Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

This statement is used several times in the legislation: "if the cost to the state and quality are equal".

Well, now, how do you define quality? Will there have to be a quality commission to determine such things? It is not always immediately evident what is better (or same) quality, so will there be lawsuits by disabled vets that lost out to a non-vet on due to a determination of 'quality'? And 'cost to the state' - say I am an out of state manufacturer and am creating a comparison of 'cost to the state' for my product compared to an identical in-state product. Can I legitimately subtract out the tax subsidies that were paid to an in-state rival? I.e., is my cost less because the state of TX did not have to subsidize my taxes? Because, of course, any legislation like this is just screaming for more lawyers...

Finally, say a product from China (since we all know this is aimed at China) losses out even though the price and quality are identical. I could see how China may decide to return the favor and deny the purchasing of Texas products via some World Trade circumventing rule similar to this. Rice is a big export to China from Texas (odd, but true), just to name the one product that comes to mind first. Do you think Dow Chemical or Formosa really want their Chinese exports torpedoed? Or other states want their exports harmed (since I doubt foreign countries really differentiate between the U.S and TX).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Even after my post, still I can't find one substantial charge against Perry. Some people need to remember the old adage, "the government that governs best governs least." This is what I believe makes our present government in Texas so good. It governs as much as is needed without activist programs, big programs, more bureaucracy. That is get out of the way, and let business do business and let people live their lives, without regulating the size of soda we can drink. Yes Perry goes out and promotes Texas. So what. Lots of states are doing it, California has adds, as does New York. Wisconsin used to have billboards on the freeway between Ill and Wis. encouraging visitors from Ill. to move their business to Wisconsin. Michigan has been doing this also of late. So why is Perry attacked when he does the same thing?
What does your post have to do with the Buy American bill?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
Remember, it is very important for politicians to try and keep the population as dumb and divided as it can, while of course fiercely denying any wrong doing. It is easier for politicians to slowly carve away a larger piece for themselves, while ensuring the rest get a good helping of crap.
+rep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas