Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

TexasReb, that article led me to do some googling of my own (you know how I feel about Wikipedia - good for getting the search started, but don't depend on its accuracy!), and I found a lot of interesting scholarly "stuff" out there on our dialects. Thanks for the nudge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
TexasReb, that article led me to do some googling of my own (you know how I feel about Wikipedia - good for getting the search started, but don't depend on its accuracy!), and I found a lot of interesting scholarly "stuff" out there on our dialects. Thanks for the nudge!
So share with us what you discovered, THL!

Meanwhile, I GOTTA share this one (even though I might catch some hell from a few yankee lurkers! ).

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this on the 'Top Ten Things" to love about Texas, or THIS thread...since it involves a bit of both. Finally, I went with this one, since it does have something to do with accent.

Ok, without too much more ado, the connection between the threads is that many of us Texas boys listed "Texas women" (wimmin) as one of the things most noted about our Great State.

Well, here the other day, I came across a blog (which I had saved it) on which the writer -- whose name was Bob -- spoke of how -- having had experiences with both -- he preferred Southern girls to yankee ones for the simple reason the former know how to say "I love you" and it come out right. Example (paraphrasing as best I can):

Southern girls (he used a Texas woman as the example) have a soft, sensual drawl and the mannerisms to match...that makes it come out "I luuhv you, Bob"

As compared with a northeastern woman who says it like: Ieee laWWF (ryhmes with "golf") yahoo, Baaaaab.

Ok...I thought it was funny!

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-29-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Meanwhile, I GOTTA share this one (even though I might catch some hell from a few yankee lurkers! ).

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this on the 'Top Ten Things" to love about Texas, or THIS thread...since it involves a bit of both. Finally, I went with this one, since it does have something to do with accent.

Ok, without too much more ado, the connection between the threads is that many of us Texas boys listed "Texas women" (wimmin) as one of the things most noted about our Great State.

Well, here the other day, I came across a blog (which I had saved it) on which the writer -- whose name was Bob -- spoke of how -- having had experiences with both -- he preferred Southern girls to yankee ones for the simple reason the former know how to say "I love you" and it come out right. Example (paraphrasing as best I can):

Southern girls (he used a Texas woman as the example) have a soft, sensual drawl and the mannerisms to match...that makes it come out "I luuhv you, Bob"

As compared with a northeastern woman who says it like: Ieee laWWF (ryhmes with "golf") yahoo, Baaaaab.

Nothing beats the tantalizing sound of the sensuous voice of a Texas (or southern) woman on the telephone (or in person, for that matter) speaking softly, and with "the drawl". Sometimes, even just a slight drawl. Once she has your attention, fellow men, you are hooked. And, especially, when it's all really good.....

Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
When I was living in Houston, I had neighbors from East Texas. I was fascinated by their accent. They made the word "egg" a three syllable word. "Ay-yah-guh". I had the hardest time understanding what the heck they were saying. It was great fun to just listen to them talk.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM1 View Post
When I was living in Houston, I had neighbors from East Texas. I was fascinated by their accent. They made the word "egg" a three syllable word. "Ay-yah-guh". I had the hardest time understanding what the heck they were saying. It was great fun to just listen to them talk.
Good one, PJM. BUT...naturally, the question when it comes to finding another's "accent" or idiom "different" depends on where the FORMER is from!

If I am honest (which I try to be) and listen to myself...when I refer to that laid by a chicken, I guess I DO pronounce it (soft "a"), something like "aig"...or "ehhg"

But what about if that to "us" a northerner's pronunciation of it comes out to our delicate Texas/Southern ears as an "Ugh"

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-23-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:

Hey, I don't say "I love you" like that. No way in heck does my "love" rhyme with golf!!
By the way, I love the Southern drawl!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I never really notice an accent until I step out of Texas and get told that I have an accent.

I guess there is truth to:
"The fish don't notice the water"

Old 05-24-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Hey, I don't say "I love you" like that. No way in heck does my "love" rhyme with golf!!
By the way, I love the Southern drawl!
Well, not you of course, Miss TWB! We've adopted you as one of our own!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I never really notice an accent until I step out of Texas and get told that I have an accent.

I guess there is truth to:
"The fish don't notice the water"

LOL Good way to put it!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Well, not you of course, Miss TWB! We've adopted you as one of our own!
aaahhhh...I feel like the Grinch on Christmas day when his heart swells 5x bigger when he learns the true meaning of Christmas! You just made my day and I feel honored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas