Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 PM

167 posts, read 334,665 times

Advertisements

Where do the locals go for a great steak?

Don't say the Big Texan, or all credibility will be lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Any other non-steak food recommendations would be appreciated as well

Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,464 times
BIG TEXAN!!!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system.... Actually was my least favorite steak in all of Amarillo. The high price I paid for it was salt in the wound....

I hate sending anyone to chains, but I am gonna have to anyway, as I have not found a truly inspiring steak place here.

Coyote Bluff is a pretty decent one, however most folks go for their HELL BURGER. The burger is not my cup of tea, but the place is ultra cool, the food is good and the beer is cold. Last time I was there, it was order "a steak" telling them how you want it cooked. Been several years since I have had one, so can't remember if it was a ribeye or not. Has been less time since I had a beer there though.

Chains: Texas Roadhouse, Saltgrass, Hoffbrau.

If you like Mexican however, I got some great recommends and all of which I really like. There are a number of fine Mexican places in Ama, but these are my favorites.

The Plaza - Soncy just north of I-40
La Fiesta - Coulter & 45th, and just south of I-40 on Ross
El Patron - 45th just east of Bell

For an epic burrito, SHARKY'S. Just north of I-40 on Georgia.

In Canyon - Pepito's. They have a location in Amarillo, but I have heard tell it is not as good. I have not eaten at it, so don't know. In Canyon it is just south of the 23rd and 4th intersection.
Also in Canyon - Feldman's Wrong Way Diner. Next to United on 23rd (the street you are on coming in from Amarillo)

No alcohol served in Canyon if that makes a difference to you.

Yes, I eat out a lot.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM

Excellent! We will be in Canyon too (visiting Palo Duro Canyon), so I will scope those out.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM

Dunno if you will read this before you leave, but in case you do:
Pepito's is closed on Sunday. Family run restaurant, and I think they just want a day off. Feldman's is open though.

Second, if you are interested in a hike in PD Canyon, hit the Lighthouse trail. Plenty of choosings out there, but that one is my favorite. Make sure and take plenty of water though. One bottle of water is nowhere near enough.

Have (or hope you HAD) a great time!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks! I'll be out there in early September, so I still have a few weeks

Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Even better! For some reason I got it in my head that you were in town looking.... My imagination working overtime I guess.

So, I forgot a couple places.
Green Chili Willy's - In a little metal building on the east side of I-27 between Rockwell and McCormick roads. I have never been there, but every single person I know that has, tells me how foolish I am for putting off a visit. Lots of love for that place, so sometime I oughta try it out.

Texas Firehouse & Sports Bar - on the NE corner of 34th and Coulter. Easy to find, and the food there is pretty darned good. If you like to watch sports while you eat, that is a great place.

Tyler's BBQ - Won some kind of award for great BBQ. Another place I have yet to go, but again I have been chastised for not trying it out. 2014 Paramount, you will need to google map this one to find it.

Wesley's Bean Pot - A block or so east of US 87 (what I-27 turns into going north from I-40), and maybe a mile north of St Francis on RIVER ROAD. Google map it to find it, although it really ain't too hard to find. Been here many times, because it is close to where I work. Decent BBQ, but is always consistently the same.

If you are planning to stay in Amarillo, then drive to Palo Duro Canyon, you can take the back way for a more pleasant drive than the interstate. Take Washington south from I-40, and on through a nice little canyon with the Boy Scout camp on the east side, and continue on until you hit a flashing stop light. That is 4th that goes west into Canyon or east to Palo Duro Canyon.

Also if you have the time, stop by the museum on the campus of West Texas A&M in Canyon. Well worth spending several hours looking at the history of the area. That is a very well done museum, with lots of American Indian, cowboy, and oil exhibits. If you like looking at gun collections, they have a real nice exhibit on that too.

About all I can think of right now, and i hope you have a great visit!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Excellent suggestions, especially for the scenic drive down! Now I need to pick which restaurant to try!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Embers Restaurant for steak

Amarillo has Thai food, and it's pretty good. There is also a Thai food place in Canyon called Thai Kitchen. It's owned by the same family who owns two other Thai joints in Amarillo.

There is also an Italian Restaurant in Canyon "Eddie Napolis" that gets some pretty good reviews.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Embers Restaurant for steak
Good then, eh? I might have to try that, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Amarillo has Thai food, and it's pretty good. There is also a Thai food place in Canyon called Thai Kitchen. It's owned by the same family who owns two other Thai joints in Amarillo.
I somehow forgot that one. I eat there once in a while and it is consistently good.

Quote:
There is also an Italian Restaurant in Canyon "Eddie Napolis" that gets some pretty good reviews.
DW went there several times right after it opened, and loved it. She has said the last few times, it was not as good. She dragged me in there (I don't care for Italian), and we stood at the front of the nearly empty restaurant for over 5 minutes with absolutely no one bothering to seat us. Not just us, but another couple as well. We just stared at a waitress and the hostess sitting at a table chatting and giggling. We all just walked out. A couple of weeks later DW went back with a gaggle of teacher buddies, and it took over an hour to get seated and served. Half the place was empty too.

So I did not include that one. hehe

Thanks for the pointers though, and apologies to the OP for swiping his thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas