, I didn't complain even if it got up only to 40 and got down to 25 at night, because hey, it was winter-time, any warm weather was out of the question. It's MY time now.

LRH
Ok, first of all, I never said that I like cold weather, I simply just can tolerate it. I also never said that I hate warm weather either. Living in Texas, I ought to like warm weather. I honestly don't have any preference in temperature, as long as it's below 100, I'm good. So, that makes your argument of me moving away from Dallas an invalid point.

Also, as many people have said before, there is a very vague definition of regular weather in Texas. You say that this isn't normal, well, to native Texans this is very normal. If you don't like it, the only thing I can say is move. Either do that, adapt, or just simply accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Unless you have corn in the ground. Then its panic time.

Agriculture relies on growing degree days and minimum temps to have growing plants. If its too cool, then plants do not grow.

The corn season is 4 weeks behind in most areas.
Hmm, didn't think about. Well, I guess that was ignorant on my part. Sorry.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,730,800 times
Quantifying the Solar Cycle 24 Temperature Decline | Watts Up With That?

Quote:
ith the temperature falling 5.2°C, the Corn Belt will shift 750 km south to the Sun Belt, as shown following:
One of the green squares in the Panhandle is where our farms are. We know for sure we have to replant one of them. If we get a frost in September, it will ruin that crop.

Headlines over solar cycle 25 and potential global cooling | Watts Up With That?

Premonitions of the Fall (in temperature) | Watts Up With That?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Also, as many people have said before, there is a very vague definition of regular weather in Texas. You say that this isn't normal, well, to native Texans this is very normal. If you don't like it, the only thing I can say is move. Either do that, adapt, or just simply accept it.
Oh please. This whole "if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes & it will change" is, from what I've heard, common just about anywhere, in fact many have said as much in here. I used to live in NC and I remember people saying it there--and yes, I didn't like it, and one of the reasons I left NC for AZ was, in fact, to escape that very thing. I spoke to someone on the phone from AZ by chance, and they told me AZ wasn't like that (this was in the days before the Internet was common) and so I dropped everything and moved largely for that one reason.

I ended up finding AZ to not be good enough in that respect either, its weather was better, especially in terms of not raining so much and it being sunny, but it too had schizophrenic tendencies in the spring as well, and sometimes other periods too. Once in Oct 2000 when the normals are around 80, for nearly half the month it was in the 50's. I was rightly livid about that. In winter 1998 we had triple the normal rainfall on account of El Nino, I was also livid about that, and of course the stupid locals thought it was just WONDERFUL, thinking it ought to ALWAYS rain that much, never mind that we were the desert and not stinking Seattle WA.

So it's not a Texas thing, it's just--to be blunt--a STUPID thing. I don't intend to move, I intend to STAY here and expect it to STOP, or at least wish it would. I shouldn't have to move to escape this evil tyranny, it should just stop because it's stupid. I don't care who likes it, it's STUPID. Besides, I moved to AZ to escape it, and still encountered it (although, again, in terms of it being sunny a lot and my allergies not acting up it was a lot better).

In a way it's funny that we're still discussing this, insomuch that this stupid cold snap looks like it is FINALLY over for good. I sure hope so.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
In the first place, to me, this area and ALL areas should stick closely to the averages, because frankly in my opinion--and to me, my opinion is the only thing that matters, not someone else's opinion or even the facts--to do otherwise is just downright mentally insane and sadistic. I just think that's how it ought to be. They're called NORMALS for a reason, so By George be normal. If that's being irrational and/or me thinking I'm God or being tantamount to having your head stuck in the sand, then so be it, but to me it's not the same as, say, living in Alaska & complaining about the cold or living in Arizona & complaining about the lack of greenery.

Besides, having such limited options is hardly a remedy. Florida is too rainy, hurricane-prone and has alligators in the lakes which you can't shoot to protect yourself, California has earthquakes and wildfires, both have a high cost of living. To me, there shouldn't be huge variations of temperature ANYWHERE on the entire planet pretty much. It certainly shouldn't be to where CA & FL are your only options. If there was somewhere where the norms were adhered to strictly, it didn't cost $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment and wasn't so crowded, and you didn't have things like a foot of rain a week seemingly or wildfires everytime you turned around as "gotchas," then I'd be fine.

At least if someone likes cold weather they have Michigan, Minnesota, upstate NY, Vermont, Montana, the Blue Ridge Parkway area, TONS of places. If you like warm weather there are tons of options. If you like it cloudy & rainy you have all of Washington & Oregon (not all of which is so costly to live in from what I've noticed), if you like it dry & sunny always there's AZ and NM and NV and probably others as well like, say western TX. Such is not the case with escaping huge temperature variations with regards to having lots of options.
Larry. I think I've hit upon your problem. You are confusing the two words "normal" and "average." They do NOT mean the same thing at all.

Normal temperatures encompass a range of temperatures, even though some of those temperatures fall to either extreme. They are still considered "normal" when they fall on those outer parameters.

Average temperatures are the AVERAGE OF A RANGE OF TEMPERATURES. We can experience an entire season where the AVERAGE temperature isn't the REAL temperature for more than a few minutes of each day.

Let's use the example of weight among 6th graders in a class in Texas. There is a normal healthy range of weight. Many of the kids will probably fall within that normal healthy range - but they may differ significantly in their actual weights - some kids may be wiry and skinny and weigh 67 pounds soaking wet, and another may be 5'6" and weigh 120 pounds - and both kids would fall within NORMAL AND HEALTHY RANGE.

If you averaged out the weights of all the kids in the class, you may find that the average weight is 99.5 pounds - and yet it's possible for not a single child in that class to actually weigh 99.5 pounds, even though that is the average weight.

Larry - this is the way of the world. Adjust accordingly or prepare to be frustrated and a bit frantic for the rest of your life!

Or I have a cool idea - you could move to Guam. Their daily temperatures are nearly always in the 80s. Their nightly temperatures are nearly always in the 70s. It rains, but just a little, nearly every day. It's sunny for part of nearly every day as well. They do get typhoons and they also have a monsoon season, but both of those types of events are very predictable.

In fact, everything's predictable in Guam - the entire island is only about 230 miles of land. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas