Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times

Advertisements

When I was 15, before I had my license, I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol on 59 between Lufkin and Nacogdoches, clocked at 108 mph. It was about 2am and all I could show the trooper was a learner's permit.

We talked a few minutes about my car. He wrote me a ticket, and let me drive home, knowing I'd face real trouble when I had to take my parents to court with me.

Back on topic, I'll miss Highway 59. Good times.

To Dee--in San Francisco, we celebrate tearing freeways down, not building them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 AM

577 posts, read 512,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
When I was 15, before I had my license, I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol on 59 between Lufkin and Nacogdoches, clocked at 108 mph. It was about 2am and all I could show the trooper was a learner's permit.

We talked a few minutes about my car. He wrote me a ticket, and let me drive home, knowing I'd face real trouble when I had to take my parents to court with me.

Back on topic, I'll miss Highway 59. Good times.

To Dee--in San Francisco, we celebrate tearing freeways down, not building them.
Funny that you mention that. There is a lot of talk in Austin about tearing out I-35 or putting it underground through downtown because it's a traffic nightmare, an eyesore, and divides the city. San Francisco has been brought up a lot in the conversations and how they tore out some freeways. Personally I think a tree lined boulevard would look much better than the concrete and asphalt mess here now.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Funny that you mention that. There is a lot of talk in Austin about tearing out I-35 or putting it underground through downtown because it's a traffic nightmare, an eyesore, and divides the city. San Francisco has been brought up a lot in the conversations and how they tore out some freeways. Personally I think a tree lined boulevard would look much better than the concrete and asphalt mess here now.
Cities all over the world are tearing down their central freeways. I wish Houston would demolish 45 and open it up Downtown, and then deck 59 before it becomes elevated (45 traffic can be rerouted onto 59 and an expanded I-10). That's billions though. The city wants to spend billions on bayou improvements. Best for Houston would be to have all of the freeways end at 610, have 610 be the super wide loop freeway to carry traffic around, and make the freeways into boulevards inside the loop.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
This used to be a double-decker freeway, making a wall that blocked views and enjoyment of the waterfront:

Embarcadero : San Francisco Neighborhoods

After the earthquake in '89, they tore it down and replaced it with one of San Francisco's greatest boulevards and public spaces.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
You need to look around at whats going on in Nac and in Lufkin.
Nacogdoches is building all over with the new North village center that will have 14 stores including resturants like newks that will be open soon,Rustys tacos just open again a national chain a new home improvement store ATWOODS is about to open in October the new Power center that will be a Haulk holdings project that is a shopping center that is also on the plans.Hungry Howies just open up about week ago with crowds of people on foot crowed all around the Universtiy plaza shopping center.The fish place open up a taste of some good Louisanna food,Steeles department store open up,Jimmy Jongs just open up,China star buffet just open and both deliver.Citi trends open up in the mall and now Biglots has plans to open up in the old brookshire building.Family dollar just built a location in Cushing,Chireno,Etoile and now two more locations in Nac,one will be at the intersection of Douglas hwy and ritche st west end and the other across from North view plaza in the old car lot.Fuzzy Tacos open up basically all this in one year of time trust me again Trust Me it doesn't take long for a city to take power plus the medical field is expanding including the hospital construction going on soooooooooo wat you are trying to call a ''Small town'' that can't compete you haven't seen nothing yet........hmmm
Now lets talk about lufkin G.E. electric just bought Lufkin indurstries,Carl jr's open up.Tjmaxx just open up,Woodland heights is exspanding and memorial health system added a stroke center,Burke center is building a new and bigger locations on frank street,Fuel city that only have two locations in the state and thats in Funkytown and downtown Dallas has open with a Dennys and Lufkin have 7 locations of family dollar lol which isn't a shock.Five guys plus bugers and fries have open up,there is another national chain buger joint opening up in the old grannys resturant.A new strip center open up on the east loop that has a upscale look to it with several stores.The freeway is now bascially all around loop 287 and the person saying that the freeway is only one third of a mile is truly False,it goes from north loop at the Tyler exit all the way to the south end at white house st. which about a 12 mile stretch.I also seen where some body said txdot haven't decided on the route well guess what there are signs from Houston which is officially I-69 and signs are post all the way to Garrison,tx.Someone from Austin said that and to clear this up in Lufkin when you come to a major intersection there is more lanes then it drop back down and then approaching another intersection it pick back up with more lanes.You being from Austin should know that.Beaumont a prime example the interstate in front of the park dale mall goes up to more lanes then drop down coming from a major intersection then pick back up at another major one.In Beaumont on that same corridor it drops to two lanes on each side with exits not frontage road and people in Beaumont still call it the freeway. Oklahoma city and Atlanta,georgia have the same thing going in some areas where there is lane without frontage road and have only exits at some interchanges but still a freeway.Houston is about the only city in the country that have frontage road following the whole routes on there freeways.
Smaller paragraphs and sentence divisions are YOUR friends.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM

88 posts, read 88,058 times
Madisonville will be a semi-suburb of Houston before Lufkin. And, no, "I-69" won't be sped up by making it a toll road. After the fiasco of 130 on the east side of Austin, TxDOT's not that dumb.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Zombie Thread Apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas