U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
7,863 posts, read 8,808,205 times
Reputation: 7339

Advertisements

Hi all. We're planning a trip down to Surfside Beach from Dallas some time in July. I have been once and just took 45 down to the Houston area. I'd love to hear about some alternatives to the interstate, even if it adds some time to the car trip. I enjoy road trips and seeing places away from the interstate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,209 posts, read 3,147,483 times
Reputation: 1422
SH 288 is way more direct than 45-galveston-surfside. unless you just meant alternatives for the Dallas-Houston portion.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 06-15-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
7,863 posts, read 8,808,205 times
Reputation: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
SH 288 is way more direct than 45-galveston-surfside. unless you just meant alternatives for the Dallas-Houston portion.
Yes, alternatives to the Dallas-Houston portion. I'm not a regular visitor to Houston so 45 is the only way I know. Loved my alternative to San Antonio, can't recall the highway, but it was much more scenic and fun. Wondering if there is something similar...and if it is worth it. We'll just take 45 if there isn't anything more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
1,842 posts, read 3,774,281 times
Reputation: 1973
You could travel US 69 through East Texas cutting more westward on US 59 in Lufkin(to Houston) or taking it to Beaumont then going west on I-10 to Winnie then south on Texas 124 to the beach on Boliver Penninsula then west on US 87 to take the ferry to Galveston Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,567 posts, read 8,373,879 times
Reputation: 4196
This would be the scenic route...

Find your own preferred route to College Station, then take Hwy 6 to Navasota, to Hempstead (or Brenham - Hwy 36), to Bellville, then Hwy 36 to Sealy, to Rosenberg, to Needville, to West Columbia, to Brazoria, to Freeport, and find your way to Surfside Beach. This route will cross the Brazos River just west of Navasota.

Or, you might start by taking I-35 to Waco and/or Temple, to Cameron (nice zoo in Cameron), to Caldwell, to Brenham (Blue Bell ice cream, beautiful countryside), then Hwy 36 as above. This route will cross the Brazos River in Waco.

I've traveled Hwy 6 and Hwy 36 dozens of times between Houston and Abilene. You shouldn't encounter problems. I-35 from Waco to Temple may have major re-construction. I mention the Brazos River as I've been crossing it since my early years. I always give a horn honk over the river as I regard it as crossing from Texas front yard to Texas back yard... just a thing.

Last edited by Willsson; 06-16-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
 
240 posts, read 429,629 times
Reputation: 396
I35 to Waco. Hyw 6 out of Waco through College Station down to 290. 290 to the Beltway S around to 288 and then 288 to surfside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,209 posts, read 3,147,483 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
This would be the scenic route...

Find your own preferred route to College Station, then take Hwy 6 to Navasota, to Hempstead (or Brenham - Hwy 36), to Bellville, then Hwy 36 to Sealy, to Rosenberg, to Needville, to West Columbia, to Brazoria, to Freeport, and find your way to Surfside Beach. This route will cross the Brazos River just west of Navasota.

Or, you might start by taking I-35 to Waco and/or Temple, to Cameron (nice zoo in Cameron), to Caldwell, to Brenham (Blue Bell ice cream, beautiful countryside), then Hwy 36 as above. This route will cross the Brazos River in Waco.

I've traveled Hwy 6 and Hwy 36 dozens of times between Houston and Abilene. You shouldn't encounter problems. I-35 from Waco to Temple may have major re-construction. I mention the Brazos River as I've been crossing it since my early years. I always give a horn honk over the river as I regard it as crossing from Texas front yard to Texas back yard... just a thing.
this. i glanced at a map yesterday and it seems to be one of the more "direct" indirect routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,567 posts, read 8,373,879 times
Reputation: 4196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
this. i glanced at a map yesterday and it seems to be one of the more "direct" indirect routes.
Quote:
...some alternatives to the interstate, even if it adds some time to the car trip
I thought it was fairly alternative. And avoids Houston. Once you've been to Brenham and seen the contented cows, well... everything else is just Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
7,863 posts, read 8,808,205 times
Reputation: 7339
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM
 
10,118 posts, read 15,358,768 times
Reputation: 5510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Thanks everyone!

Hey there! We are going to be staying there the 1st week, ourselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top