Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Let me get this right. Gregg Abbott a candidate for Texas Gov has joined Eric Holder in the DOJ to block the merger of U.S. Airways and American Airlines. Huh? If American and U.S merge it would result in American being the largest Airlines in the world again. This is political suicide for Mr. Abbott IMO considering how anti-government he proclaims to be.
You have bought into the straw man put out by the Left.

It was Abbot's office who got Amazon to knuckle under - among many other multinationals who wanted to do business in the state. They are not pro-anyone but rather pro-fairness.

TX politicians are first of all Populist and Pluralistic, and then whatever label you want to put on them.

If you knew TX history and politics, then you would know that the real power in the state is the TX Railroad Commissioner. Texas is a heavily regulated state - but the regulations are well known, rarely change, and applied fairly. Lord help you if you cross the RRC. There are a number of firms that learned that the hard way - some that are no longer around.

That approach has been handed down from administration to administration, regardless of party.

Most of the GOP in TX are Democrats who left the Democrat Party in TX due to its corruption and inability to take on the big issues in the state. The key mark on their Psyche is the Savings and Loan debacle in the early 80s coupled with the crash in oil prices. Both of these nearly bankrupted the state. The runaway legal system made TX the laughing stock of the world and businesses rightly began to flee. Add in the extreme poverty of the rural and Hispanic areas. And then a one-party state that did NOTHING to address these issues.

A TX Democrat was never a Coastie Liberal. They were and still are Populists. A Coastie Liberal is pro-big business, pro-central planning, pro-special favor. Not so in TX. The rules apply to everyone. And no special favors. And TX drives a hard bargain. The TX GOP inherited that because that is where they came from.

So I am not surprised that Abbot joined the lawsuit. The number of gates American now controls is a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times
Quote:
I think the idea that U.S. airways executives will be running the show has a lot to do with why Abbott got involved.
Actually, this is the best part of the deal. No one disputes this. And this is not what is in dispute in the lawsuit.

Its the number of gates that the new Airline controls.

Given TX pluralistic politics, the smaller airlines have a voice and a stake in this along with the various cities and their airports. They cannot be ignored. Dallas is just one of several large cities in the state and North TX is just one region in the state.

Its is natural that this merger's implications would attract attention.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Texas pluralistic politics? Liberal Republicans? Maybe I live in a different Texas... Tom Delay's Texas. Or maybe some of you guys are confused. You know the Democratic party of the KKK was on the far right of the political spectrum right?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

It was Abbot's office who got Amazon to knuckle under - among many other multinationals who wanted to do business in the state. They are not pro-anyone but rather pro-fairness.

TX politicians are first of all Populist and Pluralistic, and then whatever label you want to put on them.

If you knew TX history and politics, then you would know that the real power in the state is the TX Railroad Commissioner. Texas is a heavily regulated state - but the regulations are well known, rarely change, and applied fairly. Lord help you if you cross the RRC. There are a number of firms that learned that the hard way - some that are no longer around.

That approach has been handed down from administration to administration, regardless of party.

Most of the GOP in TX are Democrats who left the Democrat Party in TX due to its corruption and inability to take on the big issues in the state. The key mark on their Psyche is the Savings and Loan debacle in the early 80s coupled with the crash in oil prices. Both of these nearly bankrupted the state. The runaway legal system made TX the laughing stock of the world and businesses rightly began to flee. Add in the extreme poverty of the rural and Hispanic areas. And then a one-party state that did NOTHING to address these issues.

A TX Democrat was never a Coastie Liberal. They were and still are Populists. A Coastie Liberal is pro-big business, pro-central planning, pro-special favor. Not so in TX. The rules apply to everyone. And no special favors. And TX drives a hard bargain. The TX GOP inherited that because that is where they came from.

So I am not surprised that Abbot joined the lawsuit. The number of gates American now controls is a big deal.
And you wanna call him out for falling for the "straw man put out by the Left" yet you are doing the same for the right.

Dat dere propaganda.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:

CBS news reported that if the merger went through as is, the fare on the merged Airline would be about $1500 for a round trip from Houston to New York. That would reflect the highest rate both Airlines charged AA $1500 US about $550. Texas is not about to allow that to happen regardless of who is AG. After they make some concessions they will re-apply for the merger and sooner or later it will get approved.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-13-2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 AM

581 posts, read 924,170 times
Quote:

When someone is elected governor of Texas, they are sharing executive power with four other positions. Indeed, the Texas executive branch of the government is split into five parts shared by a Governor, a Lt. Governor, a Land Commissioner, a Comptroller, and an Attorney General. That means the Attorney General doesn't answer to the Governor. When the Texas Congress spends to much money, its is the Comptroller and neither the Governor nor the Attorney General who takes them to court for violating the Texas Constitution. As by treaty, Texas got to keep all its land after joining the Union, that is why we have a Land Commissioner. The Lt. Governor works with Congress in passing legislation. At one time, Lt. Bob Bullock welded more power than the actual Governor of Texas.

So, we know in Texas that our Governor isn't as powerful of a position as, let's say, the President of the United States. Now if only the average stupid American voter would learn this fact. Indeed, a lot of our past Governors were indeed "tupid," as Mike Tyson might say. But Texas government isn't great, but Texas with its limited government is the greatest.

Man! Sometimes I can' believe how lucky I am to be a Cowboy fan living in the greatest city, in the greatest state, in the greatest nation, on the greatest planet, in the greatest universe!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Man! Sometimes I can' believe how lucky I am to be a Cowboy fan living in the greatest city, in the greatest state, in the greatest nation, on the greatest planet, in the greatest universe!
How are things in FTW-Arlington these days ? Been awhile since I've been to that great city, but nothing but good memories.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Or it could earn him some points from people not in his base. There are too few airlines and combining AA/US would mean higher prices for everyone. I like this. Kudos to the republican.

Now where is LAnative?
Right here! I go by the name peterlemonjello now (previously justme02 and LAnative10 before that).

Ill add my thoughts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Indeed, allowing American Airlines to go out of business would be the best thing economically for the Dallas - Fort Worth area. The airport is actually hindered by the behemoth. Though there would be a short time of trauma, chopping these monsters into bits piecemeal would be in the best interest of all.
This is one of the most clueless loads of garbage Ive read in a long time. The airport is not hindered by American Airlines, the airport is as big as it is because of American Airlines.

Binky, if AA went out of business, the DFW would lose thousands upon thousands of jobs. Not only that, but the amount of flights and destinations at DFW would easily be cut in half. As with any mega hub (DFW, ATL, IAH, etc.), there are many destinations served that the local market by itself could not support.

The truth of the matter is that a strong DFW (and American Airlines) is good for the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a whole. You have no idea how many business have relocated here because of DFW airport.

Quote:
I think the idea that U.S. airways executives will be running the show has a lot to do with why Abbott got involved.
Why? This merger does nothing but benefit the DFW area. I guess maybe he is just trying to make a statement, but his getting the state involved is stupid on his part. As stated, this merger is nothing but good for Texas and he is standing in the way of that. Not only that, he has campaigned on a hands off government. This contridicts that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
And maybe also something to do with Abbott running for Gov ?
Thats my only thought.

At the end of the day, Delta/Northwest and United/Continental went through the exact same hurdles. All that will happen is that a few concessions will be made (primiarly LHR slots and DCA slots) and things will continue as normal. The merger still has a 90% chance of happening. Ive been in this business for my entire professional career, this stuff always happens.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
I kinda miss the days when I had the choice between 10 or more Airlines competing for my $$$

There was Pan Am, US Airways, United, Western, Northwest, Southwest, Delta, Continental, American, America West, etc.

Now there is only Crappy Airlines, Crappier Airways, and Unbelievably Crappinental Airlines. They should split them all up.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,075 times
OK so here's my question, same one I've had all along: why doesn't American use the Alaskan Air model which is, last time I checked, an airline in the industry that's been a financial success while basically having just a single hub ? American in its present form has 2 powerful hubs (DFW & Miami), so why does it need to get more mass either thru organic growth or thru merging with a competitor ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas