Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,457,002 times

Advertisements

That's great! Any idea of their names or phone numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Try. [url]www.andaluciaapartmenthomes.com[/url] I live here with my cat. Its in Odessa, they are brand new and more units here are still under construction and look like they are ready to open any day now. I see license plates from all over the US here. Its in a brand new part of town far away from any dangerous areas. I work in Midland its only a 15 min commute for me.

Last edited by WTtraveler07; 07-24-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
Midland/Odessa get a bad rap. Lots of things are blown out of proportion. Housing isn't near as bad as people make it seem. You can put your name on a list today and be in a brand new house by January for around 240,000. You can easily find a house that is already built sooner than that if you actually talk to some realtors. The problem is more about housing prices going up. The sooner you get here and buy one the better.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,457,002 times
I'm just looking to rent something clean and quiet...it's just me a a couple of older cats. I plan to be working a lot and will have no need for owning and keeping up a house...not initially anyway. renting for a year or two is fine and preferable for me.

I don't need pools, gyms internet or TV.

A laundry on site or even better W/D in the unit is the only amenity I need.

While On the issue of apartments...is carpeting or hard surfaces more popular there?

I prefer hard surfaces....the cats are good with carpet but I tend to be hard on it! LOL
I prefer tile, linoleum or that heavy commercial vinyl tile to carpeting.

So is the apartment crunch blown out of proportion too?

What is typical there for apartments:

Deposit?
First/last rent?
Pet Deposits?
Pet rent?
Electric?
Water?
Gas?
Trash
Trash?
Any other fees?

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks! LOL I was on craigslist looking and actually found that place before I checked your link! I recognized it immediately. I don't need anything that nice but If that's what's available It would certainly do.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM

587 posts, read 955,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Ector County Apartments for Rent - Apartments in Ector County TX

That link seems to have most of them. Ector county is Odessa but I noticed that apartments in Midland and Midland county are listed there as well.

I love this photo.

Definitely not what people think of when they hear Odessa.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 14,209 times
I moved To Odessa in the first week of June 2013 from Charlotte NC. I have lived a number of places in the eastern half of the US both north and south and never been anywhere that the people were nicer than here! And never felt safer either. I am renting in a working class neighborhood in west(ish) Odessa near the intersection of County Rd West and University Ave.

Housing is still really tight from what I can tell. I am in an older 3/2 that is functional but not at all fancy - ie, it is clean and dry but the cabinet doors in the kitchen don't all want to stay closed. The rent is $1650 and if I thought I could do better, I would look. My friend just scouted a brand new 3/2 apartment and it is going for $2100. However, other than housing, the cost of living is very comparable to where I was in NC - food, gas, utilities and all are reasonable for the south. It is hard to hunt online for housing as the realtors and all are busy selling and renting rather than updating websites. I was really glad that my new job also provided the house where I live!

The weather this year has been moderate for the area. Plenty of 100+ days but also much more rain than usual. And I don't mind the heat with the lower humidity (keep in mind that I grew up in Florida). 100 here is more comfortable than 85 in Charlotte. But it will be HOT to anyone moving from north. And it is dry and windy and dusty. And flat.

Even more than most moves, a move to west Texas requires looking on the bright side - attitude is everything. I wanted to move here and decided ahead of time that I would like it. And it has been much easier than I expected. I love it here.

I personally see less racism and intolerance of all kinds than any other place I have ever lived. Like many posters have noted, west Texans just want to know what you can and will do. They don't care all that much about what color your skin is or how you are dressed. I was told that before I came and it has been my experience so far.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Girl friend, it's good to hear the move has worked well for you. Nice to hear the folks are treating you well and you landed with suitable shelter.

Welcome to Texas...

Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,934,044 times
Yes we are having a mild summer compared to some that I have been through here.I cant speak from experience about housing because Ive been living in the same upscale neighborhood for 2 decades now but I hear its pretty tight.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 14,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Girl friend, it's good to hear the move has worked well for you. Nice to hear the folks are treating you well and you landed with suitable shelter.

Welcome to Texas...
Well thank ye kindly. I was actually born in Corpus Christi due to my dad being a Navy pilot and I sometimes tell folks that I am making like a salmon. One thing I really love about Texas is that no one seems to mind someone deciding to adopt themselves in. I can easily see myself being a Texan the rest of my natural born days though I may need to settle eventually a little closer to a coast. I got to take a few days over in Port Aransas and completely fell in love with Texas beaches.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,934,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlfromNC View Post
Well thank ye kindly. I was actually born in Corpus Christi due to my dad being a Navy pilot and I sometimes tell folks that I am making like a salmon. One thing I really love about Texas is that no one seems to mind someone deciding to adopt themselves in. I can easily see myself being a Texan the rest of my natural born days though I may need to settle eventually a little closer to a coast. I got to take a few days over in Port Aransas and completely fell in love with Texas beaches.
Port A is nice.I was there in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas