Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM

70 posts, read 105,586 times

Advertisements

I was interested to read in the AmStatesman that Greg Abbott lost the use of his legs while out jogging when a tree or tree branch fell on him. It seems he then sued the owner of the tree for $10 million which he got.

Isn't it Greg Abbott who introduced tort reform to limit damages to $750K?

After seeing the light, did Greg Abbott reimburse the tree's owner $9,250,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 608,973 times
Default Let the mud -slinging begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
I was interested to read in the AmStatesman that Greg Abbott lost the use of his legs while out jogging when a tree or tree branch fell on him. It seems he then sued the owner of the tree for $10 million which he got.

Isn't it Greg Abbott who introduced tort reform to limit damages to $750K?

After seeing the light, did Greg Abbott reimburse the tree's owner $9,250,000?
I am sure if you where in his position, you would give the money back, if that is even an
accurate account of what happened. NOT! The Amerikan Staesman is a very reliable,unbiased news source. NOT!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM

But I am NOT in his position. I wouldn't have been hypocritical enough to cap the award of damages for other people when I had sought $10 million in damages myself.

How very Marie-Antoinette of Abbott..

Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Do you understand the full scope of tort reform, btw?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM

15,440 posts, read 21,221,252 times
Most honest politicians still work for the people and not themselves. The people of Texas, who Abbott works for, wanted tort reform.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Do you understand the full scope of tort reform, btw?
Don't know if I understand the full scope of tort reform, but I certainly understand the concept "I'm alright, Jack, **** you"... so will any voters who find out about Abbott's hypocrisy.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
I don't pay to read the American Statesman because I don't consider it worth it (and not for political reasons, ALL sources of news are biased and anyone who thinks that their preferred source isn't isn't paying attention).

However, I'd be very interested to know if both of those are indeed the case - in other words, the rest of the story.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
I am, by the way, not a Greg Abbott supporter, in the interests of full disclosure. I'm dancing in the rain that we're getting rid of Rick Perry - why would I want Texas saddled with Greg Abbott or Dewhurst to replace him? Come on, Republicans, come up with a candidate that your women can live with, before we re-enact Lysistrata!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't pay to read the American Statesman because I don't consider it worth it (and not for political reasons, ALL sources of news are biased and anyone who thinks that their preferred source isn't isn't paying attention).

However, I'd be very interested to know if both of those are indeed the case - in other words, the rest of the story.
After reading that, I checked other sources. Apparently, when he ran against Kirk Watson last time for the AG, the issue came up and was hushed up. Some journalist (Dallas Morning News I think) tried to find out who was the (now impoverished) person who coughed up the $10 million (Abbott also sued a tree-trimming company) and mysteriously they couldn't get the name of the person - so it looks like Abbott may at least have paid back a bit in hush-money. The higher profile of running for the governorship will make it harder to keep this hidden.

Abbott's attacking the government when he has been a government employee for the whole of his life is also ridiculous. And his physical resemblance to Dubya who gave him his job on the Court won't help. And the fact that he is totally in the pocket of big money interests. Trumpetting the fact his wife has Mexican connections while trying to prevent Hispanics from voting, this guy is the king of the hypocrites.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Quote:
After reading that, I checked other sources. Apparently, when he ran against Kirk Watson last time for the AG, the issue came up and was hushed up. Some journalist (Dallas Morning News I think) tried to find out who was the (now impoverished) person who coughed up the $10 million (Abbott also sued a tree-trimming company) and mysteriously they couldn't get the name of the person
Did a person pay? or more likely, their insurance? I doubt they are now 'impoverished', and while they could be (I guess), you have no way of knowing. They could be a billionaire, for all you know. Who 'hushed' it up? I could care less for Abbott one way or another, but I am not sure if it is depressing or refreshing that conspiracy theories know no party affiliation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: