Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times

Advertisements

Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Houston all the way.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Houston all the way.
Im personally curious as to why you, BigDGeek, think there is a difference? Knowing what you say youre looking for in a city, you would hate Houston just as much.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Dallas is a better city than Houston. It has zoning which means better planning, it has a train system, the suburbs aren't as far out, more housing in urban neighborhoods, and lower rent.

Plus it's more Western than Southern. BTW when people on this board talk about Houston being "diverse" it sounds like they're saying "You're black so you probably want to be with other black people".

Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I haven't lived in Dallas so I can't give you an opinion on which to pick. I just wanted to say that we lived in Holly Springs for 8 months and one big issue we had with it was a feeling of segregation. Not sure Raleigh is as bad but considering they just stopped busing I would suspect it might be. Texas isn't perfect by any means but we felt a huge difference there compared to where we live in San Antonio and we have a substantially smaller percentage of Africa Americans here. It made me uncomfortable to think my kids would grow up in a neighborhood with primarily only one race. People may argue but I hope you will be happily surprised when you move to Texas.

I realize that wasn't your question but thought I'd throw that in. From what I know of the two places I think either would be good but agree Austin doesn't really fit.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im personally curious as to why you, BigDGeek, think there is a difference? Knowing what you say youre looking for in a city, you would hate Houston just as much.
Because it doesn't matter what I am looking for, it matters what the OP is looking for...and Houston sounds like a better fit.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Taynxtlvl, you will have to excuse those posters who are clearly here for no other reason than to start a childish pissing match between the cities. I personally think you can't go wrong with Dallas or Houston.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I just turned 30 and am a professional male who is excited to experience big city life first hand. I have lived in Raleigh my entire life and it's cool to see what Raleigh is becomin. Having traveled around the country a while I know that I want to live somewhere larger more built up while Raleigh-Durham catches up to all the praise it's been receiving. Not married with a family and life here for the single can isn't exactly exciting

Leaving my job and like so many others and moving to Texas as it is one of just a few of places that only place I see in the media and by word of mouth that is better than North Carolina right now for accolades and people moving there because of great oppurtunities. I'm scared a little as Raleigh has lots of good going for it! Don't want to leave paradise for anything less. I've booked my flight and will be down for a week next month and renting a car to check it all out.

Anyone from Raleigh/Durham or former residents. Torn between Dallas/Ft. Worth & Houston...Austin I hear is a lot like Raleigh already and perhaps it's too small.

About me: African-American Male 30, Work Legal Field with some IT experience and secondary income from Logistics, Like arts/music, bike riding, and good restaurants, gym. Make friends easily.

Can anyone help or provide a few pointers?... Is Dallas like Raleigh? Is Houston?
Raleigh is a fine place, I was there far week for school, (Nortel). Nothing in Texas is like Raleigh.

I live in the Piney woods of East Texas and have values about a 180 degrees from yours (I consider Tyler, and Lubbock to be big cities)

Having said that, I have lived near D.C. in New York Houston and spent a lot of time in training in Dallas. If I were told I had to live on the Eastern Seaboard or in Dallas, or in Houston, first I would try to shoot myself, when that failed I would look at the numbers.

I have found that Houston has the lowest cost of living in Texas, this isn't to say that there isn't some small place somewhere that beats Houston, nor does it mean that some bad, nice middle class, rich, urban, suburban place in Dallas, San Antonio or Austin couldn't be Houston, but on average, Houston has lower rent, housing prices, food prices, fuel prices than anywhere else in the state.

For example, when my sister was retiring and moving from Midland back to Eastern Texas she looked at Nacogdoches Lufkin area, she chose Kingwood, there were more things to do and the price for the new houses were better.

Another example, when I drive to Houston I fill up just outside of Houston because the price of gas is noticeably less in Houston than in East Texas.

When I lived in Houston, Friendswood actually, I noticed that the number 1 Whataburger meal was less expensive in Friendswood than in Beaumont. I started paying close attention and I found most chain restaurants were less expensive in Houston than in other areas. (Beaumont is neither an expensive nor desirable area.)

I suppose that if it came down to numbers, Houston would win, but I think it would be so close that the job offered would make my choice for me.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I would say Houston because it's a great city for blacks (I sensed this from my visit). I don't know anything about Dallas.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I would say Houston because it's a great city for blacks (I sensed this from my visit). I don't know anything about Dallas.
Why do you think it's a great city for blacks? Because 20% of the population is black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas