Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas prisons be "air conditioned" to under 90 degrees
This is cruel and unusual punishment, cool those cell blocks now 29 34.52%
This is not cruel and unusual, but cool them anyway 15 17.86%
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, no AC for the bad boys and girls 34 40.48%
Turn the heat up for all I care 5 5.95%
Undecided 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
-and I've been in them so I speak from experience.
So has one of my sons. He spent time in Texas Prison system, time in the Federal Prison system, and time in five county jails. The decisions that HE MADE put him there. In high school, he played football and was in the National Book of Honor Roll Students. Twice. He has a bonafide IQ of 143. In high school he decided that drugs were more important than being a productive member of society. He has since straigtened himself out and is doing very well. He will be the first to tell you that he doesn't want to go back to prison because it is not conducive(sp?) to the kind of life he wants to live. It was brutal. Make it a resort and where's the incentive to stay out? You folks better wise up. If your way of thinking worked there would be no prison over-crowding. I do not support rewarding criminals.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Does anyone care about the wrongfully convicted? That's quite a personal issue for me, as I've had a close family member who was charged with a crime he didn't commit. Not to mention that it's one of my biggest fears.
How do you know he didn't do it for sure though? It seems like every time there is a crime committed in the inner city, the moms, grandmas, aunts or whoever else can't find a camera fast enough to claim the same thing every time: "My baby din do nuffins. He's an aspiring rapper, basketball player, mathematician, astronaut, etc." I mean, it's gotten to the point where it's such a cliche that it's a joke. They do this regardless of the evidence - sometime even if there is clear video of their little darling committing the crime.

Have some people been wrongly convicted? I'm sure some have. But I suspect that it is extremely rare. If someone leads a clean and lawful life and doesn't associate with miscreants, it would take a concerted effort to actually wrongly convict someone. On the other hand, if someone leads a shifty life, does drugs or hangs out with criminals, then it's probably a lot easier to get wrongly convicted. Then again, they should have thought about that before living that sort of lifestyle.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
So has one of my sons. He spent time in Texas Prison system, time in the Federal Prison system, and time in five county jails.
Laugh. I've been in them as part of my job, not an inmate!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 43,466 times
Quote:

That said, the solution isn't as simple as slapping AC onto the existing facilities--its a much more complex problem given the way they are designed.
There are several options that do not include extensive re-engineering of existing prisons. There are split level AC units, there are portable AC units. There is also the option of ventilating the general prison population, and triaging individuals who may be more vulnerable to heat, and locate them in separate sections of the facility that can be kept cool, and on and on , I'm sure you get the drift. But something needs to be done, besides this callous indifference

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
How do you know he didn't do it for sure though? It seems like every time there is a crime committed in the inner city, the moms, grandmas, aunts or whoever else can't find a camera fast enough to claim the same thing every time: "My baby din do nuffins. He's an aspiring rapper, basketball player, mathematician, astronaut, etc." I mean, it's gotten to the point where it's such a cliche that it's a joke. They do this regardless of the evidence - sometime even if there is clear video of their little darling committing the crime.

Have some people been wrongly convicted? I'm sure some have. But I suspect that it is extremely rare. If someone leads a clean and lawful life and doesn't associate with miscreants, it would take a concerted effort to actually wrongly convict someone. On the other hand, if someone leads a shifty life, does drugs or hangs out with criminals, then it's probably a lot easier to get wrongly convicted. Then again, they should have thought about that before living that sort of lifestyle.
He was found innocent because the actual person who did it was apprehended, bigot.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Laugh. I've been in them as part of my job, not an inmate!
I assumed as much. My post was let people that my son knows first hand what it's like in prison. I am old enough to remember when there was very little, if any, AC anywhere. Not having AC is not a death sentence. It's a luxury. I repeat....I had no AC at home until I was 16. Our first car with AC when I was, oh yeah, never. My first car with AC when I was 21. Thoughout my life I lived in several places without AC. I can only assume that those of you that 'feel sorry' for the criminals that create havoc and hardship on hard working folks have been pampered most of your lives. You poor poor things. I have better things to do than to worry if some murderer, thief, rapist, child molestor, etc. is comfortable. It's getting late. I think that I'll go to bed now on my new soft mattress. Tomorrow I think I'll go to the public pool and swim a few laps to keep in shape ( I cannot afford a complete workout/weightlifting area like prisoners have. Or a basketball court like prisoners have. I have to pay to swim AND pay to make sure prisoners have all the comforts of home). Do I care? Not a chance!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I assumed as much. My post was let people that my son knows first hand what it's like in prison. I am old enough to remember when there was very little, if any, AC anywhere. Not having AC is not a death sentence. It's a luxury. I repeat....I had no AC at home until I was 16. Our first car with AC when I was, oh yeah, never. My first car with AC when I was 21. Thoughout my life I lived in several places without AC. I can only assume that those of you that 'feel sorry' for the criminals that create havoc and hardship on hard working folks have been pampered most of your lives. You poor poor things. I have better things to do than to worry if some murderer, thief, rapist, child molestor, etc. is comfortable. It's getting late. I think that I'll go to bed now on my new soft mattress. Tomorrow I think I'll go to the public pool and swim a few laps to keep in shape ( I cannot afford a complete workout/weightlifting area like prisoners have. Or a basketball court like prisoners have. I have to pay to swim AND pay to make sure prisoners have all the comforts of home). Do I care? Not a chance!!!
You weren't incarcerated by the state. You were free to take a bath, open a window, go for a walk, drink a cold coke, run through sprinklers, sit in the shade, do any number of things that inmates don't have the option to do.

If we, as a society, opt to treat people cruelly then we are a cruel people.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 AM

[quote=Komeht;30070671]You weren't incarcerated by the state. You were free to take a bath, open a window, go for a walk, drink a cold coke, run through sprinklers, sit in the shade, do any number of things that inmates don't have the option to do.".....

And why is that? Because I was doing those things that you mentioned. I wasn't out commiting crimes. Because I considered the consequences of commiting crimes. Because I consider the lives/feelings/hard work/etc. of others BEFORE commiting a crime against them. Give me a break.
Why should I have ANY sympathy for someone that comes into my house and steals from me? Why should I have ANY sympathy for someone that rapes my daughter? Why should I have ANY sympathy for anyone that kills my wife or one of my family? Folks, it ain't gonna happen. I will personally inject a rusty needle into their arm and turn on the juice that kills their sorry a**. That's if I don't get to them before the authorities arrest them. Quit looking at the prison problem from the prisoners point of view. Look at it from the victims point of view. The victims that are dead do not have a chance to do those things that you mentioned, do they? Go whine to someone else.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
He was found innocent because the actual person who did it was apprehended, bigot.
Is there anybody who has a different opinion from yours that you don't call a bigot?

You've called me one before, too, and you get away with it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Last I saw on TV those prison cells have electric fans.

That's what we had at Fort Sam & Camp Hood in the 1940s, and while living in student dorms in the 1960s in Monterrey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas