Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,260,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A gospel rendition would probably be nice. But a mariachi costume is a little different than what you described. One is traditional cultural attire and the other is just low class.
So says you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM

288 posts, read 430,228 times
I think you're going off topic. But other than urban culture, since when does saggy jeans and Nikes equate to a cultural identity associated with a region. Such as Mexico and the mariachi? In turn extending to Tejano identity?

Saggy jeans and Nikes could also be the attire of a skater in the suburbs, who sings a rock rendition of the NA. Doesnt have to be Tyrone.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,895,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So says you.
Nope - sagging pants is low class. Doesn't matter who it is either. I've seen blacks, whites, Hispanics and even some Asians sag. It's low class regardless of who does it. That even applies to the girls with the whale tails. No one is interested in seeing other peoples' butt cracks in public.

The real question is what does it say about a group of people if they consider sagging pants to be "cultural attire".

Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I think you're going off topic. But other than urban culture, since when does saggy jeans and Nikes equate to a cultural identity associated with a region. Such as Mexico and the mariachi? In turn extending to Tejano identity?

Saggy jeans and Nikes could also be the attire of a skater in the suburbs, who sings a rock rendition of the NA. Doesnt have to be Tyrone.
Hip-hop is a culture of its own, with roots in a specific ethnic group, whether people choose to recognize it or not. That skater in the burbs borrowed that style of dress from that culture.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Nope - sagging pants is low class. Doesn't matter who it is either. I've seen blacks, whites, Hispanics and even some Asians sag. It's low class regardless of who does it. That even applies to the girls with the whale tails. No one is interested in seeing other peoples' butt cracks in public.

The real question is what does it say about a group of people if they consider sagging pants to be "cultural attire".
All sagging doesn't reveal underwear or someone's backside, so there's the hole in your logic right there. But you get to deem it as "low class" simply because it's something you can't relate to. I do believe there's a term for that...

The funny thing is, as adamant as you are about a certain style of dress being unacceptable, there's a whole parade of people who feel just as strongly about De La Cruz's costume. What's stopping them from claiming he's just a lazy, low-class, illegal, with possible drug ties, based on what he's wearing?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
All sagging doesn't reveal underwear or someone's backside, so there's the hole in your logic right there. But you get to deem it as "low class" simply because it's something you can't relate to. I do believe there's a term for that...

The funny thing is, as adamant as you are about a certain style of dress being unacceptable, there's a whole parade of people who feel just as strongly about De La Cruz's costume. What's stopping them from claiming he's just a lazy, low-class, illegal, with possible drug ties, based on what he's wearing?
Because it isnt. Its associated with Mexcio's music and heritage, thus many Mexican American identities. The same way the kilts have been presented by the Irish Americans.

Not something you see in some random hood while someone is standing in front of a corner. I'm a huge fan of rap and hip hop. But, no it isnt the same thing.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,895,911 times
Quote:

If you want to make the argument that sagging is a cultural achievement, I am certainly not going to try and stop you. By all means, please carry on.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM

I suggest the two of you do some research on "narcocorrido", and just how easily it can be accusingly tied to mariachi, the same way that hip-hop/street culture, and some of its exports (i.e. sagging) are often tied to illegal activity and leading a "low class" lifestyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMhILuo3us0

Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM

The discussion is pointless. Maricahi music isnt Narcocorrido. Mariachi has a long storied history in Mexico, and is something completely different. If you confuse the two, then you're not educated on it's music, history, and cultural connection to Mexicans and Mexican Americans.

And no, no one should be confusing that. Rap was a product of the street/inner city environment. People hated on the kid because its easy to. Thats it. Nothing to do with narcorridos, and attaching the kid to illegal activities.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,224,520 times
You don't have municipalities trying to outlaw Mariachi dress. It's actually considered dignified. Now sagging on the other hand...

No comparison between the two.

Mariachi has been around centuries longer than narco songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas