Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown in Texas
Austin 36 21.95%
San Antonio 23 14.02%
Houston 30 18.29%
Dallas 59 35.98%
Fort Worth 16 9.76%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You just have to be talking about Dallas Georgia because Dallas Tx is the most modern city in the whole state of Tx.
Dallasboi, gimmie a break. You keep cracking me up... I thought you were better than this bro!

Dallas is not the most modern city in Texas. And your criteria saying that's because it is the most sleek looking downtown doesn't hold up in court. NYC and Chicago don't have all sleek, brand new Hong Kongish looking buildings either, but that doesn't mean they're not modern everyday cities.

Stop drinking the water up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You can differ all you want. Differ till you turn green, but you would still be wrong.
Dallas may seem more Reno, but Houston is still the newer looking one. Austin is blazing up that category too.
I don't know. I get a overall newish feeling in Dallas. Houston has a mix of old and new. That's part of what makes Houston seem like the city with the more character between the two. Dallas is plastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
I beg to differ....Yes Dallas has done well preserving old architecturally stellar buildings,but its still more crisp, sleek and modern out of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dallasboi, gimmie a break. You keep cracking me up... I thought you were better than this bro!

Dallas is not the most modern city in Texas. And your criteria saying that's because it is the most sleek looking downtown doesn't hold up in court. NYC and Chicago don't have all sleek, brand new Hong Kongish looking buildings either, but that doesn't mean they're not modern everyday cities.

Stop drinking the water up there!

I don't know. I get a overall newish feeling in Dallas. Houston has a mix of old and new. That's part of what makes Houston seem like the city with the more character between the two. Dallas is plastic.
Then what city is???....Please don't say Houston.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Quote:
Austin.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
I'm not going to say Dallas or Houston, since they each have certain things about them that the other doesn't. I think its fair to call it an even draw. DT Houston has been the most successful in landing new sports stadiums downtown and parks and Dallas has been most successful in light rail lines.

But when Houston's 2 other new rail lines that are currently under construction open up, what then? Dallas will still only have one sports stadium downtown. Houston will have an established theater district and will continue to add new office/apartment (s), and the newly improved Houston Pavilions/Green Street to add to the mix.

And Austin doesn't quite have enough amentities yet to compete with the big 2 in terms of being modern. It's on its way though!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Mothers day 3 or 4 years ago?

Look, I agree. DT Dallas used to suck, but in the last year it is unbelievable how much it has changed, and there are way more people walking around in DT Dallas than DTFW. I go to Main Street park all the time and it's always crowded. The Klyde Warren Park is packed 7 days a week during lunch time and in the early evening, and nightlife is much busier than it use to be and a couple of new places have recently opened. DT Dallas still doesn't match Uptown in nightlife, but it is better than DTFW.

3 amazing DT events you probably missed:
Homegrown Music and Art Festival - Part 2 - You + Dallas
Deep Ellum Arts Festival 2011 - You + Dallas
City Lights 2012 // Downtown Dallas on Vimeo

Dallas based chains off the top of my head:
DTFW
Mi Cocina*
Bob's Steak & Chop House
Hyena's Comedy Club
Texas De Brazil
Daddy Jack's
Jake's Hamburgers
Piranha Killer Sushi (Arlington)

West 7th
Glorias's
Luke's Locker
Patrizio's (Highland Park)
Till man's Roadhouse
Fireside Pies
Sushi Axium

Fort Worth has 2 amazing restaurants outside of it's DT if you can afford to splurge(worth it). Tim Love's: Lonesome Dove Western Bistro is amazing and one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, but I haven't tried his other restaurants. Bonnell's tops Lonesome Dove, and every ingredient is from Texas!

Back to Downtown talk, The Bass Hall is beautiful. I think it's convenient to have small walkable blocks with free garage parking. I also like that dinner, movie, and nightlife can all be done in one area. Plenty of surface parking too.

I think many people appreciate Fort Worth's quintessential "main street America" vibe. The historic buildings, and the brick roads make Fort Worth feel like a city *stuck in time (in many ways it actually is). Fort Worth feels familiar, comfortable, safe, family-friendly, and it offers food the masses like.

However, I find that boring and unoriginal. It doesn't have that downtown x-factor, which gives a city an urban edgy vibe that I want. A little more diversity wouldn't hurt either...

There are only a handful of non-chain businesses worth going to in DTFW. I try to avoid large national chains; why even bother when I can microwave at home? I have to go to Fort Worth a lot. I have a few friends that live out there, and I wish there were better(affordable) options. I would never go to Fort Worth if my friends didn't live there. Just kinda boring after many visits.

^THIS

DTFW has done a great job, but doesn't offer the same level amenities.
And this entire post goes back to that "yeah, but..." I was talking about...

Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm not going to say Dallas or Houston, since they each have certain things about them that the other doesn't. I think its fair to call it an even draw. DT Houston has been the most successful in landing new sports stadiums downtown and parks and Dallas has been most successful in light rail lines.

But when Houston's 2 other new rail lines that are currently under construction open up, what then? Dallas will still only have one sports stadium downtown. Houston will have an established theater district and will continue to add new office/apartment (s), and the newly improved Houston Pavilions/Green Street to add to the mix.

And Austin doesn't quite have enough amentities yet to compete with the big 2 in terms of being modern. It's on its way though!
Dallas will too.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM

298 posts, read 416,436 times
Quote:
Look...I always give ft.Worth its props. Just because I think Dt Dallas is better is not taking anything from you guys. The problem is that you guys are soooo used to people saying that DTFW is the bestest thing in Texas and when someone actually compares the two and disagree...it tends to rub yall the wrong way. As Ive said before...DTFTW is more vibrant than DTD...the buck stops there.

And as for you JKAddict(newbie) I always accept the flaws of my city...cant help it when every other metro in the state looooves pointing them out. Please do not make it seem like im picking on Ft.Worth because I'm not. Im just stating the obvious.
Honestly, based on your past posts, you seem very arrogant. Also, no, you are not stating the obvious. If you would be, most people would be agreeing with you,but as you can see some aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Mothers day 3 or 4 years ago?

Look, I agree. DT Dallas used to suck, but in the last year it is unbelievable how much it has changed, and there are way more people walking around in DT Dallas than DTFW. I go to Main Street park all the time and it's always crowded. The Klyde Warren Park is packed 7 days a week during lunch time and in the early evening, and nightlife is much busier than it use to be and a couple of new places have recently opened. DT Dallas still doesn't match Uptown in nightlife, but it is better than DTFW.

3 amazing DT events you probably missed:
Homegrown Music and Art Festival - Part 2 - You + Dallas
Deep Ellum Arts Festival 2011 - You + Dallas
City Lights 2012 // Downtown Dallas on Vimeo
First no, it was last week. Secondly, yes, DTDallas has improved heavily over the years, I've already said that. Yes, DTD does have better nightlife, but DTFW has better density, walkibility, and vibrancy, which are three of the five categories the OP stated. Also, 2 of the 3 vids you posted aren't even in downtown.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Honestly, based on your past posts, you seem very arrogant. Also, no, you are not stating the obvious. If you would be, most people would be agreeing with you,but as you can see some aren't.

First no, it was last week. Secondly, yes, DTDallas has improved heavily over the years, I've already said that. Yes, DTD does have better nightlife, but DTFW has better density, walkibility, and vibrancy, which are three of the five categories the OP stated. Also, 2 of the 3 vids you posted aren't even in downtown.
How does Ft.Worth have better density?....(grabbing popcorn)

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Lol wow! For someone who's been to DT Dallas, you should easily be able to identify Main Street Park. The Christmas video was filmed on Main St., and goes by several iconic Dallas Landmarks, The Mercantile, The Origal Flagship Neiman Marcus, and ends in Main street Park, with the lighting of the tree and fire works. The Home grown Music Festival also took Place at Main Street Park right in the heart of DT Dallas. Historically, Deep Ellum was a part of downtown. It's street grid is exactly the same as DT Dallas and the streets are all the same name. You can literally throw a rock into downtown. That's one of Dallas's big assets, you can actually walk from DT to another vibrant neighborhood, and our city is only going to get more pedestrian friendly as critical mass continues to rise! The extended McKinney Ave Trolley line, and the Bishop Arts district Streetcar Line will make DTD more accessible and connected.

You must have also missed so much revitalization, and must have overlooked all the new permanent DTD residents.

Recently completed DTD residential construction:
Residential Units under construction or coming soon to DTD:
It's shocking how little locals know about Dallas.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-17-2013 at 11:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 12:35 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
I love Dallas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas