Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a one week road trip through Texas. I'd start in Dallas, then I'm considering going to Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island and then maybe Houston. I have diverse interests and enjoy the bustle of cities, good local cuisine, scenery, live music, nature and history but I also don't want a rushed trip. It won't be that hot in December when I plan on doing this trip but it will be nice enough compared to Boston.

With only one week to spend in Texas, how do you recommend I split my time? I'd rather not waste time in cities or locations that aren't worth it. With one week, I feel that I can realistically do a maximum of three cities in a relaxed manner. What should I include/exclude to ensure I maximize my time to see the best of Texas? Any landmarks or nice little towns or quirky things to see along the way to see?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Very wide open question, but if you are going to limit it to three major cities....well, San Antonio and Houston would be the top two, I think. Depending on your likes, Either Austin or DFW for your third. El Paso (and Big Bend) are just too remote from the rest of the state to include in a 'combined' trip.

While SPI is nice, it will add a lot of travel time, so not sure I would do it, either, but it is all dependent on your preferences. Corpus, while having so much potential, is must not as much fun to 'tour', although the refineries can be interesting .

Anyway, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Island, and River walk in SA are all good stops.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
I say go to San Antone for sure....its the number one tourist destination in the state.The Hill Country is nice too.If I were you, I would order your free Texas travel guide.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I say go to San Antone for sure....its the number one tourist destination in the state.The Hill Country is nice too.If I were you, I would order your free Texas travel guide.
I agree.

With one week, and if you don't want to rush, I think this is more than enough - San Antonio, the Hill Country (Fredericksburg, Wimberley), also New Braunfels/Gruene. Actually Ft Worth is nice to visit, too. Dallas and Houston are more working towns so I would budget less time there.

I don't like to rush. If my day is scheduled to the hour and I am waking up early on my vacation to cram in everything, then it isn't a vacation. It's work.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I agree.

With one week, and if you don't want to rush, I think this is more than enough - San Antonio, the Hill Country (Fredericksburg, Wimberley), also New Braunfels/Gruene. Actually Ft Worth is nice to visit, too. Dallas and Houston are more working towns so I would budget less time there.

I don't like to rush. If my day is scheduled to the hour and I am waking up early on my vacation to cram in everything, then it isn't a vacation. It's work.
Thanks Daniel.All good suggestions.Austins a good town too but it may be not your cup of tea,OP, due to all the college students.If I had to pick between Austin and San Antone's tourist traps for a visitor, I would pick the Alamo City in a heart beat.well Austin is the live music capital of the world, so you may like it.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM

On second thought, a lot of the college kids will probably be gone around December for the Christmas break

Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm considering a one week road trip through Texas. I'd start in Dallas, then I'm considering going to Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island and then maybe Houston.
I can't imagine doing all of those place in a week's time.

I would suggest following the advice others have already offered and concentrating on San Antonio and surrounds. Most "touristy" attractions outside of the city proper will be to the north. One week is not enough time to do the San Antonio area justice, much less added metro areas.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM

168 posts, read 529,975 times
Here's a great way you can see some places and maybe help decide. Great lil' show called "The Daytripper" with Chet Garner lets you see all the lil' spots you can visit on day trips around Texas... and here's the website for the show Daytrips | The Daytripper
Hope it helps, and that you're able to enjoy the time and yes, not just rush around to too many places to enjoy. Many don't get to enjoy the journey, but always in hurry to get to destination. I think it's sooo important to enjoy the journey, whatever it is.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsQ View Post
Here's a great way you can see some places and maybe help decide. Great lil' show called "The Daytripper" with Chet Garner lets you see all the lil' spots you can visit on day trips around Texas... and here's the website for the show Daytrips | The Daytripper
Hope it helps, and that you're able to enjoy the time and yes, not just rush around to too many places to enjoy. Many don't get to enjoy the journey, but always in hurry to get to destination. I think it's sooo important to enjoy the journey, whatever it is.
That's a great show

Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm considering a one week road trip through Texas. I'd start in Dallas, then I'm considering going to Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island and then maybe Houston. I have diverse interests and enjoy the bustle of cities, good local cuisine, scenery, live music, nature and history but I also don't want a rushed trip. It won't be that hot in December when I plan on doing this trip but it will be nice enough compared to Boston.

With only one week to spend in Texas, how do you recommend I split my time? I'd rather not waste time in cities or locations that aren't worth it. With one week, I feel that I can realistically do a maximum of three cities in a relaxed manner. What should I include/exclude to ensure I maximize my time to see the best of Texas? Any landmarks or nice little towns or quirky things to see along the way to see?

Thanks in advance.
Start in Dallas:

-Stay in Uptown/Downtown
-Breakfast at Breadwinners or Dream Cafe (both in Uptown)
-Reunion Tower Should be open soon
-Visit the Dallas World Aquarium
/or/
-Visit the Perot Museum of Science
-Have lunch at the Klyde Warren Deck Park
-If your a shopper, visit North Park Center
-check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIQGZNhuzik&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]The Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff[/url]
-Take the McKinney Avenue Trolley from West Village through Uptown
-Have a nice Tex-Mex dinner and a good Frozen Margarita(invented in Dallas)
-Maybe visit the Dallas Farmer's Market; Pecan Lodge BBQ rated #2 in Texas is in shed 2
-Enjoy the amazing Dallas nightlife in Uptown

Hotel prices are a little high in Uptown, but it's really the most central and interesting neighborhood in Dallas. I always find good rates on Hotwire.com!

These videos go into a little more detail about some of the things I suggested:

Dallas Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia - YouTube

Dallas is a Western Destination - YouTube

Moon Over Dallas 2012 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas