Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Screw Obama man.

He is a lame duck president anyways.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I guess it was off the record?
You misread justme badly. In that quote, he never claimed that homosexuality is a choice (because it obviously isn't no matter how many times you try to lie to yourself).

Instead, he states that it is a choice to act on it - to try to find love and be happy, or, rather, to never find love and be miserable, which is seemingly your preferred course of action. To purposefully and willingly spread misery.

It is the same choice that straight people make - to actively seek out love and someone to share their lives with, or to not. But in no situation can a person, straight or gay, simply decide to switch their orientation. That simply cannot happen, as it is not a choice. (Now there are some genuinely bisexual people, but that's another topic.)

Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
When you get right down to it, it really doesn't matter how I feel about all of this. It's going in a certain direction, and I have little doubt that it will continue to do so.

There are just certain things that I consider not normal, and would prefer not to see, but that's beside the point. I'll just choose to ignore most of it to the extent that I can.

I don't consider a 300 lb person normal but I don't try and keep them from eating.

I don't consider having children born to parents who can't afford them nromal, but I'm not advocated for a law to make that illegal.

So maybe if you had a better argument then "it just isn't normal" it might change someone's mind.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I don't consider a 300 lb person normal but I don't try and keep them from eating.

I don't consider having children born to parents who can't afford them nromal, but I'm not advocated for a law to make that illegal.

So maybe if you had a better argument then "it just isn't normal" it might change someone's mind.
This is a complete deflection and contains ridiculously false analogies. No one is saying homosexuals should not be able to engage in their sexual habits if they so chose, nor be subject to deliberate persecution and denial of basic civil rights as defined by the Bill of Rights. And far as that goes, most of us have no problem with civil unions. I know I don't. Far as that goes, hell...I don't care if some states want to legalize homosexual marriage. I just don't want my own to be forced to recognize it. That is my reason for supporting DOMA.

Anyway, what is being said by some of us is that certain social institutions (such as marriage, in this case) are sacrosanct and exist because they have evolved naturally and from a premise that is intrinsic to nature itself. That is, the male and female; which is the only capable of reproducing the species. Which, really is the primary reason the sexual instinct exists at all. Nothing will ever change that.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a complete deflection and contains ridiculously false analogies. No one is saying homosexuals should not be able to engage in their sexual habits if they so chose, nor be subject to deliberate persecution and denial of basic civil rights as defined by the Bill of Rights. And far as that goes, most of us have no problem with civil unions. I know I don't. Far as that goes, hell...I don't care if some states want to legalize homosexual marriage. I just don't want my own to be forced to recognize it. That is my reason for supporting DOMA.

Anyway, what is being said by some of us is that certain social institutions (such as marriage, in this case) are sacrosanct and exist because they have evolved naturally and from a premise that is intrinsic to nature itself. That is, the male and female; which is the only capable of reproducing the species. Which, really is the primary reason the sexual instinct exists at all. Nothing will ever change that.

Sorry but I wasn't talking about marriage at all only pointing out a ridiculous argument.

Last edited by rynetwo; 05-22-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
You misread justme badly. In that quote, he never claimed that homosexuality is a choice (because it obviously isn't no matter how many times you try to lie to yourself).

Instead, he states that it is a choice to act on it - to try to find love and be happy, or, rather, to never find love and be miserable, which is seemingly your preferred course of action. To purposefully and willingly spread misery.

It is the same choice that straight people make - to actively seek out love and someone to share their lives with, or to not. But in no situation can a person, straight or gay, simply decide to switch their orientation. That simply cannot happen, as it is not a choice. (Now there are some genuinely bisexual people, but that's another topic.)
It's a choice BUT WAIT, it's not a choice. Sounds like spin.
Misery is an odd thing. Some people wear it for the world to see it's their crowning achievement in life.
It gives them license to hurt others. To separate them from it makes them feel their not unique, or special anymore. Others face it and find peace with a desire to turn over a new leaf on life.
It still comes back to a choice.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

50 posts, read 44,657 times
How in the world did this thread get from Obama being in Texas to promote his agenda to whether or not being gay is a choice or genetic?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Oh, because Obama's agenda is the notorious gay agenda, I guess. My own gay agenda today has thus far included mowing the lawn, cutting some low branches off a trash tree, trying to do a little weeding in the beds, posting some stuff on Facebook(some of it was gay - today is Harvey Milk day - having a bit of lunch, reading Turkeytrot's recalcitrant posts, and generally all that other gay agenda stuff.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM

216 posts, read 444,386 times
Turkeytrot, you have not tried to state one shred of evidence that being gay is a choice other than because "you said so." You truly have your head in the West Texas sand and are not worth arguing with.

Fortunately, people with your stance on same-sex marriage are a shrinking minority. States that don't recognize same-sex marriage are falling like dominoes and DOMA will soon be outlawed as the unconstitutional law that it is. The overwhelming majority of young people in this country are for legalizing gay marriage, and at this point it's an inevitability. Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Gay marriage won't matter that much in hind site if our economic system collapses.[/quote]

This is my feeling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas