Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Choice Best Describes Your Views on Hunting?
It is a Texas tradition and I fully support hunting rights 30 34.48%
I don't believe in hunting at all; it is a cruel activity. It should be outlawed. 2 2.30%
I don't hunt, but have no personal problem with legalized hunting 36 41.38%
I have mixed feelings on it (please explain if desired) 4 4.60%
Hunting may have been justified at one time, but is no longer necessary and should be outlawed/severely restricted 8 9.20%
No opinion/Don't care 5 5.75%
Other (please describe/explain) 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You are aware that many Americans still eat game animals? You may have forgotten but I assure you that wildlife agencies that actively manage wildlife populations, and have the responsibility of deciding what is game and what is not, have not forgotten.
Yes, I know, I eat them when I hit them with my car. But I don't do it on purpose. I don't know anybody who needs to in order to survive

Show me the nice long list of Texas native species that have been added to or removed from the "game" list in the past hundred years. "Game" was decided a long time ago, and because it is now entirely recreational, hasn't been changed. Over 600 species of wild birds occur in Texas. How many are "game"?

I know all about wildlife agencies managing" wildlife populations. When I was growing up, my dad and I could shoot two Canada Geese every day. Now, the bag limit is one per season with a tag awarded by lottery. That's how beautifully "experts" have managed the populations. Of course, erring on the side of hunters, until the species has to be put on the endangered list.

I said I have no objection to people hunting if they want to. I just think it is childish. Not to mention bizarre. If you didn't want to hear my "attitude on hunting", you shouldn't have opened the thread.

Yes, Cotillion. Somebody explain to me the difference between a debutante coming out and a boy getting his first shotgun. Complete with elaborate costume and bragging rights for the parents..

Last edited by jtur88; 09-28-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Yes, Cotillion. Somebody explain to me the difference between a debutante coming out and a boy getting his first shotgun. Complete with elaborate costume and bragging rights for the parents..

Uh....OK, I'll take the bait.

The gun is a useful tool for hunting and getting the game you want to eat. It actually puts food on the table, and provides several meals. The clothes provide protection from the elements--after all, deer hunting season is during the colder months.

Debutante and cotillion stuff are social fluff affairs that serve no purpose other than entertainment--and an ego boost to whomever. I don't see any analogy here at all, but you knew better than that.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, I know, I eat them when I hit them with my car. But I don't do it on purpose. I don't know anybody who needs to in order to survive
LOL Claiming to eat road kill? My oh my. I take it you are desperate for attention.

Quote:

Show me the nice long list of Texas native species that have been added to or removed from the "game" list in the past hundred years. "Game" was decided a long time ago, and because it is now entirely recreational, hasn't been changed. Over 600 species of wild birds occur in Texas. How many are "game"?

I know all about wildlife agencies managing" wildlife populations. When I was growing up, my dad and I could shoot two Canada Geese every day. Now, the bag limit is one per season with a tag awarded by lottery. That's how beautifully "experts" have managed the populations. Of course, erring on the side of hunters, until the species has to be put on the endangered list.
It's really very simple and it's managed in the best way available, with the limits changing, sometimes more restrictive limits on does (for your benefit only ijur88, these are the female deer) and bluntly put, the best possible way to manage a species.

I'm sure you're aware as the rest of us the concerns of our changing environment. So, no need to try and blame hunters or wildlife management on some matters that are out of their ability to control.

But seeing as how all of this is a "game" to you, nothing said here matters one iota to you, just a fulfillment for your quest for attention. So, you can thank me later or not at all, but considering how you have taken this from the bizarre to the utmost silly and bizarre and you have receive considerable attention in your effort, I should think you've accomplished your goal.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,784 times
Quote:
I don't know anybody who needs to in order to survive.
--------
I said I have no objection to people hunting if they want to. I just think it is childish. Not to mention bizarre.
That's right, why be self-reliant and provide a low cost meal to your family when you can just go to McDonalds or the local grocery store where stuff magically appears on the shelves every time you walk in the store.

You may call it childish, but I call it food....to each their own.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
First I should just say, although I do have an interest in wildlife issues, I didn't start this thread.

I will not claim here to be familiar with the detailed ecological characteristics of many of the native species in Texas and I am also not familiar with Texas' species protection programs. I do, however, have a small amount of education and experience in wildlife issues, including endangered and threatened species. I am going to take an educated guess that the reason you are given less Canadian geese tags now versus when you were a child weighs heavier on the fact that there are many more hunters wanting the tags now and not the fact that there are less geese. I would, however, be interested in seeing the population statistics for Canadian geese since the Texas Parks and Wildlife have been actively managing the portion of the population that occurs in Texas.

Most States rely heavily on the Federal Endangered Species Act (ESA) only adding that a species can also be in need of protection within the State's borders. In other words, a species whose range only touches in Texas may be in need of protection in the State even if it is not protected nationally.

The Federal list of endangered and threatened species became law under the ESA of 1973 during the Administration of Richard Nixon. Although many of the species placed on the initial list were there as a result of unregulated hunting in the past, no species has ever been placed on that list as a result of anything a modern State wildlife agency has done, or failed to do.

Your derogatory comment regarding young hunters is noted and ignored. Let me assure you I have heard much worse from both sides of the table.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Sorry, y'all... but I just gotta take the bait here (as you said originally, Cathy!), even if it might mean this person gets more attention. The proverbial 15 minutes of fame predicted by Andy Warhol, perhaps? LOL

Quote:
=jtur88;31588092]Yes, I know, I eat them when I hit them with my car. But I don't do it on purpose. I don't know anybody who needs to in order to survive.
Then why do you get out there and scrape them off the road? But seriously, your lame sarcasm doesn't fly over anyone's head...just in case you have strange notion otherwise. Naw, it is only to match one sophomoric absurdity with another!

Need what in order to survive? Hunting or to pick up road kill?

Quote:
Show you a list? You ask the question backwards. As in, why don't you show a list of game that is in any danger at all of becoming endangered?

As it is? Those which are numerous enough to be hunted today with no danger at all of becoming placed on the endangered species list? Well, it is largely due to the efforts of hunters. Ducks Unlimited is a great example.

Wetlands, Conservation, Waterfowl, Duck Hunting - World Leader in Wetlands Conservation - Ducks Unlimited

Quote:
See above. Where do you live and where did you grow up? The answer to THIS question, might provide quite a bit of insight into the basis for your opinions and outlook.

Quote:
I said I have no objection to people hunting if they want to. I just think it is childish. Not to mention bizarre.
No, what is bizarre are those, apparently such as yourself, who eat meat/poultry, and pay others to kill it for you...then fool themselves into believing they actually have a moral soapbox to speak from! LOL

*considering* Welllll, I spoke too hasty. As it is, there actually IS a moral difference. Responsible hunters kill their own and eat what they take. Those such as yourself are simply hypocrites who

Quote:
If you didn't want to hear my "attitude on hunting", you shouldn't have opened the thread.
ROFLMAO. Are you for real? Who ever said no one wanted to hear your attitudes on hunting? Are you really so self-absorbed you have some underlying notion that this thread was actually predicated upon something like "gosh, I sure do hope that jtur88 offers an opinion, else it will all be in vain!" Oh gawd...

However, in the spirit of Texas hospitality and patience, let me carefully explain: ANYONE is encouraged to offer an opinion on it. That is why such an option is included and encouraged.

BUT? If you are a mature poster -- operative adjective here -- then you should expect that your position and rationale for the same just might be challenged by others. And you should be prepared to defend it! After all, you challenged those of others, right?

Quote:
If you have to ask such a silly-assed question, you wouldn't understand the answer anyway. Besides, it has been explained to you...

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-28-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
That's right, why be self-reliant and provide a low cost meal to your family when you can just go to McDonalds or the local grocery store where stuff magically appears on the shelves every time you walk in the store.

You may call it childish, but I call it food....to each their own.
OK, I'll use hunting to provide "low cost" food for my family. How much does my starter set cost? Gun, ammo, offroad vehicle, dog, fuel, suitable clothing and gear, hunting license, gun safety training, professional processing of the game, meat storage, time off work to go hunting, lease fees for access to lands, etc. Show me how "low cost" it is.

One of the reasons I stopped hunting when I got out of school was because I couldn't afford to sustain the high cost of getting this "low cost food". If you want to hunt, that's your business, but spare me the tired old fib about hunting being a cheaper way to get food than buying it at retail.

I know that stuff does not "magically appear" on supermarket shelves. Hunters and gatherers go out and bring it in. Without them, we'd have nothing to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

BUT? If you are a mature poster -- operative adjective here -- then you should expect that your position and rationale for the same just might be challenged by others. And you should be prepared to defend it! After all, you challenged those of others, right?

And THIS is what you expect me to defend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I take it you are desperate for attention.

nothing said here matters one iota to you, just a fulfillment for your quest for attention.:
I expressed an opinion, and explained why I held that opinion, without insulting anyone or casting any malevolent aspersions on anyone. And I have not received a single response that was even civil, much less thoughtful.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-28-2013 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
OK, I'll use hunting to provide "low cost" food for my family. How much does my starter set cost? Gun, ammo, offroad vehicle, dog, fuel, suitable clothing and gear, hunting license, gun safety training, professional processing of the game, meat storage, time off work to go hunting, lease fees for access to lands, etc. Show me how "low cost" it is.

One of the reasons I stopped hunting when I got out of school was because I couldn't afford to sustain the high cost of getting this "low cost food".

I know that stuff does not "magically appear" on supermarket shelves. Hunters and gatherers go out and bring it in. Without them, we'd have nothing to eat.
But a lot of those things are one time or occasional expenses. It's along the lines of "give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I've said what I wanted to say. Adios ya'll.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,784 times
Quote:

One of the reasons I stopped hunting when I got out of school was because I couldn't afford to sustain the high cost of getting this "low cost food". If you want to hunt, that's your business, but spare me the tired old fib about hunting being a cheaper way to get food than buying it at retail.
You went hunting with your dad, do you not have a gun anymore? No friends or family members have a gun you can borrow? Why do you need an off-road vehicle? Can't park inside the fence and use your legs? Why do you need a dog? I'm sure you have some type of clothing in your closet that would work just fine. You were born before September 2, 1971, you don't need a hunters safety education class. Gun safety can be reviewed in a couple minutes if you have forgotten which end the bullet comes out, and whether the gun has a safety switch or not. Why do you need to get the meat professionally processed? Can't clean/quarter/process your own meat? No freezer already? Why do you need to take time off of work? Do you work 365.25 days per year? That sucks. No family or friends that have land that they would let you hunt on? Nobody in Victoria that has land that would be willing to barter a hunt for something that you could provide?

If you aren't resourceful enough to limit your costs, then that is your problem. I can hunt cheaply, and between deer, hogs, and the one heifer we butcher per year, the only meat I buy at the store is chicken (and I'm working on ending that as well). No clue what beef is going for in the grocery store, but I do know that we are getting around $1.50 per pound on the cattle that we've sold at auction, so I'm sure the price is high.

100lb deer will yield about 40lbs of meat. 5 deer limit=~200lbs of meat
100lb hog will yield about 75lbs of meat. No limit on hogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas