Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM

673 posts, read 3,083,816 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there any good spots I haven't been to in Texas where I go for less expensive in-state vacation. I would like to spend say 5 days there in and do prefer scenic spots!

Here where I have ALREADY been to in Texas:
-DFW area (live there!)
-Houston
-Galveston area / beach
-Austin
-San Antonio River walk / Alamo / Etc
-Corpus Christi / padre island beaches

Anyone got some other suggestions of cool place check out in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Hill Country: Fredericksburg, Bandera, Marble Falls, etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,916,129 times
The GRUENE TEXAS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Take this scenic drive through the hill country from Austin to Gruene, Tx located on a hill above the Guadalupe River, just outside of New Braunfels, TX.
Oak Hil to Grune, TX - Google Maps
We often take out of town guests on this drive because it shows of some of the nicest parts of the Texas hill country.

Spend the night in the Gruene Mansion Inn, Bed & Breakfast. Gruene Mansion Inn

Have dinner next door at the Grist Mill Restaurant The Gristmill River Restaurant & Bar in Gruene Historic District There are also several other great restaurants within walking distance.

Go dancing at the Gruene Hall Official Home Page next door, or just have a few drinks and listen to the live music.

Go shopping at the many unique old stores and shops along the main street in the Gruene, Texas Historic District. Gruene Texas

The Grapevine in Gruene offers free wine tastings The Grapevine in Gruene Historic District Also there are several vineyards along the way vineyards near wimberley, tx - Google Maps
Part of that scenic drive described above follows the River Road along the Guadalulpe River. It is very scenic itself and a great place to go tubing along the river. There are numerous tubing outfitters that will provide the tubes and pick up services after you have floated downstream.

WIMBERLEY, TEXAS:

That drive described above also passes through Wimberley, TX, which is not far from Gruene and has Market Days the first Saturday of the month March-December. The Market is a huge area full of little arts & crafts and other unusual shops of every description, in a grove of oak trees. It is a lot of fun to visit and wander around. Market Days - Wimberley, Texas - Lions Club - Visit our Outdoor Market in Wimberley

The Gumberts Cypress Acres Ranch Gumbert's Cypress Acres Ranch is a fun place to stay just outside of Wimberley and can be reasonably priced if you go with a group or family and share a cabin. http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...res-ranch.html

More photos of the ranch here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gumbe...77903942295719

Blue Hole, a Texas Treasure, Wimberley, Texas at Wimberley is another unique Texas swimming hole that is worth a visit.

More photos here The Greenstone Guide to Austin & The Texas Hill Country: Wimberley - Blue Hole

Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,236,765 times
Yep Hill Country - Fredericksburg, Wimberley, Gruene, Boerne is suburban but still fun, etc...

Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM

346 posts, read 643,701 times
There's the Big Bend region - Alpine and Marfa. To be honest, Marfa has received a lot of hype as an arts and cultural center, but it can be a little quiet and boring for children or teens. But the region has great mountain and desert scenery, and it's elevations make for cool evenings when the rest of Texas is baking.

Also, while not entirely in Texas, a drive through Guadalupe Mountains to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico (maybe ending in the high alpine country of Ruidoso or Cloudcroft in southeastern New Mexico) is a good roadtrip.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM

578 posts, read 1,223,643 times
Big Bend/West Texas. Lots of places to see, and if you like camping... very inexpensive.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,047,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I am wondering if there any good spots I haven't been to in Texas where I go for less expensive in-state vacation. I would like to spend say 5 days there in and do prefer scenic spots!

Here where I have ALREADY been to in Texas:
-DFW area (live there!)
-Houston
-Galveston area / beach
-Austin
-San Antonio River walk / Alamo / Etc
-Corpus Christi / padre island beaches

Anyone got some other suggestions of cool place check out in Texas?
When?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Frio River area and Garner State Park south of San Antonio. Have fun!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,974,020 times
And while you're out in the Big Bend region, don't miss Terlingua!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,185,154 times
Texas Travel Guide, you can even download a PDF to your desktop.

It's like a whole 'nuther country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas