U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,485,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Nacogdoches population 32,000 is more of a college party town than Tyler population 108,000.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM

24 posts, read 70,855 times
Try Quitman, Winnsboro, Mineola, Big Sandy. You already know about Gilmer!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,376,492 times
Love Tyler for Dinner and a Movie if it rains. But I prefer to weekend in Rusk. The rolling foothills,wildlife, and natural calm are amazing.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,901,361 times
I like Lufkin alot for a midsized town, but for the small towns in East Texas I'd have to go with Jefferson, or maybe Crockett. I like the old town, and history of Jefferson, but the ranch life of Crockett. Im from Trinity County also, and do enjoy the proximity to the lake for watersports, and camping in the summer. Trinity is much smaller than Crockett, but it seems larger in a way because of all of the weekend homes around the lake. There is nothing like going back home on the weekends now and again to visit the family ranch and enjoy the outdoors. At least with Crockett you have some nice older homes in a small stretch East of town, and the luxury of Wal-Mart and a couple diners. Trinity is close to Huntsville though so there are amenities there also. There are tons of issues in both communities political, drugs, or otherwise, but all in all it's what you make of it, and for me home is where the heart is. I also love small town events in the area (ie: Trinity Annual Fair, Walker County Fair & Rodeo, Trinity Rodeo, Lovelady Love Fest, Grapeland Peanut Festival, etc...).

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM

8,801 posts, read 14,376,492 times
Trinity feels big because it's all stretched out along 19. Lovelady is itty bitty.
I like the Crockett area, but I felt to the urge to keep going a little more NE to get the true rural feel.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,133,074 times
Any city that has blues festivals in East TX are my favorites.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
Beautiful and fabulous quote for the Daingerfield area..I would like to meet you and get some ideas from you if you could. Call the Chamber office at 645-2646 or email me back. I am the President of the Chamber, Marc Easley
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTexas85 View Post
I am from Daingerfield, TX....lived here all my life, except for 3 years in Longview and 3 years in Pittsburg. I now live on Lone Star Lake right on the water and it is so beautiful right now. It is also very beautiful around and at Daingerfield State Park. My brother's land butts up to the park and last Sunday after church, he, my husband and I went out on our four wheelers to check the deer feeders and rode all over the land, and I don't believe in all my 39 years have I ever seen more beautiful scenery in all my life. I told my husband to look at all those trees! They were red, brown and orangy. It was breathtaking going thru the woods. If I were a painter I could have painted the most beautiful picture.

I had forgotten just how beautiful East Texas is in the fall....but here lately have taken the time to just look around and take notice. Sometimes we just get caught up in this busy ole world around us and don't take the time to "stop and smell the roses".I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful place called East Texas. The small
hometown feel of Daingerfield....the Friday night football games, the local fairs, the Gilmer Yamboree (which is this weekend), Mardi Gras in Jefferson in the Spring, antiquing in Gladewater and Pittsburg, Caddo Lake in Uncertain... just to name a few. I feel I live in the center of paradise sometimes....it may just be "Small Town" Texas....but I wouldn't trade it for anyplace!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times
We are looking to buy property in east TX and commute up on the weekends from Houston. We like the elevation(300-600 ft above sea level), rainfall (Plenty...everything was green today)and beauty of most of Nacogdoches, but it is just too far from S. Houston! It would be 8 hours (there and back!)

Can anyone recommend an area to buy a large tract of acreage (100 acres) with a nice small town nearby? Somewhere private, safe and beautiful. We like a mixture of hardwoods and pine with some water source nearby (fishing). An area that's high enough that it does not flood. Looked at the diff maps but need help in narrowing down the town. Nacogdoches had some pretty hidden nooks...unfortunately there were HUGE drilling rigs and gas pipelines all over with lots of big trucks coming and going. We just want to create our piece of heaven as we commute up on the weekends and continue to school our son here (oh...and work too!)

The key is to keep it withing 2 or 2-1/2 hours of Houston.

Many thanks for helping to create my vision!

Wind_Dancer

Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 AM

4,549 posts, read 5,783,630 times
Has anyone mentioned Woodville? It's a picturesque little village in SE TX-Piney Woods, near the Alabama-Coushauta Indian reservation. Did you know there's an Indian reservation in East Texas? Anyway, I discovered this little town when I lived in Beaumont. Used to drive that way when I made trips to Austin.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,218,797 times
Hunstville or on Highway 19 out of Huntsville going North toward Lake Livingston Area. Many weekend homes in the woods up that way. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas