Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
As far as size is concerned, I post the best of the best in Dallas...all of which happen to be bigger and higher quality (architecture/building materials) than ones in Houston.

And which photos are McMansions? None. Look up the definition of McMansion so you don't misuse the term.
not misusing the term... a few were definitely "mcmansions". as for some of the others, we can agree to disagree. a good few did lack the "mc" and could be considered mansions though..

most of River Oaks houses are also confined to the size of the property.. only a few lots on some of the outer streets are very expansive. for that reason some of the bigger homes in the city are in the suburbs where there is more land.

here are some River Oaks homes that seemed noteworthy and offered some architectural variety, when i was looking at the satellite view on my phone (since many are hidden from street view like i pointed out earlier).

the pool of this mansion is just as big as the main house.. there is even a boat in the pool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Both Dallas Fort Worth and Houston Galveston have great architecture. Galveston really has some true historic gems. John Staub did a lot for Houston with all the homes he built in River Oaks and Shadyside. The Cullen/Wyatt now Flores Mansion next to the country club is my favorite.
I covet those John Staub homes! Although, I like the more modest Charles Dilbeck & Clifford Hutsell Electric designed buildings in Dallas better:

Shenandoah Dilbeck
Shenandoah Dilbeck

Lakewood Dilbeck

Belmont Hotel Dilbeck

Lakewood Hutsell

Quote:
Besides Highland Park Village putting the homes in those pictures to shame, photo 13 (same home in photos 15 and 20) is good, but all the rest just aren't in the same league being either newly-built McMansions or just downright gaudy (the interior of the home in the fourth photo is as tacky as tacky gets.) The combination of style, landscape architecture, and building materials is just lacking in Houston's housing real estate.

Aside from the Mediterranean style, where are the French ones? English? Modern?
I have to agree. The Houston Spanish/Medditaranian*examples were tacky as hell. Not that I could afford them, but none of them were enticing whatsoever.

Some people may think my Favorite house in Highland Park is tacky though, but I love it:

Architect Tom Workman Designed House in Highland Park Neighborhood - 4200 Armstrong Parkway, Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
^^^
This is my favorite set. I know where everything is accept the white 4 story house. Is it around Turtle Creek?

This video really shows off one of my favorite Dallas buildings, the infomart building at Oak Lawn Ave. and Stemmons:

Dallas Sky - YouTube
Inside:

More...

Dallas From Above - YouTube

State Fair of Texas - YouTube

Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I have to agree. The Houston Spanish/Medditaranian*examples were tacky as hell. Not that I could afford them, but none of them were enticing whatsoever.

Some people may think my Favorite house in Highland Park is tacky though, but I love it:

Architect Tom Workman Designed House in Highland Park Neighborhood - 4200 Armstrong Parkway, Dallas, Texas
i always have to LOL when someone from Dallas says something (outside of their city) is tacky..

and yeah, that house you linked in HP looked way tacky...

Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 AM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,783,252 times
@Ronnie, I call that house the Dr Suess house.
The style of the house is more wacky instead of tacky....it's not trying to be some sort of palatial estate, it's content with being estranged to its neighbors. That said, the design was done very well, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM

213 posts, read 388,179 times
Ronnie, the Cullen/Wyatt/Flores mansion is probably one of the greatest mansions in the country.Thank you John Staub. Did you know that was the first house in Houston to have central heat and air when Hugh Roy Cullen built it in the great depression. Texas Social Queen Lynn Wyatt had everyone from Princess Margaret to Mick Jagger as house guests. It represents Houston oil money.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Galveston's architecture is what saves Houston...IMO

But with that said...No one really visits Galveston when they visit Houston so people never see the nice architecture..

Last edited by dallasboi; 10-16-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 04:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Galveston's architecture is what saves Houston...IMO
Then that must also mean Fort Worth's architecture is what saves Dallas' ass.

Quote:
But with that said...No one really visits Galveston when they visit Houston so people never see the nice architecture..
BS

If you visit Houston, you're most likely also going to visit Galveston, especially during the Spring & Summer months where Galveston's normal population of 48,000 swells into the hundreds of thousands.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_a...aee7bd9a1.html

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-16-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,783,252 times
Galveston's architecture does save Houston, good point (even though Galveston is over 50 miles from Houston's and is not a part of Houston.) Houston is just a sprawling city of boring, boxy, bland buildings. Not to mention that the quality severely lacks.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Galveston's architecture does save Houston, good point (even though Galveston is over 50 miles from Houston's and is not a part of Houston.) Houston is just a sprawling city of boring, boxy, bland buildings. Not to mention that the quality severely lacks.
Galveston is just as much a part of Houston's metro as Fort Worth or Denton is Dallas'.

Reunion Tower is just hideous. It was modeled after a grain silo. This came straight from Ray Hunt's mouth, the man who built it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...s-landmark.ece

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-16-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas