Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM

25 posts, read 36,157 times

Advertisements

Post, Texas - named after C.W. Post, of Post Cereals, who established the city as a modelled utopia. Post built most of the original buildings in town such as hotels, cotton gins, and churches.

China Spring, Texas - named after a grove of chinaberry trees that grew up around a spring that was a stop on the Chisolm Trail. There is only one spring, therefore it should not be called China Springs (the locals will call you out). Great school district just outside of Waco.

I like to know the history of some of these towns and how they got their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,602,594 times
Worst...MART! I have called it Fart since I was in high school, and if you have ever been there, you'd know why.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,235,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balconesfault View Post
I like to know the history of some of these towns and how they got their name.
That would be an interesting thread. Start one. I'll participate.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM

146 posts, read 507,508 times
What about Oatmeal or Big foot texas

Also Bruceville-eddy
Lacy-lakeview
Little river academy

Elmendorf
Poth
George West
Skidmore
Anahuac

Wow what names

I Also like
Rockport
Portland
Port Arthur

Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times
Aren't Bruceville ane Eddy separate towns with the same highway exit? Ditto Lacy and Lakeview. I may be mistaken -- I've only ever driven by the highway signs. In fact, I thought Bruceville was on one side of I-35 and Eddy was on the opposite side, but my memory may not be accurate.

I like the names Cranfill's Gap, and Norse, both in Bosque County. Cranfill's Gap is a real little town but very much off any main road. Norse is pretty much just the Lutheran church there. Both are in the heart of the Norwegian settlement area.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM

346 posts, read 642,271 times
Poteet has always made me chuckle.
Edcouch (as one word) in the Valley has always looked wrong.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,421,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
Poteet has always made me chuckle.
Me too! But I like the name for some reason. Sounds made up by an author or movie producer about small town Texas or something.

I agree with those who say anything from Spanish, I like that about the Southwest in general. Those names sound very historical.

A poster mention disliking the name Brownwood, agreed.

SO and I spend a lot of time up in the Pottsboro area. Love the little town and the people, but I don't care for the name. Then there's the tiny town surrounded by Pottsboro, Fink. Of course it's named for a person, but it sounds wrong.

Thinking about our trips up to Texoma, drives me nuts that Celina is pronounced with a long I. Prosper sounds optimistic. Gunter, eh.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,786,336 times
The absolute worst name in the entire state has to be DISH, Texas. That's right, all caps. The town of Clark in Denton County voted to change their name for corporate sponsorship and free satellite TV. Crass.....

Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,913,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
So many of the towns in south Texas are named for people--Edcouch & its "twin city" Elsa (generally called Edcouch-Elsa), Donna, Alice, Mercedes, George West, Sarita, McAllen, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,081,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Aren't Bruceville ane Eddy separate towns with the same highway exit? Ditto Lacy and Lakeview. I may be mistaken -- I've only ever driven by the highway signs. In fact, I thought Bruceville was on one side of I-35 and Eddy was on the opposite side, but my memory may not be accurate.
Bruceville and Eddy were originally separate towns located approximately two miles apart. In 1974, both communities were united and incorporated as the city of Bruceville-Eddy. Most of the city is located west of I-35.

Lacy and Lakeview were also separate towns that merged in 1953 to create the city of Lacy Lakeview. Another city, Northcrest, was absorbed into Lacy Lakeview in 1998.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas