Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

What is the best tax deductible way to donate cash to help West, TX? I would like to hear peoples opinions.

The newspaper this morning said that:

Quote:
Authorities said Friday that charitable organizations have received more donations of food, clothing and other items than are needed in West and said that excess donations will be distributed to surrounding areas. They said for those still wishing to help., cash donations to the Red Cross or Central Texas or the Salvation Army would be welcome.
Donate Funds | Donations | Giving to American Red Cross

https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/texas/westexplosion

A web search turned this up.

Quote:
How can you help West, Texas? - Willie Nelson

How can you help West, Texas? April 20, 2013

Willie Nelson will be donating proceeds from his Birthday Concert on April 28th at The Backyard to West Volunteer Fire Department. Many people want to know how they can help.
  1. Donate to West Fire Department – mail donations to:
    West Fire Department, PO Box 97, West, Tx 76691
  2. Donate to the victims – PointWest Bank: POINTWEST Bank - Home Page
  3. Donate Blood – during the next few months schedule appointment to donate blood. Blood will be needed and it has a limited shelf life. Go to Donating Blood | American Red Cross for additional information and to find a location near you.
  4. Some items are needed but the out pooring has been above and beyond expectation. Please contact donation facilities for specific items needed at this time:
    Extraco Events Center (254) 776-1660
    First Baptist Church of Lott (254) 829-2321
    **packing materials are going to be needed when the families can enter their homes again
  5. Medical help for animals is needed:
    Happy Endings Animal Clinic 254-666-8240
    Brazos Valley Boarding Kennels 254-854-4104
    La Vega Vet Clinic 254-744-1948
Our hope is to also have collection bins around the concert to collect funds for the Fire Department. Additional details will be posted as it is gathered and verified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Just donated to the Red Cross for West and the One Fund for Boston.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM

I guess I will go with the Salvation Army as it appears only they and Red Cross can offer a tax deductible receipt.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Just a word of warning...I donated to three legitimate charities over the weekend, but one of those sites was hacked...I don't know which one...and my debit card number was stolen. Luckily my bank notified me immediately of a security breach and locked my account down tight. I got a new card this morning.

I don't know which site was hacked, but it could have been the Red Cross or OneFundBoston. I donated on both sites. I suppose these sites are currently attractive targets for data thieves because of the hugely increased traffic.

Careful out there y'all.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just a word of warning...I donated to three legitimate charities over the weekend, but one of those sites was hacked...I don't know which one...and my debit card number was stolen. Luckily my bank notified me immediately of a security breach and locked my account down tight. I got a new card this morning.

I don't know which site was hacked, but it could have been the Red Cross or OneFundBoston. I donated on both sites. I suppose these sites are currently attractive targets for data thieves because of the hugely increased traffic.

Careful out there y'all.

Hmmm, I guess I will mail them a check.

DONATE BY MAIL
Checks may be made out to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
P.O. BOX 36607
Dallas, TX 75235

Please designate
West, Texas Relief
on all checks.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Not a fan of donating to the Red Cross because they sometimes reallocate funds from one disaster to another. This blog article at dallasnews.com had some other ideas of places to donate.

West inundated with donations, relief group asks people to hold off on sending more stuff | The Scoop Blog

Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Careful out there y'all.
Wow, that's disturbing! I've donated to the Red Cross online many times over the past several years.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Wow, that's disturbing! I've donated to the Red Cross online many times over the past several years.
It is. I don't think it was the Red Cross's website, but you never know. Definitely don't use your debit card to donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas