Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM

152 posts, read 186,092 times

Advertisements

While the rate of uninsured motorists in Texas has dropped over the past few years, there are apparently still about 13% of the drivers who don't have adequate liability insurance. Since Texas requires proof of insurance to get your car inspected, how do people get around this? Also, if the number of uninsured motorists has dropped from 22% to 13%, shouldn't my the premiums for my coverage for uninsured motorists go down also? Over one hundred dollars every 6 months for uninsured motorist coverage seems pretty steep to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
1) Don't get their car inspected, fake insurance, fake inspection stickers (or stolen), to name a few, but I don't really know.
2) Premiums go down if the rate of claims go down, not the number w/o insurance. While it seems like those would be the same, that is not necessarily the case.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

215 posts, read 351,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
While the rate of uninsured motorists in Texas has dropped over the past few years, there are apparently still about 13% of the drivers who don't have adequate liability insurance. Since Texas requires proof of insurance to get your car inspected, how do people get around this? Also, if the number of uninsured motorists has dropped from 22% to 13%, shouldn't my the premiums for my coverage for uninsured motorists go down also? Over one hundred dollars every 6 months for uninsured motorist coverage seems pretty steep to me.
13% - 22% seems correct for the number of autos on the road with an inspection expired or registration expired or maybe both. This could equate to no insurance. I cant see that statistic on a windshield, but I can regarding inspection and registration. Look at the windshields of your peers vehicles when you are walking through a large parking lot.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
I saw the number 21% a few years back when the Texassure program started. Where did you see 13%?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 PM

152 posts, read 186,092 times
I saw the statistics here:

Number of Uninsured Drivers on Texas Roads Drops

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
People are getting their cars towed and there are fewer illegals in the state.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
[quote=TX75007there are fewer illegals in the state.[/QUOTE]

I have had friends/acquaintances that didn't have car insurance, & still were able to obtain their registration. I also have had friends/acquaintances who have been able to receive full benefits from both state & federal agencies. I don't know how they do it, but believe me. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,074,651 times
Quote:
When I lived in San Antonio, my premium was set at a particular amount. I moved out to a small town in west Texas and my monthly premium dropped drastically. When I moved to Houston, it went back up again. It was explained to me that part of the premium is also based on the number of claims filed, not so much on the number of uninsured motorists.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
My car insurance also dropped when moving from El Paso to the RGV.

It always cracks me up when the local media gets all excited & trumpets the "news" that the insurance industry considers the RGV the "safest" place in the U.S. to drive since there are so few claims filed! I really don't know how they report that with a straight face!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I found data from DPS here broken down by county:

TexasSure - News releases and stories

As a whole Texas has improved quite a lot in the past four years and I'm sure a lot of it has to do this this program. Over time this should reduce our uninsured motorist portions of coverage.....Hopefully. Pays to shop around every so often.

Only thing now is I think the liability minimums are too low. $30k for injury per person and up to $60k per accident? Don't know about you but I make $30k in less than a year and that amount doesn't go far with medical bills these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas