Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,443,992 times

Advertisements

Senate bill would do away with vehicle inspection stickers | www.mystatesman.com

Quote:
Plan would switch Texas to a single-sticker system, require diesel vehicle inspections
Dang, kind of sucks. I will admit that I went to some mom and pop shops to get my car inspected because I have darker than legal tint. I wonder if they will somehow crack down on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,167,668 times
Worries me that they may try to sneak in something like the fiasco from years ago to have state run inspection stations. Eliminating the mom and pop shops, giving the state more direct control.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,223,436 times
One has to wonder how many people have ever died in accidents caused by automobile mechanical failures. I've been a licensed driver for 50 years and never had even a fender bender accident caused by a mechanical failure.

This doesn't sound like less government but more especially if the vehicle now has to be inspected by a government official instead of contracted mom & pop stations. That will make a trip to the DMV even more fun than it is now.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,937,569 times
Wouldn't surprised me if we had to start having state officials inspect our cars.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The politicians in this state are only for "less government" when it comes to things that aren't going to put more money in their pockets.
I agree. You definitely need a lot of nickels and dimes to live in Texas anymore.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Worries me that they may try to sneak in something like the fiasco from years ago to have state run inspection stations. Eliminating the mom and pop shops, giving the state more direct control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
One has to wonder how many people have ever died in accidents caused by automobile mechanical failures. I've been a licensed driver for 50 years and never had even a fender bender accident caused by a mechanical failure.

This doesn't sound like less government but more especially if the vehicle now has to be inspected by a government official instead of contracted mom & pop stations. That will make a trip to the DMV even more fun than it is now.
I agree, I think this will cut out a lot of business for the mom and pop shops, especially if we can only go to the DMV to get an inspection done.

Not only that, but I will bet that the cost will go up a bit if it is to be inspected by a government official.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM

One notes that this is a Democratic State senator who is saying this will result in less government.

Except for the likely increased costs, this probably would not so much affect people who live in small towns who have only to go to the courthouse but I wouldn't plan to only take a morning off from work for car registration in places like Houston or Dallas. Walt Disney couldn't even manage the crowd lines.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
One notes that this is a Democratic State senator who is saying this will result in less government.

Except for the likely increased costs, this probably would not so much affect people who live in small towns who have only to go to the courthouse but I wouldn't plan to only take a morning off from work for car registration in places like Houston or Dallas. Walt Disney couldn't even manage the crowd lines.
The image in my head of the possible future lines at the DMV really frightens me, especially when lunch time rolls around, they may just up and leave you in the middle of a transaction for their lunch time.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
I agree. You definitely need a lot of nickels and dimes to live in Texas anymore.
You can thank Rick Perry and half a million Californians for that.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 PM

This appears to be the age old partisan argument about contracting out. However, equating less regulatory stickers on your windshield to less government where the same amount of regulation is required to get you there, is simply dishonesty.

It is funny how most DMVs, MVDs, BMVs or whatever acronym they use, are so similar. A co-worker and I used to joke that they send all their employees to the same unknown school somewhere in the country. There they chain them, starve them and beat them to make them into junkyard dogs, then they make them successfully argue with a fence post in order to graduate. Unfortunate for DMV workers is that they have to interpret the mishmash of insanity that comes out of the state capitals.

From my experience, Maryland's MVD was definitely the worse I had ever experienced although I also lived in Louisiana for a few years. New Mexico, even at Albuquerque, I found to be the best all around. I think with state motor vehicle divisions, everyone's experiences tend to vary greatly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: