Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,608,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Gay Rights and Gun Rights are the same in my book.

A man should be able to carry and shoot his gun where ever he wants..

Personally, I have little use for the position that anyone can do anything they want except for certain things you do not like. I see the same attitude from the New York "Ban-Burg" Puritans and the "Church Lady" Christians. All of this is based on ignorance. They never get out of that endless loop of blame and ban.
Well, shooting guns wherever you want to me be a stretch. I cant imagine you could just pop a cap at Chillis or at church. I think maybe a better way of saying it would be that people should be able to carry their handguns with them anywhere with proper documentation.

My only issue is at schools. I know there was something on the ballot recently where college students can carry guns in class. There sure are a lot of hormones running through those kids and they can make impulse decisions that are bad. Im not sure how I feel about it. I dont see a problem with trained armed guards at schools though.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Actually, you should read my post. I said that it is the most important problem facing this nation (when it affects you personally), as it does me, so it is a very important issue to me. It doesn't affect you personally apparently, as you appear to be very anti-gay, so you should focus on what does affect you. And you should not attempt to realize what others think, as you appear to be doing. It really makes you look like a small-minded fool.
Getting a little touchy here, hmmm?

Actually I did read your post. I beg to differ this is NOT the most important issue facing our nation regardless of WHO it affects personally. I would hate to think I could be so selfish as to take a personal cause of mine and upgrade it to be the MOST important issue facing America today simply because it affected me personally.

I don't attempt to "realize what others think", I go by what they say.

BTW Your petty name calling makes you look immature, which perhaps you are and if so, that would explain a lot.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:06 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,011,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Actually I did read your post. I beg to differ this is NOT the most important issue facing our nation regardless of WHO it affects personally. I would hate to think I could be so selfish as to take a personal cause of mine and upgrade it to be the MOST important issue facing America today simply because it affected me personally.
Exactly.

No wonder this country is in the mess it is today....

Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Exactly.

What do you think the most pressing issues are? It isn't the economy anymore.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM

958 posts, read 2,126,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
For the record, I dont want Texas to be a blue state. I would never want Texas to adopt many of the economic and over protective measures that California has. What I would love, however, is for Texas to be a purple state or at least more moderate on social issues.

You have to expect this sort of thing with the urban areas in Texas. 55% of DFW and Houston werent even born in Texas and for Austin that percentage is higher. Its not that we want to re-create where we came from nor is it that we dont change somewhat, but that doesnt mean that just because I move to Texas I have to look and act like everyone else. Texas is too diverse for that.

Maybe its a city vs. rural thing. As I said, most people I know in the Dallas area (regardless of being red or blue) actually see eye to eye with me on most social issues. I didnt go looking for them, that just seems to be more of the midset at least here.

It's not "a city vs. rural thing" while I'll not speak for every resident in west Texas there is an awareness of "city" issues.
I lived in San Antonio and the metroplex nearly thirty years total. I have family living in and around Dallas, in fact I moved from Grand Prairie out here after twenty four years there. I have a cousin living in Oak Lawn that stopped coming around the family because it helps his "cause" to say he's been ostracized by his family. He wanted it that way, nobody confronted him about being gay it was his idea. So much for the gay agenda.

I know change comes some good and some not. While the politically correct corrupt a way of life that is fast disappearing in this nation not just Texas I mourn for the future.
We are no longer as free as we were just fifty years ago. Strong arm tactics are used by employers on employees to deny their personal beliefs or be fired.
I'm well aware there are those from Texas that want your kind of social change or have been fooled into thinking liberalism is ok in small doses. As much as I would like Texas to remain a red state it will, in time turn into something ugly like California.
So you weren't really honest when you said you didn't want to change Texas. Corrupt change always begins with a lie.

A good friend of mine, a disabled WWII veteran once lamented, "is today's America what we fought and died for?"

Old 05-11-2013, 02:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,791,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Exactly.

Boy, you got that right. Most self-centered bunch I have ever seen.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Personally, gay rights is my number one political issue. It trumps everything else for me. When the republicans in Texas can at least agree on legal equality, I can consider voting for them. Until then, no republican in Texas will get my vote even though I think they are more economically sound. Heck, in California, I used to vote for republicans all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Actually it is the most important problem facing the Union, when it affects you personally, as it does for me, and many millions more in this state and country. Apparently it doesn't affect you personally so maybe you should focus on other issues that affect you rather than talking down to those that you disagree with.
If true, I think this is quite selfish and sad. It's tunnel vision and self-centeredness to a point of the loss of common sense IMO.

Gay rights (basically, wanting marriage) is something that may affect 2-3% of the population. Fiscal issues, spending, jobs, national security, radicalism/terrorism, and other issues today have the ability to affect almost anyone and the country in general in a huge, huge way.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
What do you think the most pressing issues are? It isn't the economy anymore.
Jobs, spending/money printing, government corruption and waste, security (especially online/banks/overseas hackers) and mental health issues to name just a few. And these are largely bi-partisan issues.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Boy, you got that right. Most self-centered bunch I have ever seen.
Yeah, how dare those people think they're equal to us and how dare they desire equality???

By the way, the percentage of people who are gay is 6% not 2-3%.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,791,311 times
Quote:
Yeah, how dare those people think they're equal to us and how dare they desire equality???

By the way, the percentage of people who are gay is 6% not 2-3%.
I never quoted what percentage of the population is gay--I have no idea what the actual number is, don't care. I just know that they are a very small percentage.

All they have to do is have a will drawn up, specifying everything.

Wanting "marriage" per se is ludicrous--it's not the same as traditional marriage, for VERY obvious reasons, and it should NOT be treated as such, ever. It's NOT equal. Period. If it is so dammed important to those involved, draw up a will and quit whining.

There are far more important issues affecting the population as a whole that should be addressed, without having BO come to this state to shove his agenda down our throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas