Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best weather ?
Austin 11 12.64%
San Antonio 4 4.60%
Dallas/Fort Worth 14 16.09%
Houston 6 6.90%
Corpus Christi 2 2.30%
El Paso 14 16.09%
Midland 3 3.45%
Lubbock 2 2.30%
Amarillo 9 10.34%
Abilene 1 1.15%
Tyler 5 5.75%
Lufkin 0 0%
Beaumont 0 0%
McAllen 4 4.60%
Other (please specify) 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Cathy, another rep sent your way. While I can't claim a deep familiarity with the entire state of Texas, I will always agree with you about the most beautiful part of the state being Ft Davis/Alpine/Marfa area.

Heading to Ft Stockton this weekend, but can't make the time to get that far down there.
Thanks!! Have a safe trip! I imagine once I get to Alpine (sometime in the fall)--I may wander over to Ft Stockton for Walmart if I don't feel like going all the way to M/O!

No more one-stop shopping in Alpine, LOL!!

One of these days, I'm going to make it all the way to the top of the Panhandle, just for the heck of it! I've been as far as your neck of the woods, but didn't have time to explore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
It's downright cool here tonight north of Lubbock. I just went outside in my housecoat and slippers to put my truck away, and to see if we received any rain, and quickly decided I should wear some more clothes. Brrr!

And no, we didn't get any rain of any measurable amount. Just a bit of spitting and blowing. Maybe later tonight...
We didn't get any rain up here (NW NM), either--just dark clouds and some lightning, so I still had to water. Much ado about nothing! We're just under 3 inches YTD.

It's HOT at 8:36 MDT with 80. I have so had it with summer, and I cannot wait for October!

Alpine has had rain, so the country should look good! It was dry when I was there in June, but rained a wonderful gullywasher while I was there. I went outside and just inhaled it. First appreciable rain I'd seen in THREE years.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,108,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We didn't get any rain up here (NW NM), either--
Here in south central mountains of New Mexico I've measured just over 3.5" since July 1. The first rain of the "monsoon" season arrived right on schedule on July 1 (.40"). So far all of the rain has come in brief heavy downpours, which does not have time to really saturate the soil before running off. But it's a blessing, regardless of how it comes!

I just finished reading the 2-volume history of The King Ranch, by El Paso author/writer Tom Lea. It is actually a history covering most of the southern Rio Grande area, from before the Civil War to 1957, when it was published. And because it's about ranching (as well as other things), weather patterns are a large part of the dialog. The cycling of weather from drought years to wet years is part and parcel of the weather history of the western 2/3 of the state of Texas.

Last edited by joqua; 07-15-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Here in south central mountains of New Mexico I've measured just over 3.5" since July 1. The first rain of the "monsoon" season arrived right on schedule on July 1 (.40"). So far all of the rain has come in brief heavy downpours, which does not have time to really saturate the soil before running off. But it's a blessing, regardless of how it comes!

I just finished reading the 2-volume history of The King Ranch, by El Paso author/writer Tom Lea. It is actually a history covering most of the southern Rio Grande area, from before the Civil War to 1957, when it was published. And because it's about ranching (as well as other things), weather patterns are a large part of the dialog. The cycling of weather from drought years to wet years is part and parcel of the weather history of the western 2/3 of the state of Texas.

Yes. We'll take the moisture however we can get it--rain or snow! It did rain sometime during the night, but not much. The average rain up here used to be 8-10 inches a year, and 12-15 inches of snow. So much for that!

I'm glad Ruidoso is having a monsoon season. I remember years when the drought was so bad, with dead trees, etc.

The August issue of Texas Highways had an article on Tom Lea that was interesting. I'd like to see his documentation during WWII. That exhibit is stored, but does make the rounds from time to time.

I would also like to read his volumes on the King Ranch. I imagine that the new Alpine public library (small, but very nice) can get it for me on interlibrary loan.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 AM

15,440 posts, read 21,241,421 times
Quote:
We didn't get any rain up here (NW NM), either--just dark clouds and some lightning, so I still had to water. Much ado about nothing! We're just under 3 inches YTD.
At sometime last night we received another 0.4" of rain. That makes 3.4" for us since June 1st. I'm not sure how much we have received since January 1st as I didn't start tracking it until June. I do know that, with the help of a visiting brother, I just cut down one of my large Chinese elms that died during the dry spell. I still have two more to get to the ground. Hopefully I won't lose any more of my shade trees.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,108,911 times
Quote:

The August issue of Texas Highways had an article on Tom Lea that was interesting. I'd like to see his documentation during WWII. That exhibit is stored, but does make the rounds from time to time.
Not like looking at the real art work, but here is the best web site for viewing a large volume of his works, both war time and western themed. George and Laura Bush are fans of his.

http://www.tomlea.net/works/2,000-Yard_Stare.html

Tom Lea was actively working as an artist and writer during my youth and was one of the influences on my own decision to pursue a career in the arts later in life. His most popular book is The Brave Bulls, from which a movie of the same name was made. He also illustrated many books for other authors.

Tom Lea's father was mayor of El Paso when Tom was a youngster.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
At sometime last night we received another 0.4" of rain. That makes 3.4" for us since June 1st. I'm not sure how much we have received since January 1st as I didn't start tracking it until June. I do know that, with the help of a visiting brother, I just cut down one of my large Chinese elms that died during the dry spell. I still have two more to get to the ground. Hopefully I won't lose any more of my shade trees.
Chinese elms? Those are supposed to be well-adapted to WT...I hope you don't lose any more of them, either.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Not like looking at the real art work, but here is the best web site for viewing a large volume of his works, both war time and western themed. George and Laura Bush are fans of his.

http://www.tomlea.net/works/2,000-Yard_Stare.html

Tom Lea was actively working as an artist and writer during my youth and was one of the influences on my own decision to pursue a career in the arts later in life. His most popular book is The Brave Bulls, from which a movie of the same name was made. He also illustrated many books for other authors.

Tom Lea's father was mayor of El Paso when Tom was a youngster.

Thanks for the link! It will be interesting to browse that site.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,241,421 times
Quote:
Chinese elms? Those are supposed to be well-adapted to WT.
Yes they are. Chinese elms came here even before Walmart could import them.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes they are. Chinese elms came here even before Walmart could import them.
LOL!!

I am thinking of what I want to put in my very small landscape in the back.....I was thinking only a small strip of lawn for the dogs, one fruit tree (probably apricot) and maybe one native or well-adapted small tree.

The lot is very small (which is what I wanted), and I'm going to see what it looks like after everything is finished, including the fence.

The front will be rock/gravel/agave/Texas purple sage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas